Make a donation

Author Topic: MFD2 output - 4ohms or 8ohms  (Read 2858 times)

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
MFD2 output - 4ohms or 8ohms
« on: January 15, 2010, 04:32:01 pm »
Gents, need your assistance. I have never been totoally impressed with the sound quality of the MFD2 (or the RCD300 for that matter) in my Golf. Now although it's a soot chucker, I guess the audio part is the same at the GTi's ED30  etc.

My 2005 motor was fitted with the RCD300 from the factory with the standard 10 speakers (3 in each front door) but not amped and no dynaaudio kit etc.

I changed the headunit for an MFD2 which although better still wasn't brilliant. I've been told that I should 1) change my headunit and 2) change the factory speakers. Call me mad (I'm sure some of you will) but I want to say with the MFD2, because it looks good and it's doesn't cost me any more money !

As to speakers, I've been told that to do it properly I need to have some Focal 165VR3's fitted. However at nearly £500 fitted, it's a major commitment.

Now (at last) to my question. I've just been given by a friend the Genuine VW fronts speaker upgrade kit (5M0 051 608A), consisting of 2 bass drivers, 2 mids, 2 tweeters, 2 crossovers and all mounting hardware (still in the VW box - brand new). Now whilst I know that anything VW produces won't come anywhere to matching something like the focals, but I woul dlike to have a go at fitting them to see if a change of speaker makes any real difference. The actual speakers seem pretty well built, with plastic cones (rather than the paper ones of the standard units) and bigger and heavier magnets. Also being genuine VW, they are plug and play without having to install spacers etc.

One question (finally I hear you say). I think I am right in saying that the standard paper tat speakers are 8 ohms, whereas these ones are 4 ohm. Will the amp on the MFD2 be able to drive these OK, or will the 4ohm load kill the amplifier section ?

Any assistiance / opinions gratefully accepted.

Cheers
Andrew

sciroccosig by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Offline mortygttdi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
Re: MFD2 output - 4ohms or 8ohms
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 05:32:28 pm »
Hi Andrew,  are these not the speakers that go with the VW sound pack i.e with an amp, not to be confused with the Dynaudio? I think the reason there 4 ohm's is cos the amp will sort that side of it out so it doesn't blow the speakers at higher/lower frequencies.

I might also be talking a load of doggie lower ball carriers :grin: :happy2:

VC or one of the other might be able to assist in the techy stuff

Darren

Offline mclovin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 05:42:00 pm »
Hi Andrew,

Car speakers, regardless of manufacturer typically have an impedance of 4 ohms, there may possibly be an exception to this but I certainly have not come across any. The only time this changes is if you wire up two subwoofers in series and connect them to the output of a car amplifier, as you are running two speakers in series they will have a combined impedance of 8 ohms, which is why you sometimes see sub amplifiers that are rated to drive speakers with 8 ohm impedance. Your home Audio speakers will also have an 8 ohm impedance which is one of the reasons you should never mix home audio components with car audio.

Your MFD2 or RCD300 would both be rated to drive speakers with 4 ohm impedance and so would a car amplifier if you chose to fit one. Any new speakers that you might fit, be they VW or aftermarket will be also rated at 4 ohm impedance.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 05:47:13 pm by mclovin »

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 10:28:21 pm »
Hi Andrew,

Car speakers, regardless of manufacturer typically have an impedance of 4 ohms, there may possibly be an exception to this but I certainly have not come across any. The only time this changes is if you wire up two subwoofers in series and connect them to the output of a car amplifier, as you are running two speakers in series they will have a combined impedance of 8 ohms, which is why you sometimes see sub amplifiers that are rated to drive speakers with 8 ohm impedance. Your home Audio speakers will also have an 8 ohm impedance which is one of the reasons you should never mix home audio components with car audio.

Your MFD2 or RCD300 would both be rated to drive speakers with 4 ohm impedance and so would a car amplifier if you chose to fit one. Any new speakers that you might fit, be they VW or aftermarket will be also rated at 4 ohm impedance.

Bit over my head this, but are you saying that they will be fine to fit and run off the MFD2 (many thanks for the reply BTW, you too Darren  :happy2:)

sciroccosig by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Offline monte

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 08:41:27 am »
i thought all car speakers were 4ohms too  :ashamed:

Offline mclovin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 02:33:12 pm »
Bit over my head this, but are you saying that they will be fine to fit and run off the MFD2 (many thanks for the reply BTW, you too Darren  :happy2:)

Yep, should be just fine.  :happy2: