Make a donation

Author Topic: gray smoke again done a search but still confused  (Read 2680 times)

Offline jay26r

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
gray smoke again done a search but still confused
« on: May 18, 2016, 05:11:12 pm »
hello all im after a driection to take with sorting my gti
my car has had a remap (apr i think )and has 3"turbo back exhaust inc decat has the oversized induction kit (ITG) .
had a full top end rebuld inc invalve stem seals head gasket ect at psi tuning in 2012 (50k ago) and the pcv is fine (done all the tests)
The problem im having is when the car is up to temp im getting grey smoke out the exhaust when pulling from a stop and when i go on hard acceleration i get a ploom of it then it clears ,   if i turn the car off wile its up to temp and nip into the shops lets say it will smoke on start up for a second or two .
The car doesent seem to smoke on start up when cold and doesnt seem to smoe on normal driving wile its not up to temp until i have a stab at the throttle to merge into traffic lets say, and  i get a very small puff bearly noticable .
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 11:30:20 am by jay26r »

Offline jay26r

• Taking part
  • Thank You
Re: gray smoke again done a search but still confused
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 09:17:41 pm »
No one had this problem ?

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 09:35:40 pm »
Did you know you get loads of smoke with a performance exhaust?. I did when I fitted my milltek car back on my tt. a few other members on the same forum also had this issue but it's not an issue but just how it is.

Offline jay26r

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 09:53:14 pm »
Got under it earlyer and have noticed the 2nd 02 sensor is not fitted  :thinking: this may be the route of it !?!  Think if it was the way it is due to mods it would be like it all the time , also seems excessive so can't imagine any tuner would let a car go out like this , and if im honest i dont remember it being like it on the test drive and first day or so of owning it .
I did the oil swap to the recommended nanno drive , changed the plugs earlier and noticed i have oil leak onto one of the spark plug wells from the rocker cover gasket , so these will be my first fixes

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 10:04:17 pm »
The second o2 sensor just monitors the efficiency of the cat so that will have nothing to do with it.
Could be a blocked up cat?. Actually saying that now, a bmw had similar issues at a garage I was visiting and the owner cleaned it out with this chemical and sorted the problem out. This could be totally unrelated to your issue.

Offline jay26r

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 10:19:06 pm »
3" turbo back with decat so ots not that

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 10:35:11 pm »
That's as far as my thinking goes I'm afraid.

Actually check your plugs for contamination?. which plug brand?.

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 07:46:37 am »
Got under it earlyer and have noticed the 2nd 02 sensor is not fitted  :thinking: this may be the route of it !?!  Think if it was the way it is due to mods it would be like it all the time , also seems excessive so can't imagine any tuner would let a car go out like this , and if im honest i dont remember it being like it on the test drive and first day or so of owning it .
I did the oil swap to the recommended nanno drive , changed the plugs earlier and noticed i have oil leak onto one of the spark plug wells from the rocker cover gasket , so these will be my first fixes

Secondary Lambda needs to be fitted. What you describe sounds like some oil burning. You won't know what until you start ripping the car apart. Is it too much to live with

The second o2 sensor just monitors the efficiency of the cat so that will have nothing to do with it.
Could be a blocked up cat?. Actually saying that now, a bmw had similar issues at a garage I was visiting and the owner cleaned it out with this chemical and sorted the problem out. This could be totally unrelated to your issue.
not quite true. Second lambda isn't just for cat efficiency, it is also used for secondary fuelling correction so it needs to be fitted.... unless the secondary fuelling correction has been disabled properly, which I doubt.
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 09:36:48 am »
Oops my bad. Thanks for the correction  :stupid: must be old age getting to me  :doh:

Offline jay26r

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 02:42:11 pm »
doesent seem to be using oil but i was thinking this might be the case dan, fitted the 42 draft desing catch can system and it made it worse. so thats back off
also noticed that there is no check valve in the rear pcv breather that goes to the turbo ???