Make a donation

Author Topic: Help needed please  (Read 2723 times)

Offline Bozz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 60
  • -Receive: 12
  • My Ride: Golf GT TDI 57reg
Help needed please
« on: May 30, 2016, 09:18:06 am »
Hi everyone, When my wife set off for work this morning i noticed a sort of loud tin can noise coming from the car but only when the car was moving? When the car is stood still with the engine running there is no noise at all,, What could it be please?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 09:30:11 am by Bozz »

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Re: Help needed please
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 09:21:28 am »
Heatshield vibrating, stone stuck between disc and dust shield, etc.

Does the noise change with steering, braking, throttle?

Offline Bozz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 09:29:41 am »
Heatshield vibrating, stone stuck between disc and dust shield, etc.

Does the noise change with steering, braking, throttle?
  Hi mate, I think and hope you could be right,, It sounded like it was coming from the driverside front wheel, Hopefully it's nothing serious, Thank you for your quick reply

Offline Bozz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 09:37:50 am »
AJP,  There was no change in the noise when braking or steering or throttle But has the car moved faster the noise seemed to get quicker,, I hope and think you could be right about a stone stuck between the disc & the shield cover,

Offline Bozz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 09:48:14 am »
I've just typed in on YouTube,,, Stone stuck between disc and dust shield, And that is exactly the same sort of noise, Hopefully

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 10:39:53 am »
Had it a couple of times before and it can produce a range of noises, from irritating  to apocalyptic.

Try sticking it in reverse and see if it dislodges anything.

Offline Bozz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 08:54:30 pm »
Had it a couple of times before and it can produce a range of noises, from irritating  to apocalyptic.

. Hi mate, You were right it was a stone,, thanks again mate

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 09:01:01 pm »

. Hi mate, You were right it was a stone,, thanks again mate
Cool. Good knowing it's a foreign object rather than a fault isn't it!

I found I was getting so much more debris thrown up after I had Supersports fitted. They're just so damn sticky, and churn up the road if I reverse park when it's been warm for a while.

I'm not sure if the dust shields behind the discs do more good than harm, personally. I've run a car with Brembos and big discs without the shields before and had no issues whatsoever. And no bits of road getting stuck. When I get round to a BBK on the mk5 I won't be keeping them.

Offline Bozz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 09:27:23 pm »
I sold my 17" classix a few weeks ago and had a new set of 18" Axe ex 15 alloys with new tyres and maybe it was due to the new tyres ?

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 10:49:46 pm »
I sold my 17" classix a few weeks ago and had a new set of 18" Axe ex 15 alloys with new tyres and maybe it was due to the new tyres ?
Could have been a factor. You'll always get crap thrown up, just that once in a while you get unlucky and some of that crap gets thrown into the wrong places.

I had Kumhos on the car as I bought it, changed to BBS VZ and the Michelins, and immediately noticed more 'bits of road' stuck to the front tyres after I'd parked up. Mine seemed to be the only car on the street that churned the road up so violently when pulling in to park (on street parking), leaving big black patches of freshly dug tar where I'd dry-steered to reverse in. The road was fine a few years ago, then the council came along and made it worse.

I've sorted a slightly better parking space for now, and I don't have to turn the wheels while stationary to get it parked if I get the manoeuvre right.

It's a decent trade-off for unreal grip in the corners though

Offline Bozz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 08:00:16 am »
. I like the council road repairs,,,, Just throw some chipings around and the road is fixed lol
Could have been a factor. You'll always get crap thrown up, just that once in a while you get unlucky and some of that crap gets thrown into the wrong places.

I had Kumhos on the car as I bought it, changed to BBS VZ and the Michelins, and immediately noticed more 'bits of road' stuck to the front tyres after I'd parked up. Mine seemed to be the only car on the street that churned the road up so violently when pulling in to park (on street parking), leaving big black patches of freshly dug tar where I'd dry-steered to reverse in. The road was fine a few years ago, then the council came along and made it worse.

I've sorted a slightly better parking space for now, and I don't have to turn the wheels while stationary to get it parked if I get the manoeuvre right.

It's a decent trade-off for unreal grip in the corners though