Make a donation

Author Topic: your thoughts on vwr solid engine mounts  (Read 8455 times)

Offline vRS Carl

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
Re: your thoughts on vwr solid engine mounts
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2010, 08:15:03 pm »
Slightly OT but -

Robin i need a ride in your car at the JKM RR day in Sept as i need to see what these mount's sound like and the coilover's feel like before i decide if i want them or not :happy2:

....I'd be delighted to oblige  :happy2:

Btw, the DD day is October 9th:   http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15796.0.html

I meant Oct was just checking you were paying attention  :innocent:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2010, 08:24:56 pm »

That is a fact Robin, mine has snapped again that makes it 2.

I think its because i dont have the side mounts which hold the engine better.

Its not the actual vwr bit thats snaps, its the dogbone bar that connects to the vwr bit and the engine.

....This supports what Dave (stokeballoon) is saying: That one mod can have a knock-on effect.. In your case only having the bottom mount (which is the one which has the most benefit in helping get power down on the road.

I tend to think that it's best to have a full set of three engine mounts when aftermarket. Dave can either correct me or expand but I reckon the stresses/vibrations are more evenly spread and better absorbed.

I've got a BSH dogbone bar on mine.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RobH

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 9
  • Revo stg 2+
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2010, 08:32:35 pm »
Yeah i would agree on that, if i had all three theres no way in hell that engine is going to move at all and therefore it wont be snapping engine mounts.

Im swapping mine for the THS mount for some nice peace and quite for a while and longer life of the dogbone bit and most likely some side mounts in the near future :smiley:.

But the OP wont have any issues if hes getting all Three mounts even if the side ones arent the solid version i still think hed be fine just aslong as he uprates them to the VWR fast road or BSH etc.

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2010, 08:57:56 pm »
ok guys , someone going to post a pic of a failed dogbone arm?
The dogbone only really undergoes compression and tension not side to side forces so Im surprised if it is snapping.
Although Im not surprised as I run just the VWR lower mount and still see a lot of movement. (my side mounts are definitely goosed though)
I can see how the BSH arm would be better as its machined rather than cast so the inherent strength may be better but other than taht Im surprised.
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2010, 09:05:16 pm »
For what it's worth, I know that VWR run their full set of 'Race' mounts on the cars they prepare for the VW Cup Series and with the OEM dogbone bar and with no problems I've heard of. Race cars are put under greater stresses than road cars albeit being more often stripped down and with replacement parts, but not all parts replaced. They use OEM droplinks too.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!