Make a donation

Author Topic: Could Twintake owners please check and report back...  (Read 8568 times)

Offline vRStu

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
Re: Could Twintake owners please check and report back...
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2010, 09:55:59 pm »
I am sure our favourite Doctor is still waiting patiently for a answer, I am not to sure he wanted to know about the Evoms.  :laugh:

Agreed TC however we are discussing similar intrusions just a different product - Proving the TT is not alone in it's failing  :evilgrin:
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2010, 09:59:56 pm »
bought mine off hedge mate so he might have done it maybe  :laugh:

Yes that explains it  :wink:

Not me guys although I did buy it 2nd hand.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2010, 12:04:07 am »

Sorry, bacillus, I haven't looked at mine yet - I haven't driven her for at least a week. But I've just checked some of the pics I have and it's not touching the can (approx 2mm gap!) and there's no engine movement on mine anyway due to VWR engine mounts and the Twintake being a very solid fix. I'm seeing Forge this weekend anyway, so I'll raise the subject.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 02:12:11 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2010, 12:37:41 am »
It is very tight.. You could always just run the DV vacuum reference off the inlet manifold PCV recirc take off rather than the servo hose and there would be no problem with space that way..
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline candy turbo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2010, 10:18:49 am »
thats where the problem lies ! cause the car in first pics has the take off for the forge dv in the servo hose the plastic valve is now about 25 mm further out than woulld be on oem engine 

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2010, 02:16:41 pm »

I've just had a look at the clearance - It's only about 2mm but everything is rock solid. I'll ask Phil Mc to rev my engine while I see if there's any movement in the engine bay when I see him tomorrow.

No evidence on the can of there having been any movement and my Twintake has been removed and reinstalled 3 times now.

I have the Forge DV fitted at the K03 turbo end.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2010, 02:23:01 pm »
Also, why don't you try trimming down the silicone hose down to a minimum length to keep the overall length to a minimum, it looks to me that you have a little room for that..

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2010, 03:25:16 pm »
Also, why don't you try trimming down the silicone hose down to a minimum length to keep the overall length to a minimum, it looks to me that you have a little room for that..

....Which silicone hose are you referring to please, Jonny? Or do you not mean on mine?

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2010, 07:46:12 pm »
I assume that was directed at me.   :smiley:

I have suggested we cut off ~6mm off the hose at the intake manifold end but there's no guarantee that'll be enough.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline KRL

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2010, 11:51:54 pm »
MY BSH CAI is pretty tight as well here with the tray being about the same distance as the Forge intake enclosure is.

Offline KRL

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2010, 11:53:30 am »

RR from this pic it looks like you got the hoses routed differently to what BSH recommend.  They recommend that the right port on the inlet manifold should go to the middle port on the can and that the left port should go to the top of the can.  From what I understand one of the main reasons for this is because it helps stop the can freezing up during the winter.

Also have you noticed if your catch can is performing ok with the way you have the hoses going down under the Forge filter and then up to it?  The reason I ask is because I routed my hoses in a similar way when I installed the BSH CAI and found the there was not enough pressure in the PCV system to push gunk down and back up the hoses if I routed the hoses like that.  The gunk just ended up collecting in the inlet hose for the can and not in the can.  Therefore I had to change the position of the can to soemwhere where the hoses were routed in a straight way and now it is working fine.

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2010, 01:15:55 pm »
I assume that was directed at me.   :smiley:

I have suggested we cut off ~6mm off the hose at the intake manifold end but there's no guarantee that'll be enough.

Yeah, well you can just do as much as possible then see how it sits.. Thats the only issue with running the boost tap from that hose really..

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2010, 03:57:47 pm »

RR from this pic it looks like you got the hoses routed differently to what BSH recommend.  They recommend that the right port on the inlet manifold should go to the middle port on the can and that the left port should go to the top of the can.  From what I understand one of the main reasons for this is because it helps stop the can freezing up during the winter.

Also have you noticed if your catch can is performing ok with the way you have the hoses going down under the Forge filter and then up to it?  The reason I ask is because I routed my hoses in a similar way when I installed the BSH CAI and found the there was not enough pressure in the PCV system to push gunk down and back up the hoses if I routed the hoses like that.  The gunk just ended up collecting in the inlet hose for the can and not in the can.  Therefore I had to change the position of the can to soemwhere where the hoses were routed in a straight way and now it is working fine.

....Thanks for pointing that out, KRL  :happy2:

I'm afraid that I've got fed up with trying to work out what BSH recommend and, having spoken with the Forge guys at the Autosport show yesterday I'm probably getting rid of the BSH tank and also changing the hoses. It's much easier to deal with Forge and I have more confidence in their products.

I need to check how full the BSH tank is (essential to be able to easily do this in practice imo) but it was alright on the last emptying.

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2010, 04:38:21 pm »
^^^ x2 robin been looking at getting rid of my bsh can in favour of the forge

or at least getting some flurolined pipes to replace the rubbish bsh pipes.

I would also recommend checking the contents of your catch can at least once a week at the moment with the cold weather

i emptied my can last weekend - had a few short runs during the week and then a spirited drive from London to Bognor yesterday morning - checked the can and was almost half full...
GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2010, 04:42:17 pm »

^^^ x2 robin been looking at getting rid of my bsh can in favour of the forge

or at least getting some flurolined pipes to replace the rubbish bsh pipes.

I would also recommend checking the contents of your catch can at least once a week at the moment with the cold weather

i emptied my can last weekend - had a few short runs during the week and then a spirited drive from London to Bognor yesterday morning - checked the can and was almost half full...

....Flurolined pipes was something which Forge pointed out as important and they happen to be able to supply them.

Thanx for the cold weather tip  :drinking: - I'd forgotten about that.