Make a donation

Author Topic: White connector and brown and the way they're spaced  (Read 6787 times)

Offline VC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
White connector and brown and the way they're spaced
« on: January 17, 2010, 02:34:48 pm »
So i managed to successfully instal the RNS510 into the EOS  :pomppomp: (those that know me will realise what a landmark achievement this is for me :grin:)

however, on the back of the rcd300 as well as the huge plug thing there was a beige connector and a white connector that sit side by side. on the rns510 there are the two places to plug them back into however they arent spaced far enough apart to be able to plug the cables back in  :ashamed:

so i made the executive decision to plug just one back in (the white one) and everything seems all happy when i powered it all up. the nav is working (only shows 3/7 satellites however, although i would guess this is due to where i have placed the gps aerial but its working so not worried)

but the sissy parking sensors no longer work, when you engage reverse you get a long tone only. is this what the beige connector is for?

what are these two then? (the white and beige)

is there a plug or something i can buy to shove on the back to space them out better so i can get both back on?

many thanks btw to those that have nursed me via pm, without you i wouldnt be this far  :grin:

just this last hiccup to solve.... although, if anyone knows how to wipe the tunes off of the HDD that would help as mrs cherry doesnt like the previous owners taste in thrash speed metal  :laugh:

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
Re: White connector and brown and the way they're spaced
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 02:39:53 pm »
Wiping the music is easy, there is an option to delete. (easy if you delete the whole folder)

The white and brown connectors are both aerials I think. You need to pop the covers ofd. (There is a little tab which you pull out and then the cover slides off. You will then see bare metal which you can connect both  to the original locations. There is a proper adaptor you can buy from VW or ebay.

:happy2:

Offline VC

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 02:44:42 pm »
Wiping the music is easy, there is an option to delete. (easy if you delete the whole folder)

The white and brown connectors are both aerials I think. You need to pop the covers ofd. (There is a little tab which you pull out and then the cover slides off. You will then see bare metal which you can connect both  to the original locations. There is a proper adaptor you can buy from VW or ebay.

wheres the option to delete? (i dont have a manual)

so with the covers popped off then they will go on as they should? or is this plug from VW needed

:smiley:

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 02:48:51 pm »
They will go on with out the adaptor and will work fine so the adaptor is not really needed no. I cant really remember exactly where it is, I think it is the button next to the folder with has the delete option in there.

This will be useful for you to Mr VC:
http://www.primeprestige.com/oemretrofits/manuals/RNS510-MFD3-Manual.pdf

Offline VC

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 02:51:11 pm »
superb  :drinking:

given you a 'thankyou'   :pomppomp:

so the sissy sensor failure is nothing to do with me and my stereo install skills then?

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 02:55:53 pm »
The white and brown connectors are for AM and FM radio (can't remember which way round). If you plug them the wrong way round, you get crap radio reception but the right way and everything should be crystal clear.

Don't know what you had before. Is it possible the canbus needs to be told you have satnav?

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline VC

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 03:04:38 pm »
The white and brown connectors are for AM and FM radio (can't remember which way round). If you plug them the wrong way round, you get crap radio reception but the right way and everything should be crystal clear.

Don't know what you had before. Is it possible the canbus needs to be told you have satnav?

ah cool, ive tuned the radio in, so its got FM 100% didnt try AM but cant say as she would need that but will do it anyway...mrs cherry is out being ripped off at tesco's at the moment so will sort the beige one out on her return

canbus and satnav, this a parking thing or a number of satellites thing?

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 03:21:07 pm »
Unsure of the parking issue to be honest.
It will need to be coded to the car. I think it works without being coded but it is better you get it done I was told.

The number of satellites really depends on where you are. I on average get around 6-8 i think. It also depends on where you have placed the antenna. :happy2:

Offline VC

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 03:27:48 pm »
Coding to the car...... way beyond me that one  :sad1:

dont have the software/cable thingy to do that, i would assume if i took it to VW they could do this? i would also assume i would have to bend over for the cost as well

i'm not saying mrs cherry cant park, but there's a reason her EOS was bought with sensors  :grin:

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 03:30:55 pm »
VC take a look at the link.  It gives you an idea on the aerial housing mod. (about half way down)

http://www.my-gti.com/1088/upgrading-2nd-generation-radios-rcd-300-rcd-500-to-3rd-generation-rcd-210-rcd-310-rns-310-rns-510-rcd-510-antenna-adapter

Edit- Whoops forgot the link!

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 03:33:28 pm »

dont have the software/cable thingy to do that, i would assume if i took it to VW they could do this? i would also assume i would have to bend over for the cost as well

i'm not saying mrs cherry cant park, but there's a reason her EOS was bought with sensors  :grin:

Coding is really simple if you have the lead, look for some one in your area who has one and it could be done in a couple of mins. I wouldn't go to VW to code the nav as they will probably charge you ridiculous money for an easy peasy job!

I am sure someone with more knowledge will be able to sort out your parking sensors on here.  :happy2:

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 03:34:24 pm »
Also to add,

Don't cut the plastic housings off.  Just use an electrical screwdriver and prise them off at the base (where the lead enters the housing)  and they come off easily.

Offline VC

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 03:42:57 pm »
Also to add,

Don't cut the plastic housings off.  Just use an electrical screwdriver and prise them off at the base (where the lead enters the housing)  and they come off easily.

cool  :happy2:

tbh if its just to achieve AM radio i'm not sure if its really worth all the effort to take everything apart again? She only listens to CD's and local radio anyway, but cheers for the tip though  :smiley:

Coding is really simple if you have the lead, look for some one in your area who has one and it could be done in a couple of mins. I wouldn't go to VW to code the nav as they will probably charge you ridiculous money for an easy peasy job!

I am sure someone with more knowledge will be able to sort out your parking sensors on here.  :happy2:

so what is it exactly that needs coding? :ashamed: the sensors or something else?

cameluk

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 04:49:31 pm »
With only one aerial connected, check that you get traffic announcements, I found with only 1 aerial attached I didn't receive them although FM was fine

Continuous beep from the parking systems, indicates a fault with the parking system either a faulty sensor or even a dirty one

Don't think you need to code the RNS for the older audio parking sensors

Oh and a far better manual is located here http://ws.skoda-auto.com/download/4all/Documentation/en/Olders/Octavia/navigation/A5_Octavia_Columbus_NavigationSystem.pdf
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 04:53:35 pm by cameluk »

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • My Build thread
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 05:11:55 pm »

Not quite!
They are both the same. The 2 connectors are for the diverity aerials. One is rear window, the other is roof aerial. You can use either one on it's own, but the reception will not be as good.