Make a donation

Author Topic: The golf and my experience 40 minutes ago pouring down with rain M1  (Read 4727 times)

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
It's a very good car as I've just come off the M1 going onto the M25 and the car at 70mph snaked on me with my wife and two kids in the back but luckily I was saved some how as my wife's heart jumped out and I nearly had a fit in panic as first the back slid across and then the front in the opposite direction and the car came back into control for the love of the Lord we are blessed as a lorry was behind me and a car a little further back.  :scared:
two minutes before that there were three cars one on the central reservation facing me when I slowed right down and two on the hard shoulder. stupid wan*** in his range rover blasting right up my rear really pi**** me off as he didn't care about the hazard that was present.  :slap:

no idea what happened and why the car did this as I have good tyres on and at least 5mm on each tyre. maybe aqua planned.

Offline shail

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,99663.msg979899.html#msg979899
Re: The golf and my experience 40 minutes ago pouring down with rain M1
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 08:50:26 am »
Glad you and your family are OK!

It does sound like aqua planing. No matter what car youve got, if the water can't get out from under your tyres, your in trouble.

This is one of the reasons I change my tyres at 3mm - people think im mad, but with 2 kids as well I think the small additional cost is worth it.

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 10:40:48 am »
Glad to hear you and the family are safe and ok! I always think these things are almost a good thing, almost like a bit of a reality check with no bad consequences

Offline shail

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 32
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,99663.msg979899.html#msg979899
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 12:15:28 pm »
Glad to hear you and the family are safe and ok! I always think these things are almost a good thing, almost like a bit of a reality check with no bad consequences

Totally agree.  My first car when I was 20 - had to brake hard on the motorway in the wet, just about managed to stop about 1cm from the guy in front.  Since then I always leave loads of room in the wet!

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 06:01:52 pm »
 @shail @Peskyjones thanks a lot guys, it was so scary at the time and believe me when I say I've experienced aqua planning before but this one felt like someone slapped the car from side to side and put the scare of life into me as at that moment I just thought of my wife and kids  :scared:

Luckily car was pushed back how ever it was and we were safe. forget 150mph 70 with those winds was scary enough.

Thanks again for your kind words  :love:

R5 

Offline Horatio

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 06:18:24 pm »
Drive to conditions of the road  :happy2:  or youre gonna have a bad time....mmmkay
2007 Black Magic DSG Golf GTI Edition 30. No.1231
.:R32 "milk and juice come in 2 litres"
I run a dirty campervan, need scrubbers

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 07:47:48 pm »
Drive to conditions of the road  :happy2:  or youre gonna have a bad time....mmmkay
It was a scary time as the winds were servere and I thought 70 was slow. I think it was a warning sign as it was like a horror movie when someone throws you side to side  :scared: I don't think anyone would imagine what happened as it was the scariest moment in my 20+ years of driving. I've aqua planned before but this was something unreal.

Offline mdmay

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 09:27:17 pm »
When it's as bad as that out I will happily be found in the inside line doing well less than 70

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Regards,

Mike

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 09:33:39 pm »
Aquaplaning in a straight line is different to changing direction coupled with strong winds. Take it you had the ESP on? If so I would attribute a lot of your luck to that.... It is fantastic and invaluable in exactly this kind of situation
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 09:46:35 pm »
When it's as bad as that out I will happily be found in the inside line doing well less than 70

Damn right. Keeping away from lorries too. Seen those snaking about in front of me when it's just a bit breezy.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 11:14:22 pm »
Aquaplaning in a straight line is different to changing direction coupled with strong winds. Take it you had the ESP on? If so I would attribute a lot of your luck to that.... It is fantastic and invaluable in exactly this kind of situation
Yes you're right as in a straight line it's okay but what happened in my situation was freaking frightening. Esp always on.

I moved away from the lorry as there are four to five lanes I think then it goes onto the M25 route and it happened as I was about to come onto the M25 exit before the huge bend.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 11:18:25 pm by r5gtt »

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 11:20:08 pm »

Damn right. Keeping away from lorries too. Seen those snaking about in front of me when it's just a bit breezy.
I always do and this time I was doing 79 down towards the M25 when the car scared the living crap out of me and the wife.  :scared: I told her it wasn't my fault and she said nothing.

Offline Adam0604

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 34
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,97534.0.html
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2016, 06:39:25 pm »
Had a similar scenario myself on the M5 back from West Brom to Halesowen after work recently. Very wet on the motorway, not really enough to Aqua plane too bad though. Was in the outside lane doing a steady 60-65, lorry however decided it would be a top idea to stick in the middle lane doing same speed. Some twat in inside lane nipped in front of the lorry causing him to brake quickly ...

Never have I sh*t myself so much in a car ... And I've been in two crashes, one big one.
Lorry having slammed his brakes on snaked HARD towards me in outside lane! Eased off the gas a bit, and dropped it a gear rather than brake hard myself and risk snaking myself. Thankfully the driver caught the oversteer well and stuck it. Genuinely thought I was going to be one of those fatal car crashes you see on the motorway that day.

Offline LondonGT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2016, 06:58:24 pm »
70 may seem fine but cars these days make speed easy to handle when actually it's more than conditions dictate.

Lucky you didn't crash, remember with aqua planning point the wheels where you are heading because when you get traction the danger is the snap back in line, which is what you likely experienced- at 70 the slightest misalignment will make it twitch badly.

Glad you're ok and taking the comments a good way.

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2016, 09:07:09 pm »

This. Glad you and your family are all ok!
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+