Make a donation

Author Topic: AMD Tuning - Stage 1 remap with induction kit?  (Read 3124 times)

stevett

AMD Tuning - Stage 1 remap with induction kit?
« on: April 06, 2016, 10:28:21 am »
Hi. I am considering the AMD stage 1 remapping to release 50-60bhp.

My question is whether it is beneficial to have an induction kit added before the mapping - is it sensible to do this before the map so it takes full advantage or does it make little difference?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carbonspeed-Carbon-Fiber-Induction-Intake-Air-Filter-Volkswagen-VW-Golf-MK5-GTI-/321072548027?hash=item4ac16a48bb

Steve

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
Re: AMD Tuning - Stage 1 remap with induction kit?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 11:25:41 am »
Steve,

Sorry to burst your bubble - you wont see 60bhp from a stage one remap (unless you have an Edition 30?). from a 'normal GTI, 35-40bhp is typical). A good remap on an Edition 30 should see 290-300bhp with V-Power fuel.

AMD's dyno is famous for giving high readings compared to other dynos, which may be why they claim such magnificent figures. AMD intake is far from the best intake - your better off with either EVOMS or Revo intake. The Ram Air intake is OK too.

Finally, AMD remaps are fine - they're safe & give reasonable figures, but the tuning game has moved on since they wrote their maps back in 2005, and dyno days recently show stronger curves and better peak figures than AMDs maps from other competitiors. Have a look around the modifications section of the forum - the popular tuners have their own section with lots of feedback & results. R-Tech are the most popular currently - and the results speak for themselves :happy2:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline th3_f15t

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
Re: AMD Tuning - Stage 1 remap with induction kit?
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 01:15:05 pm »
I have an AMD Tuning stage 2+ ECU and stage 2 DSG map on my 2012 Golf R and I will say they are good maps for the price.

I wouldn't bother with an induction kit at stage 1 as you loose a noticeable amount of torque in the lower RPM but if you are planning on going full stage 2/2+ then might as well if it's at a good enough price.

At stage 1 I'd spend the money on a cat-back exhaust, if you get a Milltek one through AMD it's free fitting and half price ECU map too.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!