Make a donation

Author Topic: VW Golf GTI (MK5) -- Amber Steering Light  (Read 3650 times)

Duffer

VW Golf GTI (MK5) -- Amber Steering Light
« on: March 15, 2016, 02:43:06 pm »
Hi All,

Newbie to site so apologies if this topic is in the wrong location. Any help on this issue is greatly appreciated.

The car has 151klm on the clock. No steering rack changes that I'm aware of as I only have the car since August.

Long story short, I dropped my car off yesterday to have the front discs and pads changed, oil change and dog bone engine mount insert fitted. As I know the mechanic I waited around and watched him work on the car as I didn't expect it to take to long. The passenger side disc which is held in place by a screw was knackered so he tried his utmost to remove eventually resorting to using a lump hammer after chiseling away at it. He gave the discs a fair few knocks and eventually it came off. Besides that everything was done and I was ready to head off. When I started the car the amber power steering light came and wouldn't go off. The mechanic instructed me to go on a drive and should turn off. I came back and it was still illuminated. He checked the fault and it was a "steering angle sensor" fault. He reset the fault and low and behold a few minutes later it came back on.

The steering is fine so far but I'm hoping he hasn't damaged the rack with the force applied to removing the disc. I'll be heading back this evening to try and resolve the issue. The car drives in a straight line no pulling to either left or right and the steering wheel is as it should be also. I'm going to bring a new battery and he'll track the car and try the VCDS calibration if the new battery doesn't resolve the issue.

I know the steering racks are a common issue but I'm trying to narrow it down to the below as steering rack replacement is worse case scenario;

ABS Sensor passenger side
Low Voltage Battery - 12.6V whilst the car is off
Loose earth connection from rack to subframe
Steering position sensor
Steering bushes
Tracking
Track Rod issues

Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated. I'll let you know how I get on later.  :thinking:

Offline doylebros

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
Re: VW Golf GTI (MK5) -- Amber Steering Light
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 07:12:22 pm »
Get it scan with VCDS and post your scan up for what codes are shown.

Also add the clock spring to that list cause without the full scan your list will get longer.

Duffer

Re: VW Golf GTI (MK5) -- Amber Steering Light
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 09:56:15 pm »
Just back from the garage and he didn't have the vcds software at hand but tested the fault using BOSCH software.

Fault = Steering Torque Sensor  (G269) Not a Plausible Signal

We tried all the recalibration methods and ensured power supply (terminal 15) was On and nothing changed. We tracked the car in case it was an alignment issue. I'll be back over Friday to put it on the vcds software and post the data then. Steering seems fine so far,  no red light as of yet. Mechanic ex VW believes it's the clock spring sensor 99%.

Thanks for the response @ doylebros