Make a donation

Author Topic: Rear ABS ring / speed sensor issue?  (Read 5162 times)

Offline markrtw

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
Rear ABS ring / speed sensor issue?
« on: March 16, 2016, 03:41:37 pm »
My 05 gti got an ABS error light just before Xmas. Did a bit of research and it seemed the likely cause would be the ABS ring, so the car went to the garage and had a new rear bearing. All is good now until you hit 77mph (or cruise for a bit at 72) and the ABS light comes on.
I have since replaced the ABS / speed sensor to rule that out and it made no difference.

My thinking is that the ABS ring could be slightly warped, so at speed the sensor cannot track it and was thinking of popping off the brake caliper on the other side and noting the gap between the sensor and the ring and how even the gap is as the hub is turned, then comparing it with the problem side.

I'm just wondering what the consensus is on here, am I on the right lines?

Also, I tried unbolting the caliper carrier on the problem side, but could not get enough leverage to do it as I could not find a way to use my longer breaker bar (about 75cm) in that area as in every direction there is stuff in the way. What's the best solution? Remove the shock / spring for more room?

Offline Nasir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 28
Re: Rear ABS ring / speed sensor issue?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 02:11:50 pm »
Instead of guessing, read the fault code and the car will point you in the right direction.
Shadow Blue 2007 GTI DSG (Standard)

Offline Pesky jones

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 03:04:32 pm »
did they replace it with a LUSAS bearing by any chance? A.K.A a non genuine hub for about 60ish quid?

Mine did the same thing, fixed the issue until you got to 75ish mph. Replaced with genuine hub and bearing and no problems since.

I went through the exact same thing with not being able to get leverage with the car on axle stands. its an annoying bolt to undo. The bar would just about take tension before it hit the ground.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 03:07:19 pm by Peskyjones »

Offline markrtw

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 03:48:26 pm »
I was lead to believe it was a genuine hub (certainly cost enough).
The error code is:

Address 03: ABS Brakes        Labels: 1K0-907-379-MK60-F.lbl
   Part No: 1K0 907 379 K
   Component: ESP FRONT MK60      0104 
   Coding: 0004738
   Shop #: WSC 01279 785 00200
   VCID: 3A7B6E3D75C677EE7F-806E

1 Fault Found:
00287 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor; Rear Right (G44)
            003 - Mechanical Failure - Intermittent

I'm not just guessing as the 1st thing I always do is get out VCDS, the question is why is it intermittent, hence asking if it sounds like the symptoms of a warped ring.

Offline Pesky jones

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 03:58:46 pm »
Well mine was intermittent as well, same code as you but for my rear n/s

Er I cant really offer any advice as I would have put money on a non genuine hub being the problem as it was what cured mine.

genuine hub is 130ish

Offline markrtw

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 10:41:21 pm »
Well its fixed. The (genuine) hub was at fault. Looked like a bearing issue which put the sender ring out of tolerance, as the rear seal had gone as soon as it was fitted and it had chucked out loads of grease which had coated everything. The garage changed the hub again and all is well.