Make a donation

Author Topic: Josh's Mk2 Leon Cupra Stage 2+  (Read 5581 times)

Offline Joshryan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
Josh's Mk2 Leon Cupra Stage 2+
« on: June 03, 2016, 07:46:11 pm »
Hello all,

I've recently purchased a 2007 Mk2 Leon Cupra 240. It's been 2 years since I sold my Mk5 gti which I've always regretted selling as it was a very clean example!

Anyway here's my new thread as the Cupra will be an ongoing project that never ends! I've done a few things upto now and a Nurburgring trip a few weeks ago, the car performed very well and was faultless the entire trip. Very happy as I was originally looking for an edition 30.

Here's how the Leon looked when I bought it.

And a good clean

It had a few mods when I got it.

3" piper Turboback with the Cupra R twin exit tailpipes

Pro sport coilovers which are being replaced this week.

First things first I can't stand the gold alloys so my local alloy refurb man Andy spent the morning doing a colour change, this is the result

Next up new pcv, Rev G dv, Bosch twin platinum spark plugs, oil and filter change and a new fuel filter.
I called into Stattlers and picked up autotech hpfp internals and a new cam follower, and my Ram Air intake arrived.

Ebc Premium coated discs, I didn't end up using the ultimax pads I went TPS for genuine pads instead. To be honest I'm surprised how good the pads are the stopping power is pretty decent considering the single piston calipers.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 08:40:17 pm by Joshryan »

Offline Joshryan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Re: Josh's Mk2 Leon Cupra Stage 2+
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 09:51:24 pm »
Time for mapping, I was certain I was going to R-Tech with all the great reviews but I was very happy with the service at More-Bhp in Crewe when I took my Mk5 Gti. So I returned there for stage 2+ On the Cupra I'm very pleased with results and the way the car performs, excellent work from Mike and Jason and il be returning for a map tweak when I get a few more mods on.

350bhp / 365ft lbs this is with the standard intercooler.
I'm picking my wellycooler up at the end of the week so il get that on when I get time.

Everything was ready for my first Nurburgring trip!

Out of the 3 the Cupra was by far the quickest car which I was surprised about, but I'm sure the M3 would have been the most fun to take around the track.

Home in one piece, I was worried how the clutch would cope with extra power but it never showed any signs of slipping. Although it is on the to do list.

I do love this thing, very happy with my decision to buy one

A few goodies arrived in the post yesterday which is next weeks job,
Bilstein B4 dampers
Eibach Sportlines
Oem top mounts and bearings
Powerflex dogbone torque insert,
And a 3" resonator to clamp in between the downpipe and catback (too loud)

Also got the RS4 frv to fit but I'm just waiting for the MTC runner flap delete kit to arrive, then it's gonna have a carbon clean whilst it's all off, and the wellycooler to fit.

Next plans are to get a K1 spoiler and Triple-R splitter, and I'm looking into the Devils own WMI kit but I'm not sure about that just yet.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 02:15:23 am by Joshryan »

Offline Shoduchi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 11:50:57 pm »
Why B4? Your OEM are more like the B6 and they're not made for lowering springs. For your setup the B8 would be the adequate dampers. :smiley:

Keep it going!  :driver:

Offline Joshryan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 12:22:05 am »
I know the B4s are oem spec but they are compatible for 40mm lowering springs. I would love the b8s it's just the huge price difference with other things to fund! Il see how I get on with them for now. they've definitely got to be a huge improvement over the budget coilovers I currently have fitted.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 01:48:31 am »
I wrote that because I never saw anything related with lowering in the Bilstein official site about the B4 (for me they're like normal OEM suspension dampers, not like sports OEM suspension). The B6 can take some lowering and the B8 are the best for lowering, that's why they're sold as a kit with Eibach Sportlines (B12).

I'd have waited until I saved enough money for the best dampers, or I'd postponed other power related mods. :smiley:

Offline Joshryan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 10:10:52 am »
Yeh I appreciate your input, I read reviews for a good while before I bought the b4s every description does say compatible for 40mm springs. I picked up the brand new wellycooler for £75 so I couldn't turn it down!

Offline A1_Audi

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
  • OEM +
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2016, 10:39:52 am »

Nice car mate, Leon Cupra's are very quick and capable cars.

Whats stage 2 like? i'm guessing above 50mph its a monster?

is that ram air intake any good? was contemplating getting one myself as they're about for good prices.
OEM +

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2016, 04:24:30 pm »
I went for B8s and from Germany they were only about £300 for the set of 4x dampers.

Offline Joshryan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2016, 04:31:41 pm »
I wish I would have found them for that price! How are they are you happy with them? I've already got the b4s so il just make do for now.

Offline Joshryan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2016, 04:34:59 pm »

Nice car mate, Leon Cupra's are very quick and capable cars.

Whats stage 2 like? i'm guessing above 50mph its a monster?

is that ram air intake any good? was contemplating getting one myself as they're about for good prices.

I'm very pleased with the power delivery from 3rd gear onwards. 1st and 2nd are pointless,  the ram air is a great piece
Of kit. There's 2 to choose from This and the oversized 90mm ramair

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2016, 05:38:33 pm »
My mistake. About £400 delivered.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141463861118

Offline Joshryan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2016, 06:24:29 pm »
My mistake. About £400 delivered.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141463861118
Still not as bad as I thought!

Offline Joshryan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2016, 02:14:21 am »
I wrote that because I never saw anything related with lowering in the Bilstein official site about the B4 (for me they're like normal OEM suspension dampers, not like sports OEM suspension). The B6 can take some lowering and the B8 are the best for lowering, that's why they're sold as a kit with Eibach Sportlines (B12).

I'd have waited until I saved enough money for the best dampers, or I'd postponed other power related mods. :smiley:
I retract what I previously said! Although I read a few things about B4s before purchasing, now fitted with the eibach sportlines I'm not overly impressed! Although the ride comfort is spot on its not as sure footed through the corners like it was with the coilovers. Best start saving for the B8s!

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2016, 10:06:00 am »
I was just trying to help with what I've been reading. I went for a different setup so I can only comment about the performance of Eibach Sportlines with OEM dampers in good condition. I didn't like that setup. I went for H&R -30 mm with Koni Sports and it's much better. Others who have fitted B8s with the Sportlines are happy too.

Offline Joshryan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2016, 12:15:41 am »
I was just trying to help with what I've been reading. I went for a different setup so I can only comment about the performance of Eibach Sportlines with OEM dampers in good condition. I didn't like that setup. I went for H&R -30 mm with Koni Sports and it's much better. Others who have fitted B8s with the Sportlines are happy too.
I've just been looking at the Koni sports aswell, and the Koni STR.T. To be honest the b4 and sportlines are comfortable and perfectly fine for the roads around where I am but I'm still going to change the dampers to cope with the odd track day and Nurburgring visit.