Make a donation

Author Topic: Viewing a MK5 Gti - Advise  (Read 1386 times)

Offline dawsonz

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Viewing a MK5 Gti - Advise
« on: April 09, 2016, 09:36:17 am »
Hello,

I'm out today to look at a couple of MK5 Golf Gti's and was wondering for some advise on what to look out for.

I'm aware of checking for Cambelt/Waterpump and general servicing and checking for rust in the common places, as well as the usual checks of how the car drives, tyres etc.

Do you guys have any general pointers for someone new to the Golf Gti?

Thanks

Offline StuF

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 38
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90017.0.html
Re: Viewing a MK5 Gti - Advise
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 10:29:53 am »
Depends on what you are after - for me always buy on condition rather than mileage
Spec is important to alot of people so look for:
Service History
Xenon Lights
Highline Display
Multi Function Steering Wheel
18inch Monza's with decent tyres (indicates the car has been looked after if decent branded tyres are fitted rather than ditchfinders)
Armrest
RNS 510 Headunit - satnav and touchscreen
Leather - wingbacks if you can find them (rare) - check for drivers seat bolster wear
Folding mirrors (rare)
Rusty arches (common)

Check the mot history online to see what work has been done and for any outstanding advisories, also a free way of verifying mileage
Dont be put off by high mileage cars - as long as they have been maintained, mine is on 175k and tight as a drum

Good luck  :happy2:

Where Napoleons armies marched with horse and musket and Hitlers Reich crumbled in blood and rubble, the warriors of Armageddon do battle against the landscape of hell now indeed thrive the ARMOURERS

Offline K2 NYJ

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 10:49:01 am »
 :happy2: good few tips there I'll keep them in mind when I look for mk5 gti's in the next few weeks  :driver:

Offline dawsonz

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 11:23:02 am »
Depends on what you are after - for me always buy on condition rather than mileage
Spec is important to alot of people so look for:
Service History
Xenon Lights
Highline Display
Multi Function Steering Wheel
18inch Monza's with decent tyres (indicates the car has been looked after if decent branded tyres are fitted rather than ditchfinders)
Armrest
RNS 510 Headunit - satnav and touchscreen
Leather - wingbacks if you can find them (rare) - check for drivers seat bolster wear
Folding mirrors (rare)
Rusty arches (common)

Check the mot history online to see what work has been done and for any outstanding advisories, also a free way of verifying mileage
Dont be put off by high mileage cars - as long as they have been maintained, mine is on 175k and tight as a drum

Good luck  :happy2:

Thanks mate that's really useful, appreciate it.

Offline dronners

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 11:52:55 am »
my advice..  there's stacks of GTI's out there. so dont be afraid to walk away from one if it dosent cut the mustard even slightly