Make a donation

Author Topic: Can I buy an iPhone in America to use in Ireland?  (Read 2263 times)

Offline lukemk5gti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
Can I buy an iPhone in America to use in Ireland?
« on: March 29, 2016, 09:21:10 am »
Hey guys, I've been googling online and every page contradicts the next on this!

I'm considering getting the iphone 6S plus which happens to be €669 in the US versus €869 in Ireland both from the apple store and both the same model in sim free.

If I buy the american iPhone and bring it back, can I just connect it to an Irish carrier on my current plan?

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
Re: Can I buy an iPhone in America to use in Ireland?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 05:50:25 pm »
What Apple Store Newcastle told me!
I know this sounds daft but if you break it and it's not a warranty repair - say the screen for example, like I did,they'll tell you they have to have the American part to keep your warranty.
Now I couldn't be on with that sh*tie idea so just got a third party one fitted at a fraction of the price.

Offline V2 FAN

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 7
  • Porsche 911 inbound
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 08:31:32 pm »
I have done this previously myself with no issues on the UK network. I travel a fair bit and use country specific sim cards; never had a problem  :happy2:

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 08:38:38 pm »
Yes the phones work great but repairs are tricky.

Offline Degudodger

• Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 86
    • Flickr
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 09:42:14 pm »
Not experienced any issues in the past. Bought my current MBP from Sydney nearly 18 months ago and took out applecare at the same time as it was an absolute bargain. Screen started to flicker intermittently, took it to Apple - Southampton and they replaced the screen without a problem.
2016 Mk7 Golf GTD - Reflex Silver with stuff.

VCDS Hex+Can - Will code for beer!

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 09:49:31 pm »
Not experienced any issues in the past. Bought my current MBP from Sydney nearly 18 months ago and took out applecare at the same time as it was an absolute bargain. Screen started to flicker intermittently, took it to Apple - Southampton and they replaced the screen without a problem.

Hi Andy the son also got MBP from Australia and has had warranty repairs done - see if it's same for none warranty items and where they want to source the repair item from, if your back in the shop anytime soon.

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 08:07:01 am »
What Apple Store Newcastle told me!
I know this sounds daft but if you break it and it's not a warranty repair - say the screen for example, like I did,they'll tell you they have to have the American part to keep your warranty.
Now I couldn't be on with that sh*tie idea so just got a third party one fitted at a fraction of the price.

Pretty much told the same thing. Phone is only covered under American warranty but from past experience with Apple, they will squirm out of the warranty regardless so I would always go third party!

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 09:02:45 am »
I've been told - If you take third party phone insurance they manage to get the repairs through no problem but I was to lazy for all that faff.

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 02:01:16 pm »
Revival of an old one but is anyone intending on buying the iphone 7 in the US?