Make a donation

Author Topic: DIY - Cam Chain and Tensioner Guide  (Read 187902 times)

Offline Onethreelee

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: DIY - Cam Chain and Tensioner Guide
« Reply #105 on: June 14, 2023, 04:16:34 pm »
Awesome guide I have a feeling I'm going to need this and feel like it's already saved me  well done

Offline smully

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #106 on: Yesterday at 03:06:12 pm »
Afternoon all. I'm new on here but have been watching form a far since purchasing my Mk5 last November. The tips have come in super handy. Cheers all.
I'm  considering doing this job myself. My only question is how important is the chain going on specific links as per the write up? I've seen and read elsewhere that you have to count back from the coloured link and line it up on the sprocket  etc. etc. but on an aftermarket kit, there doesn't seem to be a coloured link, so I'm a bit confused... I get the cams need to be in a certain place and the adjuster need to go on a specific way but I cant see what the importance of the chain being on a certain tooth is? Cheers in advance.

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 50
« Reply #107 on: Today at 08:26:05 am »
That applies to the genuine stuff and is what I would recommend using.......not a job you want to redo.

I assume on aftermarket stuff you just need to make one of the links the anchor to count off from.....use a marker on it to stand out.
Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI

Offline smully

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #108 on: Today at 10:07:19 am »
Thanks Mike.
Still not sure what difference it'd make though, surely the chain can just be fitted anyway you want?

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 50
« Reply #109 on: Today at 11:59:13 am »
Because there is slack in the chain, until you pull the tensioner pin.  If one link is out then not a good thing for the engine
Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #110 on: Today at 01:39:30 pm »
Coloured links are a fitment aid only and not critical.  They are more common and useful on engines with several sprockets, but on the GTI with only 2 sprockets, it's no big deal.

So long as the cams are in the right position, you're golden. Just remember to tweak the inlet cam a few degrees anti clockwise when fitting the chain to make sure it has the correct tension. In other words, if the variator sprocket doesn't go straight on, tweak the inlet cam until it does.  Lots of folk skip that (it's in the VW repair manual and they do a tool for it) and end up being a tooth off afterwards.

Think carefully about your parts choice because there is a lot of trash in the aftermarket and it's not a job you want to do more than once, especially it the car is a keeper.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D