Make a donation

Author Topic: Rear suspension arm  (Read 1267 times)

Offline SRC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 27
Rear suspension arm
« on: March 23, 2016, 06:13:42 pm »
Hi all
I'm after some advice.  At the recent MOT, I got four advisories.  I'm a perfectionist when it comes to the car, so I'm keen to get the work done but I'd appreciate some advice.
All four refer to the rear suspension arm rubber bushes, nearside & offside and at each end.  According to the garage, the cheapest way to do this job is to replace the suspension arms because the VW bushes only come pre-fitted in the arms.  Alternatively, I could get plastic bushes for less but the labour cost involved would mean no overall saving plus the ride quality would suffer.
I haven't used this garage before but they were knowledgeable and I have no reason to doubt them.  I just want to check that this is right and that the >£500 I was quoted was fair.   
Thanks

Shadow blue DSG 5 door with leather, sunroof, 18" Monzas, MFSW. 
Full list of mods:  Seat inserts and a VW bottle opener.  Each worth 20bhp.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Re: Rear suspension arm
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 06:16:36 pm »
They're right about buying complete arms instead of getting a headache trying to remove the old bushes then press in the new ones.

As for cost, it's not something I've had done on the mk5 (yet) so couldn't tell you what's right!

Offline Shoduchi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 06:21:47 pm »
Bushes aren't that expensive but if the labour to remove the bushes and fit new ones is too high then it should be better to buy a new arm, yes. Ask what would you have to pay to replace the bushes from both arms, the other arm shouldn't be much better, I'd guess.

Offline SRC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 07:35:47 pm »
Thanks for the advice - seems like a reasonable price then?

Shadow blue DSG 5 door with leather, sunroof, 18" Monzas, MFSW. 
Full list of mods:  Seat inserts and a VW bottle opener.  Each worth 20bhp.