Make a donation

Author Topic: Air Conditioning  (Read 2703 times)

Offline flyingf15h

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Air Conditioning
« on: June 16, 2016, 05:22:21 pm »
I have a 2007 with the dual zone climate. Quite some time ago the high pressure switch decided to split venting all the air conditioning gas out of the car. As i don't use the car a great deal i thought i would wait until the service and get everything done at once.
The high pressure switch was replaced, the system tested for other leaks (none found) and regassed. Unforutnately the air still isn't getting cold, with a temp probe in the vents set to recirculate with LO mode activated the temp does not drop at all. If I increase the heat the temperature increases but it seems as though the air con isn't running. A diagnostic test reports no faults within the system and the pipes in the engine bay don't seem to be cool either (i don't know if they should be, in a previous car they did!)
Basically I'm asking is there something as simple as a fuse or relay that may have failed? or does it look as though the pump may have given up?

Offline AliGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 2
Re: Air Conditioning
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 12:55:55 am »
Sounds really silly but have you used the AC while driving or just at tickover? I remember thinking something funny was going on with mine. Turns out the AC unit doesn't run unless you're driving or have some revs on. Think it's in the maunal somewhere too.

Offline Flyingscotsman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 22
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 09:35:15 am »
Sounds really silly but have you used the AC while driving or just at tickover? I remember thinking something funny was going on with mine. Turns out the AC unit doesn't run unless you're driving or have some revs on. Think it's in the maunal somewhere too.

Good point. You won't get much cooling at idle. If you want to test it hold the revs at 3-4 k for 30 sec to 1min & you should feel cold air coming through.

Also, again a silly/obvious point - make sure the ECON button is not active - this disables the a/c.

Offline flyingf15h

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 03:23:11 pm »
Initially it was tested at idle, but have since driven the vehicle and no cooling improvement. I have switched econ on then back off again and sadly no cold air either

Good point. You won't get much cooling at idle. If you want to test it hold the revs at 3-4 k for 30 sec to 1min & you should feel cold air coming through.

Also, again a silly/obvious point - make sure the ECON button is not active - this disables the a/c.

Offline lukemk5gti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 03:39:56 pm »
Most likely your compressor has kicked it. Pricey fix at anywhere from £500 to £1500 depending on who you go to.

Offline white91

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 05:56:30 pm »
I replaced my compressor and condenser for around £300

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline lukemk5gti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 08:11:22 am »
I replaced my compressor and condenser for around £300

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DIY?

I'm including labour cost.

Offline Bearings

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 09:31:54 am »
Same as white91 - it cost me just over £300+ for diagnostics and a new OEM-spec compressor & regas to be sorted out (no condenser).

If you're near Birmingham, try this chap. No connections, just a satisfied customer.
www.acmedic.co.uk

Offline flyingf15h

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 01:04:54 pm »
Not a million miles from Birmingham so ill give him a go, thanks