Make a donation

Author Topic: Hi from Bedfordshire  (Read 1805 times)

Offline Bard

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Hi from Bedfordshire
« on: June 08, 2016, 04:39:35 pm »
Hi All

I'm Neal - I posted in the Revo thread yesterday to say thanks for all the helpful advice on here but thought I'd introduce myself properly.

I've had my mk5 GTi for about 4 years now running just standard. While I take decent care of it in terms of looking after the easy bits and regular garage servicing etc. I'm a long way off where you guys are, in fact I've never done any modifications to a car before!

So after reading up a lot over the weekend and giving myself a crash course I've booked my car in at AKS Tuning for a stage 1 (was very close to going straight to stage 2+ with the hardware upgrades all done at once). But then I thought if I did that it might be worth looking to get an upgraded newer GTi with K04... which led me down the garden path of options and my wallet got scared!

Essentially the love and devotion shown on this forum in particular has given me a fresh outlook and so going to give some proper TLC rather than change and buy something different. I need to try and remain fairly sensible as the other half and kiddo will also be using it on a day to day basis so hopefully that'll keep my spending in check! Unfortunately the monza's on the car when I bought it had been refurbed but clearly not very well so I have some new wheels on the way too (another first!). She's a 55 plate with 90k on the clock so think there's a lot more life left in her yet.

Given the impetus was the devotion and desire for something a bit different I'm looking at wrapping options as well. I've seen a lot of decent looking cars and some not to my taste. Some of these great looking things are even up for sale here and I'd have cancelled the alloy order and changed up in a heartbeat if the options I liked had been 5 door.

Anyway, looking forward to reading and learning more about this world! Cheers to all - enjoy the sun!

Offline rashg60

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 41
Re: Hi from Bedfordshire
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 08:44:03 pm »
At last we've broken you after 4 long years!!!!!

It seems you are going all out though all of a sudden. I'd suggest you do subtle mods and stage 1, enjoy the car, then further mods and go for stage 2. That way it is more enjoyable and easier on the pocket too. Plus you can appreciate the jump from standard to stage 1 and then maybe stage 2 (if you feel the need).

PS - for stage 1 no hardware mods are required. Just remember to update your PCV and DV etc. to get the most out of it.
Previous motors (in order of succession since 1994):-

VW Golf MK2 GTi 8v
Peugeot 205 1.9 GTi
VW Corrado G60 Supercharged
Volvo C70 2.0 Turbo Convertible
Audi TT MK1 1.8T quattro (225)
Mercedes CLS 320 V6
Audi TT MK1 3.2 V6 Quattro
Audi A4 Convertible 1.8T Quattro
VW Golf MK5 GTi 2.0 Turbo

Offline Bard

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 01:02:07 pm »
Haha yep! Took a while but I'm on the slippery slope!

Indeed - I thought going stage2+ straight away would be a bit much. So doing as you suggest and just going stage 1 revo map to begin with. We shall see how that goes :)

I'm all very new to this so welcome and advice to get the best out of it. Are these easy jobs to do with a bit of research or best to ask for them to be done while the mapping is being done? Ideally I'd like to do myself I best get researching for some how to's!

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 01:13:27 pm »
Welcome along matey!

Offline Craig Stanley

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 16
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 11:47:22 am »
I'm on the same path as you. I've done some interior mods and all the necessary upgrades to go stage 1. Booked in at rtech on 30th July. Can't wait.:):)

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Offline Bard

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 12:38:21 pm »
Cheers for the welcomes - sorry for the disappearance as soon as arriving. Bloody work getting in the way of life again.

Nice one Craig - it was spend a little to try this route out or spend on an RS or new R golf for me. I did debate taking the in laws MK7 GTi off them at trade in price to start from the higher spec KO4 base. As this is the first foray into tuning/moding for me though I thought it best to try out with what i have in case of something going horrifically wrong! The missus doesn't get it anyway so spending more on a new car and then upgrading probably wouldn't have gone down well! hahaha

Offline Craig Stanley

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 16
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 12:47:26 pm »
Your not alone mate. My missus doesn't get any of it. She doesn't drive and thinks I should just drive around in a £100 car and have done with it:) :b******s:

Offline Bard

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 06:39:42 pm »
Your not alone mate. My missus doesn't get any of it. She doesn't drive and thinks I should just drive around in a £100 car and have done with it:) :b******s:

Haha - it's not quite that bad thankfully. She's just a bit like her old man and too risk averse! Had the car in on Wednesday for the work to be done but the nice guys at aks let me know exactly what was wrong and needed doing...

Time to move on I think, upgrade to a 7R it is! Test drove a DSG 15 plate last night on the way to pick the other up. Nice but smelt a bit of fags - not for me! Went via carwow to get some quotes and so will be up to Huntingdon on Saturday morning... Still reckon I'll be going for a manual though, and that panoramic sunroof made it feel a lot lighter up front!

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk