Make a donation

Author Topic: Revo camcoat intake rattle?  (Read 4218 times)

Offline M4T VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Revo camcoat intake rattle?
« on: March 28, 2016, 07:46:59 pm »
Hi Guys

I installed the Revo camcoat intake yesterday and my heat shield rattles on top of the radiator. I'm sure I have fitted it correctly as per the (limited) instructions. I have one piece left over that Is not mentioned in the instructions so i'm just checking I have it correct. The piece is a small black rectangle of metal, A bracket of some kind. It's about 10mm x 25mm and has 2 holes either end. Should this be used somewhere?

If the rattle is correct I can fix it fine, Just wondering if anyone else had to "modify" it in some way?

Cheers
Mat

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
Re: Revo camcoat intake rattle?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 11:21:38 pm »
Can you post a pic of the part?
I suspect it's this
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline PhilNUK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 01:05:22 am »
That's interesting...  I had a Revo fitted a few weeks ago and after fitting it I put photos on Facebook of it....  Immediately people picked up on the fact I had a small bracket on mine that noone else had on theirs...  It was basically between the engine mount and the midsection pipe. It acted as a pivot...  I went back to the dealer who told me that Revo are sending them out after some complaints that the pipe when mounted directly to the engine was causing the engine mount to snap due to vibration... 
I thought it sounded a bit suspect as the bracket didn't look very well made to be honest and I assumed the guys who fitted it just did it wrong...  I got them to remove it and I had a spacer with a rubber insert fitted instead..

So this is the first time I have heard someone else got a bracket

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 08:48:00 am »
That's interesting...  I had a Revo fitted a few weeks ago and after fitting it I put photos on Facebook of it....  Immediately people picked up on the fact I had a small bracket on mine that noone else had on theirs...  It was basically between the engine mount and the midsection pipe. It acted as a pivot...  I went back to the dealer who told me that Revo are sending them out after some complaints that the pipe when mounted directly to the engine was causing the engine mount to snap due to vibration... 
I thought it sounded a bit suspect as the bracket didn't look very well made to be honest and I assumed the guys who fitted it just did it wrong...  I got them to remove it and I had a spacer with a rubber insert fitted instead..

So this is the first time I have heard someone else got a bracket

Do still have those pics? They paint a thousand words :-)

Offline Paavo

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
  • GTI engine on a CC
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,103034.0.html
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 09:15:59 am »
I also just fitted my Revo intake on Sunday. I at first used the bracket that OP describes between the engine mount and the mid section like PhilNUK did but I then realized that there was a lot of movement on the whole assembly. After realigning the heat shield I was able to get the mid section low enough to fit it directly to the engine mount using the small nylon bushing between the mount and the pipe.

I did notice that after removing the small bracket there was a lot more vibration coming through from the engine compared to when I had the bracket on. All in all I'm really not sure anymore which option would be the best.

As for the OP, the bracket will not help with rattle coming from the heat shield. But at least I was able to tighten up the heat shield so that there were no rattles so just make sure that you have everything properly fastened.
VW Eos 2.0 TFSi 2007 (APR Stage 1)

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 09:41:42 am »

What have Revo said?

Offline M4T VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 12:16:34 pm »
bacillus, I have that one fitted correctly and the one on the front that uses the hole from the OE intake. I have also used the spacer from the engine mount to the pipe. Still have this one bracket left unless it's meant for a KO3 setup or a different car maybe?

I have not contacted revo yet, I was just asking to see if anyone has had the same problem. I will try and take a picture of it later if i can get away from my office today.  :fighting2:

Offline PhilNUK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 01:27:58 pm »
I also just fitted my Revo intake on Sunday. I at first used the bracket that OP describes between the engine mount and the mid section like PhilNUK did but I then realized that there was a lot of movement on the whole assembly. After realigning the heat shield I was able to get the mid section low enough to fit it directly to the engine mount using the small nylon bushing between the mount and the pipe.

I did notice that after removing the small bracket there was a lot more vibration coming through from the engine compared to when I had the bracket on. All in all I'm really not sure anymore which option would be the best.

As for the OP, the bracket will not help with rattle coming from the heat shield. But at least I was able to tighten up the heat shield so that there were no rattles so just make sure that you have everything properly fastened.

yeah I wasn't happy with the movement with the bracket as the whole thing pivotted very easily..

Apparently they have had engine mounts on a Cupra snap when its been fitted directly to the engine.

I will have to try and dig out the pic on facebook of the intake fitted with the bracket... The bracket just looked like a cheap off cut as well.

Offline M4T VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 04:56:36 pm »
Here are the the pictures of how i have fitted mine.

This is the engine to pipe fitting using the plastic spacer. It's not that secure and does move a little.

Rear of the heat shield.

Front of the heat shield. (I fitted the rubber strip to try and stop it rattling on the radiator but it didnt work)

And the left over bracket

Offline PhilNUK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 07:49:10 pm »
Yep the Revo approved place I had mine fitted at put that left over bracket between the engine mount and the mid-pipe instead of the spacer