Make a donation

Author Topic: Replacement of blue speedo/rev counter etc lights..  (Read 7115 times)

Offline WhiteGTI

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
Re: Replacement of blue speedo/rev counter etc lights..
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2009, 07:56:25 pm »
Ok, so I've just cottoned-on that the R32 has gorgeous white lights with the blue dials, which I think looks amazing!

How hard would it be to transfer the lights from an R32 dial cluster to a GTI?

Would it require that the whole cluster to be transferred? (I'm guessing so  :sad:)

I'm really confused as to what it would require, lol!  :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2009, 09:24:43 pm »
If you can put a 3.6 passat engine into a mk2 golf and a audi TT dash into almost any thing else im sure its possible to put the mk6 cluster into a mk5 golf???

Darren

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2009, 09:28:46 pm »
i bet its not impossible but a MAJOR fook around

I've seen a post somewhere by somebody on this and it's a huge undertaking. You could fit something like 20 of these SMDs onto the surface of a 5p coin! (Think it was a 5p coin they used for scaling). Imagine trying to solder pin heads and you get the picture.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline LaserBlue

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2009, 10:09:36 pm »
i ever sum up the bravery to diss-assemble a set of clocks, ill let you know.

i will probably be retro-fitting highline so ill take my midline clocks apart.

all in the name of research! ;)

So JPC can you actually do this? i have a 55 plate gti, i did purchase a highline from a 2006 car around 14 months ago, anyhow tuck it to vw they said noway would it work as i dont have the highline wires and other stuff thats required :confused: :surprised: :scared:

i did ring awesomegti they said they can do it but would have to be on the vw premises as they need the secret codes becauise the imobilizer wont let me drive th car?.

i rang vw and after some very serious chat they said they would supply the codes but my warrenty would be void.

but now im outta warrenty i wouldnt mind doing it if someone has finally found the cure?  8)

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2009, 11:56:05 am »
As has been pointed out the lighting on the dash insert is indeed Surface Mount LED's.  You'd need to be very handy with a soldering iron to swap these fella's over.  Yes has been done, but you need to know what you're doing and have a decent solder station etc.

As for changing the dash insert, disregarding the physical differences, then the coding of the Immo etc can be done but you need to have the SKC (Secret Key Code).
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2009, 06:39:15 pm »
People have done this, as Stu says, changing of the SMD LEDs just requires a steady hand. I work with SMD components regularly at work and my uni project was done entirely in 'em ;) I once offered to benny to do a colour-changing effect on his speedo with hall effect sensors but he never took me up...

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2009, 06:42:55 pm »
All - thanks for the input. At least I now know exactly what is involved. Its just a question of finding someone that can do it now! And, do a good job!

I never thought I'd get bored of the blue lights, and they were one of the many reasons why I was originally excited to get my car, however things change I guess!!  :smiley: :smiley:

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2009, 06:59:08 pm »
It may not be as simple as it seems (the voltage drop for blue LEDs IIRC is significantly different to that found with white LEDs so it may not just be a straight swap).

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2009, 09:39:36 pm »
id expect very intricate circuits in there too, so as cmd says, the current they draw might be enough to throw up a code or worse. i do have a spare set of clocks, and a decent soldiering station, so i might have a go one day!

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2009, 08:04:49 am »
id expect very intricate circuits in there too, so as cmd says, the current they draw might be enough to throw up a code or worse. i do have a spare set of clocks, and a decent soldiering station, so i might have a go one day!

If you do, then let me know the outcome!  8) 8)

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp