Make a donation

Author Topic: First Car...  (Read 3537 times)

Offline hshofique

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
First Car...
« on: March 31, 2016, 04:15:28 pm »
So I just passed my driving test today, and being a 17 year old, I can't have a very expensive car as a first. I want to get a Golf and wouldn't mind either the MK4 or the MK5... I was wondering if I was to make a few OEM exterior changes, would I have to tell my insurance about it? For example, if I got a standard MK4 and changed the wheels on it to some Helios or GTI wheels, would I have to tell them?

Offline Adam0604

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 34
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,97534.0.html
Re: First Car...
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 04:21:05 pm »
Yes, you would need to declare these to your insurer, or risk being scuppered should you be involved in a claim.

However, a fair few insurance providers will not increase premium for exterior modifications, so it's worth declaring! Mainly only see an increase in premium if putting on performance mods, for example, a remap.

Offline hshofique

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 04:28:32 pm »
Yes, you would need to declare these to your insurer, or risk being scuppered should you be involved in a claim.

However, a fair few insurance providers will not increase premium for exterior modifications, so it's worth declaring! Mainly only see an increase in premium if putting on performance mods, for example, a remap.

Oh right thanks mate.

Have you got any suggestions on any other first cars?

Offline Adam0604

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 06:29:22 pm »

Oh right thanks mate.

Have you got any suggestions on any other first cars?

It's up to you really. I wouldn't be looking to go over a 1.2 for first car and first year of insurance, because the premium is so high. Can always look to jump up after first year when you have a years NCB under your belt.

Assuming parents have clean licenses, get them on insurance as additional drivers, you will probably find it reduces by circa £200. Maybe more.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 07:53:02 pm »
Get something cheap and reliable. No problem looking at sticking some alloys on, that kind of thing, but premiums for 17 year olds can be astronomical, so maybe it's a good idea to look for ways to get the premium down rather than bump it. Get a named driver on it, but don't 'front' it. (Google it).

Some insurers take the mickey with mods. I can only imagine that'd be magnified as a new young driver.

But..... You might get lucky. If you draw the line (for now) at lowering springs and a set of alloys you shouldn't narrow your insurance options down too much. Pick the right car and the right wheels and you'll have a sorted motor that you can obsess over, keep immaculately clean, learn about, that (most importantly) looks the dogs.

Going into more detail, I'd avoid Helios, as they're 19", and rubber will be expensive. The wheels themselves will be expensive too. No point putting a grand's worth of wheels and tyres on a car that might be worth less. Lots more choice in 18" and you can get tyres that'll work in an emergency for a decent price.

If you can find a good mk4 Bora, you might end up with a pretty special first car. From memory, the 130 diesel is a lower insurance group than the equivalent 130 diesel mk4 Golf. I'm not saying you should specifically go for a 130, but in theory a Bora would be cheaper to insure like for like against a Golf of the same engine. The 115 diesel is a good option to look at. Torquey, economical and reliable. It'll feel quite quick.

Don't get fixated on 'scene' mods. They're expensive and often pointless. Try and buy a standard car. Don't think about power upgrades, at all, for a few years.

Get a shortlist of 5 cars in your head. Phone round the insurance companies and get quotes on each, as standard, and then as modified with alloys and a drop. Then your shortlist should get shorter and you'll be in the position to go hunting.

Don't ever be tempted to modify the car and keep it quiet from the insurers. Big no no.

Good luck.

Offline rashg60

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 41
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 08:51:07 pm »
What's your budget?
Previous motors (in order of succession since 1994):-

VW Golf MK2 GTi 8v
Peugeot 205 1.9 GTi
VW Corrado G60 Supercharged
Volvo C70 2.0 Turbo Convertible
Audi TT MK1 1.8T quattro (225)
Mercedes CLS 320 V6
Audi TT MK1 3.2 V6 Quattro
Audi A4 Convertible 1.8T Quattro
VW Golf MK5 GTi 2.0 Turbo

Offline RetroRaz

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 194
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 09:03:02 pm »
I would get a 1.4 polo for a few years, save up your no claims and then move onto a car where u can enjoy modding it and most importantly affordable

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Offline Adam0604

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 09:04:02 pm »
I quite like the Boras actually, good shout that

Offline hshofique

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 09:25:48 pm »
I actually bought a 1 series in February thinking I'd pass my first test, which I didn't... So I handed the keys to my brother, and he ruined it lol, somehow came up with so many faults out the blue... One of them being: the engine shutting off when coming to a stop and taking ages to start up again -_-

Anyway, my budget right now is £1,500-£2,500. Don't want anything below 1.5 as don't wanna be dealing with silly faults and end up spending more on a car than I'm supposed to. Nothing over 2.5 as it'll be too much to spend on a first car so anything in between is great.

I've been looking at a few cars now, some of them being:
- 05+ Ford Fiesta 1.25 or 1.4
- 05+ Ford Focus 1.6
- 01+ MK4 Golf 1.4 S

Offline Adam0604

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 10:57:42 pm »
If you are looking at Fiestas get the 1.0 eco boost.
May think nah cus it's a 1 litre but it has 125bhp. Great on economy and fairly cheap to insure.

Whether you will get one within your budget however is another question.

Seriously don't bother looking at anything over 1.4 max as first car, I'd work on 1.2 max .... Your premium will be about 1500 or more in your own name on a 1.2/1.4.

Offline hshofique

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 11:32:59 am »
If you are looking at Fiestas get the 1.0 eco boost.
May think nah cus it's a 1 litre but it has 125bhp. Great on economy and fairly cheap to insure.

Whether you will get one within your budget however is another question.

Seriously don't bother looking at anything over 1.4 max as first car, I'd work on 1.2 max .... Your premium will be about 1500 or more in your own name on a 1.2/1.4.

Sounds good but just had a look at it online and it's waaaay out of my price range   :sad1:

Offline Stupots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 35
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 06:46:57 pm »
Does anyone have any examples of insurance companies checking for a remap prior to paying out?
2006 VW Golf Mk5 Sport TDI 4Motion (140 BKD)

Offline hshofique

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2016, 03:57:10 pm »
i have another question regarding temporary insurance for about a week or two. someone is going to lend me their car and i was wondering if it will be possible to be insured for two weeks as a 17 year old?