Make a donation

Author Topic: Which engine mounts?  (Read 16901 times)

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
Re: Which engine mounts?
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2016, 04:20:16 pm »
I heard he used silicone......   :booty:
:sick:  :signLOL:

Offline Burbs22

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2016, 04:30:55 pm »
I have the full set of vibratechnics dogbone engine and gearbox and they are great I recommended them to 2 of my friends and they are both over the moon. They don't make the car vibrate when stationary unless the engine is running rough but at a normal smooth idle they are fine. They made the gear change nice and crisp. They noise they transmit into the cabin is very pleasant it makes the car sound extra meaty and this is ONLY when driving hard, normal driving they are very refined I have zero dash rattles etc. I have another friend who fitted revo mounts and he was equally happy with them. If anyone is gatwick area I am more than happy to demonstrate

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2016, 05:11:32 pm »
I wish I were that close as I'd love to feel those vibros  :signLOL:

Thanks for the review  :drinking:

Offline flashp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2016, 06:04:38 pm »
Revo here, no complaints. I would add that if you're DSG you hear/feel more from the gearbox when moving in and out park etc when stationary. I do have my box re-mapped so clamping forces have been increased and you can hear and feel this. In every other respect I love the way they work. I even like the way you hear and feel a little more from the car on a cold start up (intake and TB exhaust help complete this). Car has a real sense of purpose. Oh, and the cabin noise.... :love:
Car is very (excuse the cliche) 'connected' when driven, particularly on track as throttle modulation as you approach traction limits is a real treat when you're in the boost zone. Much easier to sense what's going on and completes the feedback of information to the driver, particularly with good chassis mods to complement.

These cars can be brilliant, but that brilliance doesn't depend on one thing only.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 06:12:47 pm by flashp »

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2016, 06:11:11 pm »
 :jumping: ^^^  :happy2:

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2016, 12:25:59 pm »
I was planning on replacing my DSG mount - I think its the reason I get a knock when I decelerate from 3rd to 2nd and sometimes from 2nd to 1st.

I'm in two minds over whether to go

Eurocarparts - ~£30
OEM~100
Vibratechnics /REVO -  £200~

The other 2 mounts are OEM (torque arm/dog bone & Engine mount). Would it be ok to upgrade the DSG mount keeping the other 2 OEM? Or would it just be better to go OEM

Offline Beej

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 23
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2016, 01:48:41 pm »
I was planning on replacing my DSG mount - I think its the reason I get a knock when I decelerate from 3rd to 2nd and sometimes from 2nd to 1st.

I'm in two minds over whether to go

Eurocarparts - ~£30
OEM~100
Vibratechnics /REVO -  £200~

The other 2 mounts are OEM (torque arm/dog bone & Engine mount). Would it be ok to upgrade the DSG mount keeping the other 2 OEM? Or would it just be better to go OEM
Why don't you spend the 30 notes and see if it cures the issue before spending a lot out to find its no different?

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2016, 02:05:50 pm »
That is a very good point - I feel stupid for not thinking this.

I know your're interested in the outcome ;) You've been the guinea pig for subframe bolts and dog bone/ torque arm insert, ill be the guinea pig for the DSG mount :)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2016, 02:19:00 pm »
The 30 quid one will last about 5 minutes!

Get a mate to look under the bonnet whilst you load the engine up with the handbrake on.  It's easy with a manual box to load the clutch up and let go of it quickly without the car moving much.   Dunno how you'd do that with DSG!  The objective is to see how much movement there is.  If the engine is flopping about violently, one or mounts are fecked!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Beej

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2016, 02:22:24 pm »

Get a mate to look under the bonnet whilst you load the engine up with the handbrake on.  It's easy with a manual box to load the clutch up and let go of it quickly without the car moving much.   Dunno how you'd do that with DSG!  The objective is to see how much movement there is.  If the engine is flopping about violently, one or mounts are fecked!
See that's the thing, mine is very stiff to try and rock forward and backward, so that's another reason I don't thinks it's a mount issue, that and the fact the noise I am getting sounds like if you can imagine the noise a manual gearbox makes if you have the engine off and you change through the gears, that's the noise I can hear 3-2 2-1, a sort of mechanical click

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2016, 02:27:15 pm »
@r5gtt had the issue and resolved it with a eurocar parts mount, he says its been fine up until now, but no doubt it will go eventually. Its better then spending 100-200 for it to not solve the issue.

It is tricky, as it may just be the noise the DSG box makes some times - and its just me being paranoid... although I doubt it. I cant force mine to do it every time, but it occurs when im slowing, i'm pretty sure it is consistent with the gear change. 

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2016, 02:34:19 pm »

See that's the thing, mine is very stiff to try and rock forward and backward, so that's another reason I don't thinks it's a mount issue, that and the fact the noise I am getting sounds like if you can imagine the noise a manual gearbox makes if you have the engine off and you change through the gears, that's the noise I can hear 3-2 2-1, a sort of mechanical click

Unless the mount has physically snapped (as happened to me on a Corrado once), there is very little movement when rocking it by hand.   The twisting torque applied to the mounts via the driveshafts is massively higher than what can be achieved by a human pushing it from above.   And when the rubber part of the mount heats up, it gets even soggier!!

When I had all 3 VT mounts on my Corrado engine, it was like trying to push a huge boulder.  It was going nowhere.  But on the dyno, the movement was unbelievable!!  Loads less than standard, but still...... it surprised me the first time I saw it.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Beej

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2016, 02:40:21 pm »

Unless the mount has physically snapped (as happened to me on a Corrado once), there is very little movement when rocking it by hand.   The twisting torque applied to the mounts via the driveshafts is massively higher than what can be achieved by a human pushing it from above.   And when the rubber part of the mount heats up, it gets even soggier!!

When I had all 3 VT mounts on my Corrado engine, it was like trying to push a huge boulder.  It was going nowhere.  But on the dyno, the movement was unbelievable!!  Loads less than standard, but still...... it surprised me the first time I saw it.
When it's warm, it hardly does it though, which is why I don't think it's the mount at fault......

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2016, 02:44:03 pm »
Hmm mine does it at any temp.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2016, 02:48:54 pm »
@r5gtt had the issue and resolved it with a eurocar parts mount, he says its been fine up until now, but no doubt it will go eventually. Its better then spending 100-200 for it to not solve the issue.

It is tricky, as it may just be the noise the DSG box makes some times - and its just me being paranoid... although I doubt it. I cant force mine to do it every time, but it occurs when im slowing, i'm pretty sure it is consistent with the gear change.
I found that when I replaced mine the jerkiness went away but it's now slightly noticeable which is why I want to replace all the mounts with stiffer ones which will definitely cure this jerk as it's ever so slight now but euro car parts parts aren't the greatest of quality so I'd expect a little play from it compared to the oem one.