Make a donation

Author Topic: My grey mk5 GTI money pit  (Read 1451 times)

Offline Eddcunningham

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
My grey mk5 GTI money pit
« on: May 26, 2016, 07:10:36 pm »
Hi all,

Find myself lurking here a lot for tips and how to's, so thought I'd better introduce myself and my car!

My names Ed (as you can tell by the username) and I'm from Nottingham, but currently work in Leeds.
Always loved dubs and still lust after a mk2, just couldn't justify the costs of keeping one roadworthy :(.

After a rather crappy year, I decided to cheer myself up by finally biting the bullet and buying a mk5 GTI.
I searched every day for 6 months or so for the right spec and colour and eventually found mine up in Cheshire. After first test driving it, I wasn't overly impressed, but once the salesman told me to drop it into 3rd and floor it, I fell in love. The speed, the noise - it was perfect.
£7,250 later, it was mine. A 51k 2006 grey GTI, with cloth seats, highline MFD, steering wheel controls and 6 CD multi changer in the armrest.

After a few months however, the problems started to arise. It turns out the previous owner of this car really didn't care for it properly. Not using genuine parts, skipping services etc, so I've spent the last few months fixing any issues I've come across.
So far I've done:
- new rear caliper, as it had seized
- new rear pads and discs
- new DV and PCV
- new Michellin PS4 rear tyres
- new CV boots on front
- new front disc and pads
- cambelt and water pump
- standard starter mods (wind deflectors, GTI seat inserts, window tinting and aux input).

Lots more to do mods wise, but I have a few more big jobs to do first.
I have to get the front bumper resprayed, as someone kindly went into me whilst parked up and drove off.  :fighting:
After that I need to either get new wheels, or refurb my current ones as they're kerbed to all buggery (sadly my fault) and finally get a small bit of lacquer peel addressed.

Anyway, on with the pictures!

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
Re: My grey mk5 GTI money pit
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 07:44:08 pm »
Welcome to the forum,The problems you have had are the most common on a gti and the cam belt a service item,could of knocked of the sales price but still a bargain with the low miles.
Now as you know this forum will get you in the modding bug :signLOL:

Offline MC71

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
Re: My grey mk5 GTI money pit
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 09:18:39 pm »
Welcome to the fold Ed.

Sounds like you're getting her sorted, happy modding. :drinking: