Make a donation

Author Topic: Turbo lag  (Read 2631 times)

Offline GTIEagles

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
Turbo lag
« on: June 21, 2016, 11:04:11 am »
I am now on my 2nd MK5 GTI and my new one seems to have more turbo lag than the last.

When i got it the DV had split so I had this replaced with a rev G which has restored the performance but it is definitely more laggy than my last.

It's an identical spec apart from having a Scorpion non resonated cat back, could this be making less responsive? No more fault codes since replacing the DV.

Offline Pesky jones

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 19
Re: Turbo lag
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 12:05:27 pm »
Presuming it is same engine code the turbo will kick in at the same RPM

Im thinking it could be engine mounts?

Offline GTIEagles

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 12:45:07 pm »
Yeah same engine code both AXX.

I can't see how engine mounts would cause lag  :confused:

Offline Pesky jones

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 01:04:21 pm »
Sorry having re read my post it wasn't very clear. Unless something is broke (boost leak etc) then the lag should be exactly the same. I assume both are the same transmission?

I was saying - that what you think is lag might not actually be lag, and could be something like a difference in engine mounts.

If you had a VCDS log of fuel rail pressures in both cars, you could check when the boost comes in?

Offline GTIEagles

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 01:25:39 pm »
Oh right, I get you now! It's exactly the same age as my old one but 30K less miles and it drives like a much newer car although I think the suspension feels softer... but this could be due to the tyres?! Both manuals.

I'm more inclined to go with a potential boost leak. With the old one you could floor it and it would have very slight lag for a split second and then go, with my current one you floor it and wait about a second then it picks up, obviously 1 second feels like an eternity when you are use to something much more responsive.

I unfortunately don't own the old one anymore but I can take some logs of my new one and post back.