Make a donation

Author Topic: New member from sunny scotland  (Read 926 times)

C_MacLeod

New member from sunny scotland
« on: May 31, 2016, 01:35:45 pm »
Hi guys im a new member from good old sunny Scotland looking to get myself a gti in the very near future. Currently driving a 13 plate polo (parents) but looking to get my own car since im not a fan of sharing. Just came back from volksfling down near the borders and as soon as I saw the builds there I knew exactly what I wanted.

Im currently a student so money is tight but I feel that if I want this car enough (and the all the planned extras) ill be able to save over the next year. Im not exactly an expert when it comes to cars so be prepared for a lot of stupid questions. My main aim is to build a car that has a good kick to it but will also last me a good while. I understand that cars can become a complete money pit most of the time but im not expecting to build a beast in a year.

Ive done a little bit of research into the common faults of the car and what I should look for when viewing one but im still not sure about a few points. Ive only ever wanted to drive a manual as I feel and automatic just doesn't seem like any fun. It might sound a bit strange but one of my favourite points of driving is the changing gears and an automatic would just ruin it for me. Ive come to the point though where I dont know if I would rather go for a DSG or manual transmission. What are the pros and cons of each and which does everyone else prefer? I know the DSG transmission can be costly to repair but I feel it might provide an overall better experience. Another big thing for me is how the car sounds. I love an exhaust that pops and burbles but im not sure how I can achieve this. Do you need a decat or is there other things I can do to make this happen.

Thank you for any help.