Make a donation

Author Topic: Has Anyone Stripped a Rear Caliper For Repair?  (Read 1202 times)

Offline dpalmer_220992

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
Has Anyone Stripped a Rear Caliper For Repair?
« on: May 28, 2016, 11:33:09 am »
Morning all!

So I change all my discs and pads last night to find that the rear caliper pistons where mega tight to wind back, after a bit of back and forth with the wind back tool and a lot of swearing I did manage to get them back. However on the drive home my rear drivers side got pretty warm, so it's clearly seizing and binding.

I'm all for repair things if they can be repaired so I want to know if anyway has any success popping the piston out, cleaning off the corrosion and refitting it back together. If so is it fairly straight forward?

Cheers, Dan

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
Re: Has Anyone Stripped a Rear Caliper For Repair?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 05:07:08 pm »
I tried repairing a tt rear one and ending up replacing it after swearing and cursing at it as the piston was not fitting back in for some unusual reason :doh:
Others may have had better luck than I did.

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
Re: Has Anyone Stripped a Rear Caliper For Repair?
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 07:53:40 pm »
I was wondering this the other week and would be interested to know for future maintenance.
I did this on my Hope mtb brakes a few years ago, stripped down and rebuilt the calipers with new greased seals and cleaned up pistons. But getting the pistons back in on a mtb caliper is a lot easier than a car I guess  :wink: