Make a donation

Author Topic: Problem with G85 / clock spring after MFSW retrofit  (Read 18895 times)

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
Re: Problem with G85 / clock spring after MFSW retrofit
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2016, 12:28:01 pm »
Easiest way to check is to refit thr old steering wheel and see if that changes anything.

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 125
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2016, 04:01:07 pm »
I've just read through this and as its a 2007 golf i'm a bit thrown why the bit behind the slip ring is missing, your golf is no different from any other golf.

One exception, do you know if the steering rack has been changed to Gen 3 as that can have the G85 built into that.

It will not be built into the ABS module it needs to see the steering wheel turning to feed back to everything in the car so will either be in the missing position behind the slip ring or built into the steering rack.

Is your car from UK? did it have any errors at all before you changed to the CH module? do you have any errors on the ABS module 03 you haven't  told us about as it won't set if for instance one of your ABS sensors is showing a fault (first hand experience at this)

plus just looking on ross techs site the BC SWCM does have steering angle sensor fitted, did you change or remove the slip ring when fitting the MFSW?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 04:51:38 pm by SI-R32 »
Loads of extra's and retro fits.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2016, 07:06:07 pm »
I would say SI-R32 has hit the nail on the head and the faulty wheel bearing is causing an abs esp fault and isn't allowing you to calibrate the angle sensor. That's where I'd be looking first.

Offline supercati

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2016, 04:28:45 pm »
Thanks a lot guys :happy2:.

I've just read through this and as its a 2007 golf i'm a bit thrown why the bit behind the slip ring is missing, your golf is no different from any other golf.

One exception, do you know if the steering rack has been changed to Gen 3 as that can have the G85 built into that.

It will not be built into the ABS module it needs to see the steering wheel turning to feed back to everything in the car so will either be in the missing position behind the slip ring or built into the steering rack.

Is your car from UK? did it have any errors at all before you changed to the CH module? do you have any errors on the ABS module 03 you haven't  told us about as it won't set if for instance one of your ABS sensors is showing a fault (first hand experience at this)

plus just looking on ross techs site the BC SWCM does have steering angle sensor fitted, did you change or remove the slip ring when fitting the MFSW?

Hello! I don't know if the steering rack it's Gen3. How could I check it? Looking to last AutoScan: Address 44: Steering Assist / Labels: 1Kx-909-14x-44.clb / Part No: 1K1 909 144 M

My car is from Spain (I live in Barcelona), 07/2007 (probably MY08). Before changing to CH module I had no errors at all related to this. I have been around 2 months with the rear wheel bearing damaged but no errors from ESP or ABS ever before the steering wheel swap.
You can check on the other message, I post an AutoScan from now, it shows G85 error in the 03 ABS Module

On Ross Tech it says BC (my old SWCM) has slip ring type 2 (Ref. C), and to upgrade the SWCM I had to remove the slip ring.

So, if my G85 /"steering wheel angle sensor" it's not in my slip ring and yes in my steering rack, why it is not showing any degrees when I'm steering on VagCom channel?
I would say SI-R32 has hit the nail on the head and the faulty wheel bearing is causing an abs esp fault and isn't allowing you to calibrate the angle sensor. That's where I'd be looking first.

That's why I post this info as well, but what still I can't understand is why the channel in vagcom related to steering angle doesn't show anything different from 0.00º.
Is there on the wheel bearing any sensor?

I need to change that bearing for sure, so one option would be changing it before touching anything more. The other option is buy one "steering wheel angle sensor" (1K0 959 654) and try to install it (I could do that tomorrow).
Golf V GT Sport 1.4 TSI 170 '07

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2016, 05:03:21 pm »
Maybe a faultt CH ?

All wheel have sensor on them so bearing broken will not pick up a signal from this.

If you have a slot to fit steering sensor then maybe get one and see if that helps although I couldn't be sure it will but worth a try.  :smiley:

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 125
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2016, 05:14:19 pm »
If I were you I would just buy a cheap 1K0959654 from ebay fit it and see if it works, this should 100% work with the CH module
Loads of extra's and retro fits.

Offline supercati

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2016, 07:00:12 pm »
Maybe a faultt CH ?

All wheel have sensor on them so bearing broken will not pick up a signal from this.

If you have a slot to fit steering sensor then maybe get one and see if that helps although I couldn't be sure it will but worth a try.  :smiley:
I thought also about faulty CH... (It was brand new).

If I were you I would just buy a cheap 1K0959654 from ebay fit it and see if it works, this should 100% work with the CH module

Seems good option guys, I'm gonna go for that. I have one near here for 15€, it's worth to give it a try (maybe the CH needs this steering angle sensor).
If then it works... perfect!!  :grin:
If then it doesn't work... :scared: Next step will be fix wheel-bearing (which I need to do anyway).

I will keep you updated guys with the result and future inputs!

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2016, 11:12:28 pm »
Yes do let us know and good luck  :happy2:

Offline supercati

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2016, 09:03:13 pm »
Here I am again @r5gtt @SI-R32 and other readers.

So... first a picture.

I bought the steering wheel angle sensor which my car didn't had before. Install it (reaaaally easy), and then I did the basic setup as follows here:

1- http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Golf_(1J)_Brake_Electronics_(MK60)#Basic_Setting (it showed error on VagCom Basic Setting and degrees didn't change from 0'00º. But I did it anyway).
2- http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Golf_(1K)_Steering_Assist#Steering_Limit_Stop_Adaptation following the 1st step, just the VCDS thing without doing anything more.
3- http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Golf_(1K)_Steering_Assist#Steering_Limit_Stop_Adaptation
After step 3 errors didn't turn off.

I did again the procedure:
1- http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Golf_(1J)_Brake_Electronics_(MK60)#Basic_Setting and as soon as I started driving forward because is what it says there... ESP/ABS error went OFF!
2- http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Golf_(1K)_Steering_Assist#Steering_Limit_Stop_Adaptation and steering assist error went off! :D

So now everything is in order guys. The steering assist seems to be maybe softer than before...

That's what I had installed: 1K0959654

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2016, 09:57:14 pm »
Congratulations  :congrats: you finally have it sorted now  :smiley:

Yes you have drive forward to calibrate the SAS in order for the errors to deleye off the screen which is what I did with my tt so all good.

Thanks for updating us on this as it must have picked your brain  :stupid: somewhat but now all okay  :grin:

Good one for the part no too.  :happy2:

R5