Make a donation

Author Topic: New rear tyres worn to limit on outside edge after 8000 miles  (Read 1821 times)

Offline mellttgolf

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
New rear tyres worn to limit on outside edge after 8000 miles
« on: December 06, 2016, 04:03:00 pm »
Fitted new rear tyres less than 12 months ago.  Now outside edge tread has worn to legal limit on both equally after only 8000 Miles.  Can only find where abnormal wear sometimes occurs on inside edge tread.  Anybody any experience of this?  :sad1:

Offline 99hagued

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 23
Re: New rear tyres worn to limit on outside edge after 8000 miles
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 12:33:59 am »
Sound like you need to get the wheel alignment done mate, the rear toe and camber is fully adjustable on the golfs just make sure you use somewhere that has a 4 wheel alignment machine like a hunter machine. What make of tyres you running?

Offline mellttgolf

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 08:59:46 am »
Thanks for the answer.  A google search didn't provide that information.  It is actually my son's car so he fitted cheap tyres.  We thought there was no adjustment available for the rears.  The fronts are tracking fine.  Thanks very much for the advice.  Off to find a hunter machine.

Offline mikezs

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 09:16:40 am »
I had this on all 4 tyres. Don't know where you are, but if you're in Essex I went to this place: http://www.thetyreshopwitham.co.uk/ and they checked the alignment on their Hunter thingy for free. All my wheels were way out of spec!

They then adjusted the camber, caster and toe on all 4 corners for £60 inc vat. I didn't notice much of a difference, but I don't drive my car very hard.

I got 2 print outs of the before and after adjustment form their computer, so you know it's done properly.

Offline mellttgolf

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 09:25:17 am »
We are in Cheshire so Essex is a bit far to go.  Thanks for the guide price.  The tyres are Davanti.  A new kid on the block being aggresively pushed by tyre fitters.  Imported by Oak tyres, a major distributor in the north west, who has hooked up with a chinese manufacturer, Sentury Tire, who they say have a state of the art robotic manufacturing plant.
I dont think the 'chinese' tyres are the problem, as the fronts were ok.  It looks like the alignment.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 12:45:33 pm »
Does sound liking the rear needs adjusting,the tyres you mention as just a very cheap budget tyre

Offline Dan_FR

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 12:57:26 pm »
Rears are camber and toe adjustable. Hunter machines make the process idiot proof, even the likes of kwikfit can get this right these days
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

MPS

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 11:54:51 pm »
Rears are camber and toe adjustable, [if the bushes haven't seized up, like mine!] Hunter machines make the process idiot proof, even the likes of kwikfit can get this right these days

Offline vwpete91

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2016, 10:34:31 am »
Rear alignment/tracking or I also seen a chart before on wear in different areas of the tyres and what it means for the outer wall, the middle and the inner of the tyre wear, one was to do with over inflation, one with soft tyres it's worth a Google

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk