Make a donation

Author Topic: Clunking sound from front of car mk5 gti  (Read 3376 times)

Offline eoin0706

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Clunking sound from front of car mk5 gti
« on: June 13, 2016, 08:22:26 pm »
Hi everyone,i recently got new pads on the front of my car and since then ive noticed that when im crawling along say down a small incline and i apply the brakes i can here a clunking noise.Has anybody ever had a situation like this?I also had recent work done,2 cv koints to be exact but that was quite a bit before i got new pads.Thanks in advance..

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
Re: Clunking sound from front of car mk5 gti
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 08:54:24 pm »
Check tightness of all ball joint nuts. track rod end nuts. caliper nuts. hub nuts and of course wheel nuts.

Offline eoin0706

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 09:03:24 pm »
Ok r5gtt i will do that thanks for your reply

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 11:21:28 pm »
No worries and let us know how you get on. :smiley:

Offline tig202

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 11:26:53 pm »
As r5gtt said but it might be worth checking the new brake pads for movement within the caliper. Try this one out to get to the bottom of the problem :- drive slow forward and brake to a stop, any noise? Then try reversing slowly and brake to a stop, any noise? If so try again in reverse... If there is movement in the pads then braking twice in the same direction should highlight pad movement and no noise should be heard . This is sometimes an issue with aftermarket brake pads being slightly smaller than the oem versions and the noise is somewhat noticeable. a healthy dose of high temp lube on where the pad sits in the carrier might alleviate this clunking. Please post back if this helps
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 11:34:32 pm by tig202 »

Offline eoin0706

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 07:31:16 am »
Thanks tig202 i think i might try this first as it is an easier option to attempt first,ill reverse and listen for the noise and see if it appears but as i say i have only noticed it small inclines at low speed either on a smooth or uneven surface

Offline eoin0706

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 06:38:12 pm »
So a little update i had the car in with the chap who fitted the pads,he went over the car and said pads are perfect with not movement,he did however say that there was movement in the track rod ends and suggested to replace them as they were worn.He also said most likely the other problem is 2 very worn rear wish bone bushes and that under pressure thats where the noise is coming from.

He also noticed i have a small  oil leak at the back of the engine coming from the top,is this a common issue?

Thanks again guys :happy2:

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 07:11:48 pm »
Hi,

Replace the wishbone bushes with an anti lift kit or polyurethane bushes and you can't go wrong.

Regarding the oil leak sounds like the cam cover but the mechanic should have checked that thoroughly as it's easy when on the ramp so you can then take further steps to rectify it. :slap: stupid mechanic.

Offline eoin0706

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 07:37:02 pm »
Thanks for the reply r5gtt,hopefully i will get things sorted next week when i have a few quid,its seems to be money every few weeks at the moment going into the car.My brother works in car sales so he is going to get the car looked after when the mechanic returns from holidays there regarding the cam cover and other areas.Ill look into the polyurethane bushes for it too and update things when done.

Cheers

Eoin

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 07:44:16 pm »
No worries eoin, yes these cars tend to eat up money every other week for something or another  :doh:

Why I ever brought it ffs should have just got something  else for the money I paid and sent so far.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

R5