Make a donation

Author Topic: S3 cooler question  (Read 5156 times)

Offline v4rley

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 104
Re: S3 cooler question
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2016, 06:51:51 pm »
^^

That alloys ones are a benefit as the connections are better, the main reason I upgrade to one. Also the alloy ends help disapate the heat too.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 679
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2016, 11:38:23 am »
Are you on a ko3 or a ko4 pudding? The reason I am asking is I have spent a lot of time recently looking into the newer type s3 and golf r(mk6) ic's with the plastic ends and it would seem that ecs spent a bit of time testing both the s3 with Ally ends against the one with plastic ones. They found that by measurements the plastic ended one was approx 20-22% greater volume area than our standard ones and the ally one was around 25%. Flow wise and efficiency were pretty much identical and both were a great improvement over our standard ones. Better still, the plastic ended one meant they didn't require new bolts either.

I have an airtec one fitted to mine (ko3), but I will be swapping it with a mate who has a golf r, as I reckon the airtec is a bit overkill on the ko3, and the golf r one would be better suited.

Just my 2p. Don't know how much they go for compared with the ally ended ones, as I haven't looked.

Edition 30 mate, so KO4.  Thanks for the info!

I'm putting together a '100K old' action plan to refresh the old girl.  Everything is standard currently, apart from a remap.  New dampers and springs, rebush, 3" downpipe and a better intercooler.   That should make her feel lively again!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Beej

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 23
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2016, 01:32:39 pm »
Are you on a ko3 or a ko4 pudding? The reason I am asking is I have spent a lot of time recently looking into the newer type s3 and golf r(mk6) ic's with the plastic ends and it would seem that ecs spent a bit of time testing both the s3 with Ally ends against the one with plastic ones. They found that by measurements the plastic ended one was approx 20-22% greater volume area than our standard ones and the ally one was around 25%. Flow wise and efficiency were pretty much identical and both were a great improvement over our standard ones. Better still, the plastic ended one meant they didn't require new bolts either.

I have an airtec one fitted to mine (ko3), but I will be swapping it with a mate who has a golf r, as I reckon the airtec is a bit overkill on the ko3, and the golf r one would be better suited.

Just my 2p. Don't know how much they go for compared with the ally ended ones, as I haven't looked.

I'm putting together a '100K old' action plan to refresh the old girl.  Everything is standard currently, apart from a remap.  New dampers and springs, rebush, 3" downpipe and a better intercooler.   That should make her feel lively again!
Mine is on 76k, but I would love to find a few hundred quid to rebush the whole car, just to freshen it up!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 679
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2016, 09:49:30 am »

Mine is on 76k, but I would love to find a few hundred quid to rebush the whole car, just to freshen it up!

Yeah I'm having to prioritise my list as I can't afford it all in one lump.  I'm starting with the chassis as the car isn't exactly slow at the moment, just want to get rid of that nasty OEM downpipe/cat and get a better IC up front.....but they can wait for a bit!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D