Make a donation

Author Topic: Edition 30 problem  (Read 2552 times)

Offline Snaggletooth

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
Edition 30 problem
« on: June 10, 2016, 06:44:41 pm »
I'm having a big headache at the moment with my local VW garage over a repair and was wondering if anyone has experience with this or has any advice.

A few weeks ago my ED30 started to stutter above around 4k revs and the engine management light was flashing. Suspecting faulty coil packs (as I had exactly the same issue last year) I took it to my VW garage and asked them to look at it. They told me the rocker gasket had sprung a leak all over the coil-packs and plugs...all of which they said needed replacing.  Ok so they went ahead and replaced gasket, coils and plugs..they filled it with oil and gave it a full test and health check which it all passed.

I collected the ED30 and started a 120 mile drive to Bristol only for exactly the same thing to happen again after around 100 miles.  Exactly the same symptoms.  Stuttering above 4k revs and engine management light flashed.  Once dropped below the light stops flashing and everything seems OK.

Anyway I called the AA and the guy opens the bonnet and removed the top black cover.  Straight away he tells me that there are 2 screws missing that hold the connectors to the coilpacks in place.  He then removes the black bar that makes each connection to all 4 coil packs one at a time.  Only 1 of the 4 clips are actually working (i.e. he had to push the lip in with a screw driver to remove it, the other 3 just came away and may not have been completely connected?).  Also the engine lost 2 litres of oil and was engine was covered in it.

So anyway after about a 12hr mission to get home, I had it dropped at the VW garage, I told them the issue above according to the AA man and showed them the photo.

They are now saying that there should not be 2 screws in those 2 screw holes and having them holes without screws installed is normal.  They also tell me that it is not the the issue that the AA man said it was and it looks like it is the fuel injectors.

I was wondering if anyone has a photo of their engine with the cover off so I can see if yours has screws. Also would the fuel injector breaking give identical symptoms i.e. fine until around 4k revs, then stuttering and flashing engine light, and then normal again below 4k. Would a broken fuel injector make it leak the entire oil contents all over my engine (2 litres worth).

I took a photo of where the 2 screws should have been according to the AA man.  See here: - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bzaw4GcNAxt7bEdHbEJaQ2Z2c3M
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 07:03:00 pm by Snaggletooth »

Offline GTintelligence

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
Re: Edition 30 problem
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 07:01:19 pm »
Odd - not been on here for ages but have a 59 plate ed30 and have recently had a coil pack fail, causing horrendous mis-fire on cylinder 3.  I too noticed a lack of bolts holding the wiring loom for the coil pack, but looking at videos on the internet many don't seem to have any - mine certainly didn't.  The other symptoms you describe I can help with, sorry, but thought you might like to know that there is a good chance your garage isn't talking rubbish about that part of your worries at least.
I am not a Vauxhall.

Offline shoaybmakda

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 07:41:51 pm »
The stuttering could be related to coil packs, spark plugs or injectors from my experience. I had a misfire on cylinder 3 on mine and started with spark plugs. Brand new set and still the same issue. Changed coil packs and no difference. In the end needed a new injector (although this didn't cause oil to go everywhere from what I know). From memory I did have screws on mine but don't quote me 100% on that. I'll be lifting my engine cover tomorrow so I can have a look (hopefully I'll remember!!)

Offline MateyGuv

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 67
  • Instagram & YouTube - mateyguv
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,69555.0.html
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 09:57:38 pm »
The two screws you talk of seem to be on some and not on others. Mine didn't have them when I bought the car so I ordered some replacements and fitted them. Only 30 odd pence from TPS so not much for piece of mind. The misfire you describe sounds like a problem I had, when I replaced the coil packs I changed them for the red tops that come from the R8 which are meant to be better than the standard ones and better for mapped cars. They are available from most tuners for around £100. Shortly after I did that my ED started to miss a beat every now and then at 4K plus but more notably low revs. Yours isn't stalling for no reason is it? I replaced the thrust sensor http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,69555.195.html last picture on this page (part number too) and it has been good as gold since.

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 10:23:05 pm »
Don't know about the misfire, but losing so much oil after rocker cover replacement does not seem to stack up, unless not fitted back correctly. Sounds well dodgy to me, and an incorrect diagnosis of the problem you went in with. $tealers!!!! :fighting: :mad: