Make a donation

Author Topic: Water temperatures going into the red :( Overheating  (Read 7518 times)

Offline Lippy

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Water temperatures going into the red :( Overheating
« on: June 02, 2016, 11:51:14 pm »
Hi All,
I have done some searches and surprisingly not found much on my issue (lots of people seem to have underheating problems wtf) lol

A few days ago I noticed the water temperature was going above 90 on the gauge but it seemed to drop back down again and didnt get too high...

Yesterday though I had to pull over as the temperature went to the end of the gauge in the RED, this really made me panic when I had the big 'STOP' warning on the dashboard, I pulled over and put the blowers on as hot as they would go and it dropped back down again...
I have tonight had a look over the engine and I noticed the following :

The pipe that connects to the top of the radiator (passengers side) was red hot to the top of the radiator but anywhere past 2 inches into the radiator it was stone cold (Im guessing this could be radiated heat from the thermostat)
When I turn the car off recently the fans both spin up full chat for about a minute and then stop (this duration can be reduced by squeezing the top radiator hose) I guess its moving the water near the temperature sender?)
The bottom hose and entire radiator is stone cold
The return pipe that goes back into the filler tank is red hot and when I squeeze the top rad hose the tank bubbles so the return is working

I am thinking that its the main thermostat or the water pump but wanted to know your thoughts please?

The car is a GTi 2007 Reg and is NOT an edition30 unfortunately (wish it was!)

Question:
I have read that there are 3 thermostats in this BWA engine, could it be any of the 3?
Does anyone think it could be the radiator blocked?
Does anyone know how to check if the water pump is working?

Really appreciate any advice

Ben

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
Re: Water temperatures going into the red :( Overheating
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 01:49:04 am »
Hi, firstly are the main cooling fans operating/kicking in  when reaching around 95-100 degrees?. I'm guessing that maybe the problem as it could well be the tempreture sender switch has failed. Vagcom scan it if you have access to it?.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 03:18:27 pm by r5gtt »

Offline Llew

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 17
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 03:14:27 pm »
I had the same problem and my fans weren't kicking in - it was a fuse problem
Golf 2006 tdi 140pd, dsg paddles,blue interior led lights,r32 rear bumper, cruise control,vcds,highline , r32 mfsw steering wheel, gti front bumper,miltek decat.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 03:19:32 pm »
Oh yes as above insure you've checked the fuses?. the fans can also be feckled and you can try them with air con on and check if they are spinning.

Offline unzippy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 10:41:56 am »
When I turn the car off recently the fans both spin up full chat for about a minute and then stop

Does the above mean the fans DON'T come on while the engine is running?

Have you had the car stationary and let it warm up from cold to watch what happens with the fans and when?

Offline dubvrs

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 12:21:32 pm »
I had the same issue and it was the thermostat was not opening. Changed the thermostat and all was good.

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 12:36:35 pm »
Sounds like a thermostat issue.... nothing to do with fan and fuses.
No offense but doesn't need a mechanic to know if the rad is not getting warm and the rad and water outlet from the rad are stone cold that coolant is not getting across the thermo into the rad causing overheating
All for open discussion but if you're helping peoples cars you should have a vauge idea how they work  :signLOL: :signLOL: :signLOL:

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 01:22:12 pm »
once cars running hot. check the rad pipes to see if ones still cold.

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2016, 04:48:28 pm »
once cars running hot. check the rad pipes to see if ones still cold.

Do people even read before posting????????
both mechanically inept and dumb it seems!  :signLOL:

Quote from:  ORIGINAL POST
The pipe that connects to the top of the radiator (passengers side) was red hot to the top of the radiator but anywhere past 2 inches into the radiator it was stone cold (Im guessing this could be radiated heat from the thermostat)
When I turn the car off recently the fans both spin up full chat for about a minute and then stop (this duration can be reduced by squeezing the top radiator hose) I guess its moving the water near the temperature sender?)
The bottom hose and entire radiator is stone cold
The return pipe that goes back into the filler tank is red hot and when I squeeze the top rad hose the tank bubbles so the return is working

Waterpump is working due to water flowing back to expansion tank.
We are assuming since he said it was driving that the engine fans are not involved as the airflowing over the rad means they are not needed.

While a bit pikey having the heaters on acts as a mini-radiator as it uses the heat in the engines coolant to warm the car interior by passing air via heat exchanger so using this would effect cooling which combined with the faults RE coolant hose temperatures points to a thermostat.

OP replace your thermostats with genuine units. Manual GTIs have 2 (main thermostat and a smaller inline one) dsg ones have 3.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 04:50:40 pm by xjay1337 »

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2016, 06:56:12 pm »
Haha you're a ficking smart arse and no I didn't bother reading as it was too early in the morning and I was getting ready for work lol