Make a donation

Author Topic: My rtech map review  (Read 10939 times)

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Re: My rtech map review
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2016, 12:59:07 am »
Is that even a 'linear' map though? The torque and power curves are much less linear than the AMD map. Going by the graph it should feel much quicker, like Rich said.

Doesn't make any sense at all that it felt punchier with the AMD map. Unless it's something to do with the throttle mapping? There's a recent thread on that as it happens.

This is what I don't get about R-Tech maps. Everyone says they're 'linear', yet they've got a fatter curve of low to mid torque than nearly all other TFSI maps (Shark and a couple of others are comparable). Surely that makes it anything but linear, but I've heard this before, about R-Tech maps feeling tame. Lack of a big spike maybe?

I'm very happy with mine by the way, and will be going down for Stage 2 soon (just in case anyone thinks I'm doubting them!)

What are your mods? Downpipe and decat with a standard cat back at a guess?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 01:02:10 am by AJP »

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2016, 08:41:42 am »

Offline Namsgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2016, 08:48:43 am »
Is that even a 'linear' map though? The torque and power curves are much less linear than the AMD map. Going by the graph it should feel much quicker, like Rich said.

Doesn't make any sense at all that it felt punchier with the AMD map. Unless it's something to do with the throttle mapping? There's a recent thread on that as it happens.

This is what I don't get about R-Tech maps. Everyone says they're 'linear', yet they've got a fatter curve of low to mid torque than nearly all other TFSI maps (Shark and a couple of others are comparable). Surely that makes it anything but linear, but I've heard this before, about R-Tech maps feeling tame. Lack of a big spike maybe?

I'm very happy with mine by the way, and will be going down for Stage 2 soon (just in case anyone thinks I'm doubting them!)

Hi
I've got loba hpfp, 3" downpipe , induction kit
And car running on vpower fuel.

Nicky did say my oem back box was restricting flow.

I've got up early roads are quiet so will give it a little blast and report back lol

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2016, 12:49:44 pm »

Hi
I've got loba hpfp, 3" downpipe , induction kit
And car running on vpower fuel.

Nicky did say my oem back box was restricting flow.

I've got up early roads are quiet so will give it a little blast and report back lol
Let us know what you find.

You can definitely see where it drops off around 5k. I didn't think the standard cat back was too restrictive, but I'd never question what Niki says!

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2016, 03:11:36 pm »

Offline Madone

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2016, 07:22:49 pm »
Very interesting post, R-Tech pride themselves on linear maps and have said directly they don't write more aggressive maps. Everyone gets told R-Tech are the best and everyone should go to them, but linear maps have a different feel from the more aggressive and some would say 'more exciting' maps from Revo etc. R-Tech maps no doubt do the numbers but for some other maps will feel faster and more exciting. This is a clear example of that. Horses for courses, but I would rather have a map that feels fast rather than one that requires you to carry a print out of the RR result so you know it's making the power  :signLOL: :signLOL:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2016, 10:10:22 pm »
Thing is though, I wouldn't call my R-Tech Stage 1 map linear. It boosts hard and holds the boost nicely. Although I haven't driven a Revo (or other tuner's) car, so it's hard for me to be objective.

I have had loads of remaps on different cars, one of which being a 1.8T (with an AMD map as it happens). It certainly didn't jump out at me after getting the R-Tech map on the GTI that it felt linear, too progressive, or too smooth. If anything it delivers the boost better than any other remap I've had (granted, with different engines).

There's obviously more going on that dictates power delivery than the torque curves we can all relate to. I'm not sure it's purely down to 1:1 throttle mapping - as far as I'm aware that's an option, rather than standard for every R-Tech map.

I've read plenty of accounts from a few years back of Superchips/Bluefin software 'feeling' really strong, but in reality that's down to a huge torque spike that's no good for anything. The graph of the OP's AMD map isn't at all spikey, is bags of torque down on the subsequent R-Tech map, yet to him it doesn't feel as punchy. It's odd.

Hopefully Niki can come along and help us out!

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2016, 07:34:42 am »
Linear mapping would be the lack of a torque spike followed by a drop in the torque that you see with a lot generic maps. Niki's maps make torque strong and early, and hold that torque a lot better than most, which usully results in a linear HP curve that gets up to peak HP and holds it very well.

Do not confuse this with linear throttle mapping as that is entirely different - it's also a very love/hate thing - many like it as it gives more control, but many don't as it requires the throttle to be pressed a lot harder than you are used to in order to go anywhere. i suspect this is the reason Niki's map may not feel as punchy, as you have a lot more control and the accelerator is not basically an on/off switch that gives you 80% of power by the time you press the pedal 30% of the way down. This is often what makes the car feel punchy, but not necessarily fast/quick/powerful

The graph above is not the norm and clearly looks to be limited at the top end by hardware. The car may not feel much faster when redlining it in every gear, but around town in gear acceleration should feel a lot different so long as you press the throttle a bit further down.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 07:39:52 am by Dan_FR »
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline Madone

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2016, 07:46:08 am »
Is the OP saying he actually got the linear throttle map or its that R-Tech refer to their maps as linear in their delivery and hence this is a linear map ?, I didn't think R-Tech add linear throttle mapping as default ?, don't you need to ask for it ?

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2016, 07:49:41 am »
The only person who would know is Niki, but perhaps even Niki's normal throttle mapping has a lot mroe control than the AMD map? I've driven some maps over the years where the throttle was literally on or off in the space of 20% travel of the pedal... Not saying the AMD map is like this.... But it is the only way to explain why the car doesn't feel as punchy when it makes more torque over the entire rev range - it must be the throttle mapping
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline rtechniki

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2016, 12:53:31 pm »
Hi everyone, after the great reviews for rtech I decided to go to rtech for stage 2. Here's my review

Prior to rtech-
I was running a amd stage 1 map which From there dyno made 252hp and 291 lb
From posts on here people say there dyno are not accurate !!

Rtech day-

Got to rtech nice and early was greeted by great bunch of guys.
Nicky mentioned that due to my standard back box the flow would be restricted and that I won't make the figures I was expecting, which was fair enough.

The car was on the rollers for a couple of hrs, Nicky tapping away on the laptop !!

My amd stage 1 made 266hp 271ftlb
Quite shocked!

So once all done Nicky gave me the dyno print.

The car made stage 2.     270 hp 335 ftlb would of made more if the exhaust was not restricting.

I went out to test drive it but could not really push it as the road was to busy to be driving like a prat!!

So a week or so now with the map it's not as punchy as my amd map the car before used to pull really well pick up instantly as really ideal round town driving etc.

The rtech map is very linear and you have to push harder on the pedal to get it moving, once going it pulls really well.

To be honest didn't feel the extra torque that the car now makes, maybe need to get used to it!
I may contact rtech if they can adjust the map for me.

I will post my dyno print out as soon as I figure out how to do it!!

Thanks for reading guys any comments welcomed (be nice lol)

The OEM throttle maps and boost ramps rates are to offer the feeling of a "perky car".   50% throttle tipping in an the turbo is already on course for running into a boost spike to give its boost over shoot kick.   This give the placebo effect the car is running more grunt due to the perky feeling which comes with it.  VW tuned the mk4 and mk5 R32 this way to make is seem more resonsive than it really is.

when tuning I don't tend to kick in the boost I will use the cams and time to aid the volume of power under the curves, which makes for a linear usable power deliver spear out over a wider rpm range.    if you have been used to tipping into 60% pedal and getting the part throttle kick with the allowed over boost under these conditions then this is what your now missing.  You now have yo use the full throttle and take advantage of the spread of torque.   
The placebo effect and kick methods sell maps and make people go "oh this is aggressive and perky"  even a low loads and conditions.  but then a spread of controlled power makes a quick usable car due to the greater volume under there curves.

The biggest issues with your car is with your hardware your chocking it in a big way.  The first thing is said to you before i went on the dyno was this is not going to be anything special over your current map due to the exact hardware combination which will be choking at the same rpm points, and then boom on the dyno the hardware chokes to the exact same point which is causing you to lose a massive amount of area from under the curves.   from memory did I give you the option to take the car away and get the rest of the hardware sorted for stage2+ then bring it back and have it tuned to a level where you will be going WOW?

You can see on the graph where your missing out on what the engine wants to give.  when driving look at your rpm range and you will see where you need to feel the grunt between shifts when giving it beans and you will see its exactly where your choking the power.  to feel the additional torque you need to be in the load and rpm range where its loading up on the graph, something you wont feel on lower gear out of the rpm range, but loading up from 2000rpm in the higher gears you will be hitting the torque band nicely.  basically drive it like a tdi to take advantage of the additional torque.

the grin factor comes from the full package which start from the research you do on the correct hardware to fitting the hardware which then the mapping will compliment.    Go against the grain and get the hardware wrong and you will never be happy as the software mapping is always limited by the map.

Another thing is to check you are still on map setting 5.

once you removed the restriction the on the exhaust pop back and we can unlock the power and if you liked the aggressive effect setup we can give you some feeling back lower in the throttle range.    On its own merits a decent exhaust will make a difference,  infact the stock full cat back would give a better result than the current solution.

was this one running s3 cooler or stock cooler with poor air con rad?

Nick
Nick Gower
R-Tech Performance Tuning
Hinckley 01455 617233
Bespoke ECU Software for 1.8T & 2.0TFSI

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2016, 01:07:23 pm »
Respect for the explanation!

(Even though a large amount of it was lost on me..)

Offline rtechniki

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2016, 01:19:41 pm »
stock load map vs throttle

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kkk8b7ig9xtd0v7/stock%20load%20via%20thottle.png?dl=0

boost n75 cap vs throttle position.  the n75 is maxed out on this one due to the hardware chocking it so turbo  cannot give more grunt, the map it cam in on was also flat out at 99% but the throttle would close on the midrnage.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oj39dfriqnbxnrn/boost%20based%20on%20tps.png?dl=0

you map 3 and 4 will have less grunt midrange. 
to switch map turn engine off > ignition on > hold brake pedal > press the throttle once and off > the RPM gauge needle will move from 1000rpm to 5000rpm > press the throttle until the needle goes to 5000rpm > ignition off key out > then start car and drive.

(if you do it too slow the oil light pops up this is nothing to worry about, it just the clock think engine is reving with no oil)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 01:24:41 pm by rtechniki »
Nick Gower
R-Tech Performance Tuning
Hinckley 01455 617233
Bespoke ECU Software for 1.8T & 2.0TFSI

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2016, 01:41:14 pm »
Can't say fairer than that, "bring it back if you want it more aggressive"
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2016, 01:55:52 pm »
Great explanation  :congrats:

Simply cannot wait to get mine from Rtech and really hope my research and testing of various hardwares has left the car with the optimum setup for Niki to work his magic!  :driver: