Make a donation

Author Topic: Cambelt kit & Waterpump?  (Read 4661 times)

Offline M4T VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Cambelt kit & Waterpump?
« on: March 26, 2016, 01:05:20 pm »
Hi all

Picked up an edition 30 last week with 94k on the clock. It came with some service history but Im trying to read between the lines at the moment. In the service book at 89k (29/08/2014) it had a service where the "Toothed belt" and "Tensioning roller" were changed. It also has been written at the bottom "Cambelt kit + waterpump"
Is the cambelt kit and waterpump a job that is normally done at the same time? Sadly I have no invoice for it and called the garage who don't keep that info (non main dealer).
Would the cambelt kit include the chain or is that separate? I can change that myself as I have done the timing chains on my R32 before but don't want to change it if its already been done! Is there anyway to check this? On the R32 you could look at the readings in VCDS and see if it's stretched or not. I have full VCDS thankfully.
I have a slight oil leak under the cover plate for the chain so it's been off at some point, I'm just not sure if that was for the belt or the chain.

Cheers
Mat

Patrick2691

Re: Cambelt kit & Waterpump?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 03:16:10 pm »
It's unlikely the chain would have been replaced with the belt as they are separate jobs. I'm not sure it's even a service item is oficially is it? The belt should be done every 4 years or 50k

Sent from my LG-H955 using Tapatalk

Offline M4T VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 08:41:44 pm »
Ok, thanks. That's what I wanted to know. As I say the belt was done in August 2014 and it's only done 5000 miles so that's ok. I have no doubts that this wasn't done as the leak shows the cover has been taken off.
Do you know when the chain needs doing and is there a way to check it?
I'm half way through the loba hpfp install and was expecting to find the cam follower a mess but it actually looked brand new! Not a single mark on it, But replaced it anyway.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 679
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 11:53:11 am »
Measuring block 93 for your static cam position.  Should be around -2KW with a new chain.  Measuring block 91 should read 28KW Specified, 27.5KW Actual.   Cam range is -33 to +28.

I changed the chain on my Ed30 at 98K.  It wasn't exhibiting the typical 'diesel clatter' of the AXX engine, but it was a bit too noisy for my liking. 

You might want to check what your water temp is when hot too.  Very common to see 75 deg instead of 90 on a cruise.  Thermostat housing is a pain to change - Alternator off, belt tensioner off, boost pipe from nearside end of intercooler to throttle body hose off and then it's accessible.  It's not difficult, just timing consuming.

Same with the chain. Absolute piece of p1ss compared to the R32, but you really must use the VW cam locking tool and polydrive socket to remove the cam phaser bolt imo.  Pattern tools aren't man enough it seems.

A slight leak under the chain cover is common and not necessarily a sign it's been replaced.  Probably the vaccum pump O ring, which is simple to change out.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 12:09:28 pm »
What was yours reading before you changed the chain pudding? Ive got an OEM cam tool kit coming this week hopfully

Offline M4T VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 12:13:09 pm »
Excellent, Thanks for the info pudding. I will check it out to see what VCDS says.
Yes my water temp is below the 90 some times. I'm thinking of pulling the engine at the end of the year for a recon so most of these things will get done.

Where did you get the tool from Rich?

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 12:19:39 pm »
Borrowing it from someone, but I believe that David at Sere (seat dealer) can get them.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 02:41:19 pm »
What was yours reading before you changed the chain pudding? Ive got an OEM cam tool kit coming this week hopfully

I didn't check it beforehand as I didn't know which measuring block it was at the time.  I trawled the net afterwards to find the info in case I got mine a tooth off, but seems it's bang on.  It would be interesting to see what a worn chain measures in block 93 though, just for reference!   

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 02:44:41 pm »
Ill check mine before I change it. 96000 miles

Offline M4T VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 05:13:04 pm »
Yes, I'm on 94k so will also check.

Offline M4T VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2016, 11:28:00 am »
Measuring block 93 for your static cam position.  Should be around -2KW with a new chain.  Measuring block 91 should read 28KW Specified, 27.5KW Actual.   Cam range is -33 to +28.

I changed the chain on my Ed30 at 98K.  It wasn't exhibiting the typical 'diesel clatter' of the AXX engine, but it was a bit too noisy for my liking. 

You might want to check what your water temp is when hot too.  Very common to see 75 deg instead of 90 on a cruise.  Thermostat housing is a pain to change - Alternator off, belt tensioner off, boost pipe from nearside end of intercooler to throttle body hose off and then it's accessible.  It's not difficult, just timing consuming.

Same with the chain. Absolute piece of p1ss compared to the R32, but you really must use the VW cam locking tool and polydrive socket to remove the cam phaser bolt imo.  Pattern tools aren't man enough it seems.

A slight leak under the chain cover is common and not necessarily a sign it's been replaced.  Probably the vaccum pump O ring, which is simple to change out.

So here are my VCDS screens from these measuring blocks. I'm not sure if the engine should be running or not so I have taken both readings.

Block 91

Block 91 with the engine running

Block 93 (Static cam)

Block 93 Running (static cam)

What do you think? The engine has 94K on it. I'm bang on for -2KW on the static cam and also 28KW Specified. The only one out is the actual which is 28-28.5KW.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2016, 12:56:11 pm »
Looks to be within spec then.  Seen quite a few now with those numbers.  I'm not sure chain wear affects the static positions in the same way it does on the R32.

On the R32 the cam adjusters start at 0 and then advance.  Looking at the solenoid duty on the TFSI, it seems to do the opposite - cam starts at max advance and retards!   So I'm thinking the ECU will just keep retarding until it hits the -2KW target, thereby taking up any chain slack?

I data logged my old R32 and didn't see retard at all, well, the exhaust cam did a bit during warm up but that was it.

I've data logged my ED30 and the cam advances and retards all over the shop.  Idle = max advance, touch the gas and it retards.  Get on the road and give it some beans and it advances again.  Strange, but I guess that's how VW tuned it.

If the chain is noisy, I'd do it.  Well, I'd do it anyway tbh as it's a known issue and prevention is cheaper than the cure  :smiley:

Offline M4T VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2016, 08:09:49 pm »
Ok thanks, I think I will still do it when I pull the engine next for my own piece of mind!

Cheers for the help.

Offline shoaybmakda

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2016, 01:21:19 am »
@M4T VW what did you have to choose in VCDS to get to that screen? I'm a bit of a newbie into the VCDS world so still feeling my way round

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2016, 10:33:15 am »
Connect VCDS to the engine, go to the Engine module, then go to Measuring blocks, then type in the relevant numbers.   If you click "Advanced Measuring blocks", it will give you a big table of all of the ones relevant to your engine code.