Make a donation

Author Topic: Car security ?  (Read 9214 times)

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • gone old skool
Re: Car security ?
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 10:22:50 pm »
If you have Revo you can always use the disable option on that - ok so anyone with a switch could re-enable but if you dont advertise you have Revo on there - how would they know...

Offline Rich

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 8
  • Buy Land, They Don't Make It Anymore
    • Carpet Underlay
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 10:43:38 pm »
The end of the day, if the thiefs want sommat... they'll get it... no matter what security you try put up
~ Golf MK5 Pirelli ~ 36k Miles and continuing!

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • gone old skool
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2010, 11:08:00 pm »
The end of the day, if the thiefs want sommat... they'll get it... no matter what security you try put up

Fair point - not a reason to do nothing though, chance theives will be put off.

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2010, 11:15:10 pm »
As I said don't really want to get into the for and against's, just really interested in methods of securing ones car via eletronic or mechanical means :-)

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2010, 12:50:25 am »
Agree with Nousey - make your house/home impregnable and ensure your pride'n'joy is as safe as possible.

Having the car immobilised will only mean the thugs come back in again. Better for the car to be in valet mode and if the thugs say anything when they get the key, tell them it's f00ked and needs to go into a garage.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline matsu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2010, 08:57:16 am »
i,m with aparoon on this one i,m afraid..... if they do actually get in they gonna find me and my fav length of bannister rail or my nun chuks ready to swing if they dont re think their strategy.
i work too fcuking hard to let some scumbag take what is my pride and joy and i would rather face the legal consequences than just give it away.
lucky my kids dont live with me so i have no worries there.
i know if they want it badly they will find a way but we should all make it as difficult as poss to let them as greenouse says!
but also now shouldnt car manafacturers be thinking of this as amajor problem and trying to help out-its a major usp they could use to sell with as well.
just my tuppence
 :drinking:
matsu
keep on doing what ya doing you,ll keep on getting what ya getting.

learn from the mistakes of others-"you dont live long enough to make them all yourself"

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2010, 09:24:25 am »
i,m with aparoon on this one i,m afraid..... if they do actually get in they gonna find me and my fav length of bannister rail or my nun chuks ready to swing if they dont re think their strategy.
i work too fcuking hard to let some scumbag take what is my pride and joy and i would rather face the legal consequences than just give it away.
lucky my kids dont live with me so i have no worries there.
i know if they want it badly they will find a way but we should all make it as difficult as poss to let them as greenouse says!
but also now shouldnt car manafacturers be thinking of this as amajor problem and trying to help out-its a major usp they could use to sell with as well.
just my tuppence
 :drinking:
matsu

If manufacturers build things into the car then the crooks are ready and expecting it so come prepared for the problem.

Anyway has anyone got suggestion for actual devices to go on the car

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • gone old skool
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2010, 09:25:26 am »
tell them it's f00ked and needs to go into a garage.

My god do theives test drive them now too - they come back if there not happy  :happy2:  :laugh:

Sorry 182, back on topic....

The valet mode is quite a good idea, might become a pain doing it every day.  Garage your car surely has to be a good idea (where possible)

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2010, 09:29:56 am »

My god do theives test drive them now too - they come back if there not happy  :happy2:  :laugh:

The valet mode is quite a good idea, might become a pain doing it every day.  Garage your car surely has to be a good idea (where possible)

How do you get valet mode ?, im gussing it involves alot of fannying around with Bluefin etc, which is why i thought something automated might be a good idea (or something like the Autowatch button)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 09:33:31 am by 182_blue »

Offline matsu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2010, 09:32:15 am »
/\ /\ x2 please
keep on doing what ya doing you,ll keep on getting what ya getting.

learn from the mistakes of others-"you dont live long enough to make them all yourself"

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2010, 10:20:43 am »
I see your point there but the people that are doing this are nothing special, they are little scumbags who use fear more than anything, I have seen very few that are big tough blokes, if any! I speak to a lot of people who say 'I'm glad I wasn't in or I would have been the one getting locked up...' and it really annoys me that people have that attitude, you have a right to defend your property/home and self most importantly and unless you do something excessive/disproportionate/unjustified then you are more than within your rights, you may be asked to account for your actions so be honest about what you do/did!

I would make as hard as you can for them and stick up for yourself! I would not give up my car keys without doing everything I could first! I understand some people will say 'its just a car' but for me I'ts more than that, I work hard for what I have ( quiet Beddie ) and no way am I going to let some f*ck take it without a fight, no chance!  :fighting: :fighting: :mad:

I appreciate some people don't feel the same but thats me
...........same here,i would like to see one of the little barstewardss try & take my GTI without a fight.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 10:22:26 am by Gene Hunt »
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2010, 11:35:32 am »

The valet mode is quite a good idea, might become a pain doing it every day.  Garage your car surely has to be a good idea (where possible)

How do you get valet mode ?, im gussing it involves alot of fannying around with Bluefin etc, which is why i thought something automated might be a good idea (or something like the Autowatch button)

Have you spoken to SC about this Shaun?

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2010, 12:16:11 pm »
although not strictly on topic.

I would also consider as Greenouse said home security.
upvc doors being your first point of weakness.

disklock for car (clows them down or puts the casual thief off)
drive posts , or wheel locks (like for caravans)

all help but its a balance between security and being able to live your life.
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2010, 02:09:34 pm »
No, why ?

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2010, 03:19:03 pm »
No, why ?

With regard use of the Bluefin handset as a security device??