Make a donation

Author Topic: spark plugs  (Read 10712 times)

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
spark plugs
« on: January 13, 2010, 02:54:56 pm »
you often here about pople upgrading their spark plugs, commonly used is the iridium BKR7EIX spark plugs.

reading JKMs link http://www.jkm.org.uk/performance/tfsimisc.htm

they say that they are one heat range colder, what does this mean and what are the benefits of having the heat range set lower.

currently im running a set of these bosch plugs from halfords http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_194623_categoryId_165736_langId_-1?cm_vc=IOV4PLPZ1

Not to sure on the heat setting of these, any one know how they would rate??

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
Re: spark plugs
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 04:00:06 pm »
A cooler plug helps to prevent pre-ignition. Running too cold can cause problems when idling the engine or low speed/load and the cyclinders are running at lower temperatures.
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 04:18:42 pm »

they say that they are one heat range colder,

....Funny, because it was JKM who told me that the oem plugs were fine and I didn't need to change to a cooler plug. However, I was at Stage1 when I asked.

I change my spark plugs every 20k miles anyway.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 04:21:13 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 04:23:08 pm »

they say that they are one heat range colder,

....Funny, because it was JKM who told me that the oem plugs were fine and I didn't need to change to a cooler plug. However, I was at Stage1 when I asked.

I was about to add the same thing, there is unlikely to be any advantage to running a colder plug unless you're going a bit mental with your tuning like a certain Mr. Jonny C. If you just need to replace your plugs, I'd stick we OE spec.

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 04:24:34 pm »
how do they compare price wise, because if thats comparable, then it would be worth the swap

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 04:25:16 pm »
^^^^
I've put in a call to JKM to see what they have to say.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 04:32:16 pm »
how do they compare price wise, because if thats comparable, then it would be worth the swap

No idea... You'd need to check that out but I cant see there being much in it. Similar to oil, lots of different grades, all priced more or less the same, its just a case of picking the correct one for your engine. From experience, for something like spark plugs main dealers are usually as competative as anywhere else. I cant speak for Skoda/VW specifically though.

The Halfords page is a bit dodgy as it doesn't actually allow you specify which type of plug you want to order! Some modern plugs can straddle more than one heat range but they are far from 'one size fits all'.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 04:41:06 pm »
Denso Iridium power spark plugs are the ones I'm using. No issues at all with running them :happy2:

Around £8 to £10 each.

IK24's (don't know the full number as I'm not at home). 2 steps colder than OEM Bosch ones. Equivalent OEM Denso ones are IK20, then IK22 and then IK24 and they go all the way up to over 30, which must be uber cool plugs!! :laugh:

I was recommended to run colder plugs on stage 2+ K04 :smiley:
Golf R gone.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 05:38:48 pm »
not sure if im reading your post correct but the gist i got was

your Denso iridium plugs  part no IK24........
the standard Oem equivelent Denso Plug is a Ik20 part number

etc etc

i believe my bosche ones are the equivalent to oem spec

where abouts did you pick yours up john. if theyre fine on yourd im sure they will fine on mine, or would you say maybe 1 heat setting higher than your densos would be about right. maybe a set of Ik22 would be a decent buy for me since i am running around 100Hp less than you :ashamed:

although both our turbos will be stretched to the safe limit.

this is a quote from JKM website

Colder spark plugs remove heat quicker, helping to reduced timing pull
that cant be a bad thing to be honest

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 06:06:43 pm »
I bought mine off Steve Jr at Statllers. He'd bought them for his own car and I "appropriated" them :laugh:

I'd just go for the IK24's if I were you. You could run these on a stage 1 car without any idling issues. :smiley:
Golf R gone.

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 06:16:39 pm »

this is a quote from JKM website

Colder spark plugs remove heat quicker, helping to reduced timing pull
that cant be a bad thing to be honest

No, but if they run too cold and the tip doesnt get up to optimum temperature (at idle/tickover or even during sedate 'normal' driving) they can become fouled/sooted up which will reduce their performance significantly. There are trade offs and it is possible to be to cold.

Offline Blade

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
  • Taking a sabatical from cars
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 10:00:00 pm »
I changed my o/e plugs for the cooler ones at 14k miles. I noticed a smoother idle straight away. Always best if your running more power.

Offline Cooper

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 08:19:19 am »
I've been thinking about changing my plugs aswell if it'll benefit so I'm glad this topic has come up.

I'd just go for the IK24's if I were you. You could run these on a stage 1 car without any idling issues. :smiley:

I'm running a custom stg1 map on my KO3 GTI so would you recommend sticking with the OEM plugs or would it be worth changing to some of the IK24's?

Cheers
C63
SQ5

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 10:28:53 am »
I've fitted the plugs from JKM after a guy over on ASN noticed reduced timing pull runnin stg2+ on his S3 after fitting them, it certainly does feel a little crisper :smiley:

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 19
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Project MUBster DUBster Evolution
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 10:31:54 am »
I've been thinking about changing my plugs aswell if it'll benefit so I'm glad this topic has come up.

I'm running a custom stg1 map on my KO3 GTI so would you recommend sticking with the OEM plugs or would it be worth changing to some of the IK24's?

Cheers

X2