Make a donation

Author Topic: dropped tissue in engine bay  (Read 6158 times)

Offline mac456

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
dropped tissue in engine bay
« on: April 05, 2016, 10:34:17 am »
Hi all,
I was checking my oil this morning and annoyingly I dropped a tissue into my engine bay, it landed on the bottom tray.
I tried to push it out using a stick but just ended up pushing further back and now I cannot see it any more.
I would just leave it and hope the wind blows it out but my "OCD" is telling me otherwise.
Could it damage anything down there?

Offline theminty1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
Re: dropped tissue in engine bay
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 11:11:08 am »
I would suggest OCD only  :laugh:
You could take off the lower tray when you get the time there is nothing back there
140 BKD GT TDi  5dr

Offline mac456

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 02:34:10 pm »
Thanks mate. Yeah I called my local garage and they also said not to worry, if it did not blow away it would eventually get soggy and stick to the tray anyway...

must be more careful lol

Offline LondonGT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 05:42:00 pm »
You're not alone. I once changed my wiper arm, had the nut cover on the plastic shelf bit next to the scuttle, chucked a wrench on it, the blank bounced up and dropped into the engine belts. Never did find it... I crawled all over the engine for hours!

4ndy

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 09:09:00 pm »
Hi all,
I was checking my oil this morning and annoyingly I dropped a tissue into my engine bay, it landed on the bottom tray.
I tried to push it out using a stick but just ended up pushing further back and now I cannot see it any more.
I would just leave it and hope the wind blows it out but my "OCD" is telling me otherwise.
The rag will burn if you cover it in petrol. No way it will survive. This will save you getting your hands all yucky and oily :popcornsoda:

Offline irish_ram

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 200
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 10:37:38 pm »
Hi all,

Would not worry, I have dropped nearly half a dozen screws and sockets down there and nothing gone wrong so far  :surprised:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 12:14:46 pm »
Hi all,

Would not worry, I have dropped nearly half a dozen screws and sockets down there and nothing gone wrong so far  :surprised:

Yeah me too.  I usually hear them vacate the premises a mile down the road, with nice thudding noises as they bounce off the floorpan  :grin:

How many of us have gone for a test drive and forgotten to put the oil cap back on, or the coolant cap, or left a wrench on the engine cover and such like?!   Done it so many times I've lost count!   Many moons ago, I saw a large pry bar that I'd left on the engine bouncing down the road behind me and smashed through the grille of the car behind.  Instant steam as his radiator let go.  I p1ssed myself at the time, but looking back on it.... I'd have been livid if that happened to me  :grin:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline ady-uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 01:08:14 pm »
How many of us have gone for a test drive and forgotten to put the oil cap back on, or the coolant cap, or left a wrench on the engine cover and such like?!   Done it so many times I've lost count!   Many moons ago, I saw a large pry bar that I'd left on the engine bouncing down the road behind me and smashed through the grille of the car behind.  Instant steam as his radiator let go.  I p1ssed myself at the time, but looking back on it.... I'd have been livid if that happened to me  :grin:

I was traveling down the road, one sunny day, you wouldn't believe what happened!
A large pry bar fell out, from under the car infront.....busted my radiator.  :P
VW Golf 2.0 Gtd 140 4motion (2005)
Factory fitted: xenons, sunroof, heated leather seats, fold in mirrors with downlights,
Custom: Mk6 steering wheel, updated gateway, RNS510 remote boot pop, LED lighting.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 03:59:35 pm »

I was traveling down the road, one sunny day, you wouldn't believe what happened!
A large pry bar fell out, from under the car infront.....busted my radiator.  :P

:grin:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline GTI8v

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 07:49:58 pm »

I remember once towing a trailor to the tip one day, heard a strange noise as you usually do when towing, looked in rear view mirrow to see the big 4 nut wheel brace I'd been using earlier cartwheeling down the road. Must have balanced it somewhere and it worked loose.
Was quite amusing watching it disapear into a headge... until I realised it could've caused a nasty accident  :thinking:
Still miss that brace

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
  • -Given: 200
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 09:56:48 pm »

I remember once towing a trailor to the tip one day, heard a strange noise as you usually do when towing, looked in rear view mirrow to see the big 4 nut wheel brace I'd been using earlier cartwheeling down the road. Must have balanced it somewhere and it worked loose.
Was quite amusing watching it disapear into a headge... until I realised it could've caused a nasty accident  :thinking:
Still miss that brace

haha not the engine bay but bloody dropped another socket connection down behind my rear lights but my only one of that size so nearly cut my hands to ribbons retrieving it  :confused:

I have been on the verge of dropping so many screws when removed from something in the engine bay but I stay in that frozen limbo where I know I have a grip of it but if I move my hand I will drop it  :thinking: