Make a donation

Author Topic: Better mpg.  (Read 12974 times)

Offline dajonic

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 6
Better mpg.
« on: January 10, 2010, 03:06:46 am »
With all the cold weather should I expect better mpg from my car? If i'm right in thinking colder air is more dense and should lead to better combustion and therefore more miles per tank how come all other things being the same I'm down 5 mpg. Can air be too cold? What'd you reckon?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 06:45:46 am by dajonic »

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
Re: Better mpg.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 07:29:51 am »
Your logic is sound but as its so cold it takes a lot longer for engine to get up to temperature and consequently is running rich for longer trying to get itself warm.  Gives with one hand and takes with the other...
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 08:49:20 am »
As above, plus if its anything like here its taking twice as long to get to work due to the traffic and therefore my car is idling longer

Offline TagnuT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 08:53:26 am »
Also you usually have more things turned on e.g. heated seat, heated rear window, heater turned on to a higher setting which uses more juice.
Bye Bye Edition 30.

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 19
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Project MUBster DUBster Evolution
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 10:05:27 am »
If it's any consolation my mpg has plummeted.  Probably, because of everything running together: heated seats, heated wing mirrors and washer jets, rear windscreen defroster, and obviously the heater...

I've also noticed the car takes ages to heat up idling...you really need to start moving for it to heat up properly...and I guess whilst the engine hasn't heated up to it's proper level - the cars running on choke.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 11:31:03 am »
my MPG has plummetted as well in this weather, and has been lower than normal for the last couple months

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 11:52:23 am »
Me too, struggling to hit 300 miles to tank on all my short journeys. Our Cooper s struggles to hit 260 miles to the same amount of fuel at the moment. 560 miles to £110 is not good

Offline dajonic

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 11:45:35 pm »
Cheers guys that explain its. I'm loving the cold and snow but the commute and mpg's killing the bank balance.

Offline Lyons

• Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 04:56:54 pm »
Thought id bump this thread up rather than starting a new one.

I got my GTi around Christmas time and got just under 400 miles to my last tank.

I do a 5 mile round trip to work daily, plus 30miles to the airport every friday and the same back on a monday morning.

I dont drive hard all the time, but not like a total granda either. Up to the airport on friday i averaged 36.2mpg at 80mph, but managed 46.8mpg last week when i drove 20 miles across city through traffic and at 50mph or so on dual carriageways. I would usually sit at 65 on the way to the airport and average 42 or so.

To be honest, those figures are FAR better than i ever expected to get from a GTI, and its the winter.

A mate has a DSG and he averages 33mpg and 330 miles to a tank.

Are other folk achieving similar figures to me?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 05:30:26 pm »
I've no idea at all how many miles I do to a tankful but my display shows I usually get 30-32 mpg on any journey of 100 miles plus, and I drive my DSG 95% of the time in Manual (even M'ways) and I use the gears a lot. If the journey involves lots of B-road twisties my mpg will drop in direct ratio to my enjoyment.

I haven't noticed my mpg change seasonally.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline GTIlee

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 06:07:23 pm »
I have a DSG and i have it in Drive most of the time and im lucky if it goes above 29.9!

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 07:40:30 pm »
Thought id bump this thread up rather than starting a new one.

I got my GTi around Christmas time and got just under 400 miles to my last tank.

I do a 5 mile round trip to work daily, plus 30miles to the airport every friday and the same back on a monday morning.

I dont drive hard all the time, but not like a total granda either. Up to the airport on friday i averaged 36.2mpg at 80mph, but managed 46.8mpg last week when i drove 20 miles across city through traffic and at 50mph or so on dual carriageways. I would usually sit at 65 on the way to the airport and average 42 or so.

To be honest, those figures are FAR better than i ever expected to get from a GTI, and its the winter.

A mate has a DSG and he averages 33mpg and 330 miles to a tank.

Are other folk achieving similar figures to me?

That does sound very very good.  I do a similar commute, about 5 miles each way though.  Half through town, half on a fast DC and my average is around 25 mpg at the moment, gets closer to 30 in the summer.  Engine isn't up to the proper temp these days on the commute.

On long trips if you stay at a steady speed it is surprisingly economical.  Best I got (mostly as I was stuck in a convoy on roads I couldn't overtake was ...

Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 07:55:46 pm »
^^^^
How on earth do some people get as much as 40 mpg!?

Even with a sick turbo and my Revo switched to 'Stock' and staying in D all the time and not giving any sudden throttle, I still only managed 35 mpg IIRC.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 08:35:33 pm »
The best I've managed is 44mpg, the pic below is a 74 mile journey from a full tank with a range of 415 miles so 487 from the tank if i kept going :happy2:  See how little the needle has moved, not getting more than 35mpg on runs in this weather though - usually closer to 32mpg :sad1:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 08:36:10 pm »
RR, I can get 40+mpg by staying at 60mph on cruise control, 6th gear.

Going at say 80mph, I'd get 30-35mpg.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.