Make a donation

Author Topic: Scirocco Dampers  (Read 2347 times)

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Scirocco Dampers
« on: April 07, 2016, 10:24:44 pm »
Just been in a mate's Scirocco, bone stock. Got to say it felt miles better in terms of ride comfort than a standard mk5 GTI (or at least mine when it had standard suspension).

It's got the different suspension modes and all that. Am I right in saying this is what the mk6 got and the mk5 missed out on?

Would be nice if that could be retrofitted to the mk5 with some lowering options. Big money if it's even possible though?

Offline Nasir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 28
Re: Scirocco Dampers
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 11:57:50 pm »
The dynamic chassis control (DCC) is constantly adjusting and uses some electrical gizmos to adjust each damper. On top of that, if your friend's car is a facelift Scirocco (i.e., the MK6), it rides much smoother than the MK5 in my experience.

I don't think it's feasible to put it in the MK5.
Shadow Blue 2007 GTI DSG (Standard)

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 08:38:26 am »
Don't think it's a facelift, although it's got a private plate so I couldn't tell you for sure.

But yeah, very pleasant car to sit in. I did actually look at them before I got the mk5.

Offline Nasir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 28
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 08:55:40 am »
I'm looking at them as a replacement. I don't need 5 seats and it'd be nice to have something different. I think they look really smart in black, but it's almost impossible to find one with xenon headlights.
Shadow Blue 2007 GTI DSG (Standard)

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 09:38:19 am »
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 10:36:36 am »
I'm looking at them as a replacement. I don't need 5 seats and it'd be nice to have something different. I think they look really smart in black, but it's almost impossible to find one with xenon headlights.
Yes, in the right colour with the right wheels they're really stunning. Seems they're a bit of a step up from the mk5 which I never realised.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 11:00:29 am »
Just been in a mate's Scirocco, bone stock. Got to say it felt miles better in terms of ride comfort than a standard mk5 GTI (or at least mine when it had standard suspension).

It's got the different suspension modes and all that. Am I right in saying this is what the mk6 got and the mk5 missed out on?

Would be nice if that could be retrofitted to the mk5 with some lowering options. Big money if it's even possible though?
I have a friend who has a Scirocco with DCC and even in Sport mode he doesn't rate them for track use. For daily driving it's good and the Comfort mode is really good. For the mk5 you can get Koni FSD (normal version (more comfortable) or the GTI version (better handling for fast road)) that won't be much more expensive than Bilstein B8s or Koni Sports. The KW DCC coilovers should be nice but they're very expensive.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 05:08:01 pm »

I have a friend who has a Scirocco with DCC and even in Sport mode he doesn't rate them for track use. For daily driving it's good and the Comfort mode is really good. For the mk5 you can get Koni FSD (normal version (more comfortable) or the GTI version (better handling for fast road)) that won't be much more expensive than Bilstein B8s or Koni Sports. The KW DCC coilovers should be nice but they're very expensive.
I might look at the Koni or Bilstein shocks at some point. I'm on H&R springs and standard (probably original) shocks, so they'll need doing soon, along with a few bushes to freshen up the ride.