Make a donation

Author Topic: *** All your bluefin/superchips questions and answers in here please.  (Read 120924 times)

Offline garethmk1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Re: Ordered Bluefin
« Reply #180 on: January 06, 2009, 11:22:14 pm »

Gareth,

Having recently uploaded the 'new' Superchips Ed 30 DSG map (which is now apparently equal in characteristics to the manual one) I kind of know what you mean.

My new map took 100 or so miles to settle down and the car did seem very uncomfortable to begin with.

I have had one day of dry warmer weather since loading the map and if it wasn't for that I would think the car couldn't cope at all with it !  The dry day was great and the car flew .... getting most of the power down.  Since then, though, it has been a nightmare with the cold weather making it seem like the car just can't handle the power.  I am going to hold out for good weather before deciding 100% either way.....

At the moment the first 2 gears are useless without alot of care and 3rd is still quite interesting ! 

SC have emailed me have the original uprated map I had before the new one so if I choose I can put that back on the car until the weather gets better.  That was less aggressive low down but still effectively produced the same peak power (my graphs are shown in this thread previously).  Time will tell.  I think probably the weather is, as others have said, the main problem. 

You could ask SC if they have a lower torque option like the old DSG map ?  That felt like a bit more than standard up to about 4K then if flew. 

FWIW once settled I have found the newer map the smoothest of the two I have had, and still OK low down.  It may just be with the extra power once the boost comes in fully that even more low down seems like less .... perhaps ?

I do think a bit of dry weather will see me grinning stupidly .... the remap makes the car seem soooo quick it almost feels like it should break !   It is interesting when you consider that SC remap is considered more 'conservative' and 'cautious' with 'less power' than say REVO OR GIAC.  Those were words used by two other tuners on the phone to me .... they are not my own.

Just my views FWIW

You have hit the nail firmly on the head - exactly the point, the fact that the first 3 gears are more or less redundant, like the car can't cope with it - all these things have crossed my mind as well.  THat is exactly how I feel.  All others thank you for your respective inputs.  The tyres are due for changeing soon, at the moment (thanks to VW Maintainence Plan) I have Bridgestone's on the front which are near the legal limit and Conti's on the back which are as new.  Could very well be a tyre issue. At the moment it is -8 deg C outside, the gritters have been around a million times turning the road into a surface so greasy it is comparable to a doner kebab. Maybe the ECU needs some time to settle with the new map also and hopefully it will tame power delivery a tad.   

I actually spoke to superchips today and they confirmed that due to complaints made by ED30 / GTi owners, a new manual transmission map will be available for download within the next month or two which will limit torque in 1st & 2nd gears comparable to he mods made to the DSG map.

I also appreciate Hurdy's comments about chasing the weakest link and other posts by RR about the slippery path ! I don't want to change engine mounts, suspension compontents etc etc (with the exception of breaks - which will be modified), I just wanted a standard daily driver ED30 with a bit more grunt - but I suppose one cannot have it all ways !!

It was just that the ED30 was such a fun, predictable car that could be driven with real pace extremly enthusiastically with 230 bhp and it now feels like a nevours, twitchy schitzopherenic handful at best - I just hope that dry weather will change my mind  :happy2:

Thanks to all again

Gareth

Mk5 Golf GTi Edition 30 No:- 2101, 3Dr, Tornado Red, Rear Tints, RCD510 & Sound Pack, Arm Rest
Mk1 Golf GTi 16v Helios Blue, Too Many Mods To List .... MY First Car ! Owned Since 1996 !!! NEARLY READY !!!!!

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #181 on: January 06, 2009, 11:31:14 pm »
benefit of the bluefin mate, you can just take it off during these conditions if it is not beneficial and come spring remap again
 :drinking:

GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.

Offline SO8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #182 on: January 07, 2009, 12:04:41 pm »
benefit of the bluefin mate, you can just take it off during these conditions if it is not beneficial and come spring remap again
 :drinking:

I've kind of done that ... I have reverted to the 'original' SC remap for the DSG.  I reloaded it on this morning so still have nearly 300bhp ... but with the lower torque map.  I immediately loaded the newest map back into the BF ready for better weather  :evilgrin:

The older SC map is soooooo much slower than the newest one - when you drive them back to back it really is an eye opener !   That said, the older of their uprated maps is still much quicker than standard but much more suited to the current climate. 

I had little problem getting all the power down in 2nd upwards which made for a more relaxing drive.  It does feel gutless in 4th onwards though - the extra torque and power of the newer map really does come into it's own on the motorway and it obviously hadn't taken me long to get used to having it!

It is great being able to choose between standard (though I can't see me going there except for servicing) uprated (low torque) and uprated (high torque).   :laugh:

Offline Greeners

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #183 on: January 07, 2009, 12:12:41 pm »
Gareth, the lower 'dogbone' engine mount may help without causing extra vibration  :happy2: A cheap and effective mod.

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=393.0

Offline beppe

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #184 on: January 07, 2009, 12:41:42 pm »
I well and truelly jumped on this bandwagon today and ordered myself a blue fin!

Offline The wheel man

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #185 on: January 07, 2009, 12:48:19 pm »
I well and truelly jumped on this bandwagon today and ordered myself a blue fin!

Me too, just ordered the dog bone  :happy2:  1st mod for me then!!

As i can't afford a remap yet i will get the other bits ready for when i do IE this, dump valve, brakes etc.

Why had SC been given so much bad press in the past?  On "the other" site, i can remember reading a single post that said they were any good but no reasons were given.....   Seems like a great product with top after sales service  :happy2:
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 02:16:49 pm by The wheel man »
APR cat back, ECS Insert

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #186 on: January 07, 2009, 12:54:08 pm »

Me too, just ordered the dog bone  :happy2:  1st mod for me then!!

As i can afford a remap yet i will get the other bits ready for when i do IE this, dump valve, brakes etc.

Why had SC been given so much bad press in the past?  On "the other" site, i can remember reading a single post that said they were any good but no reasons were given.....   Seems like a great product with top after sales service  :happy2:

Sensible way of doing it Ben! TBH I never bought into the negative crap that was spouted and went by recomendations from people who had the product and knew what they were talking about. One of the major reasons they were slated is because they aren't exclusivley a VAG tuner, but that makes no odds to me!  :wink: And if anything means they have more resource and financial backup.  :happy2:

Offline SO8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #187 on: January 07, 2009, 01:01:52 pm »

I was going to get the APR remap done by Tuningwerkes for my Ed 30 .... and I am sure I would have been more than happy as they have a great reputation - but having used Superchips on 3 cars a few years back I thought I would speak to them and see if they could turn me away from APR or Revo.

A brief email 'conversation' with Michael Alvey-Anderson got straightforward and clear replies which convinced me they were worth another go.  Because of my concerns they offered to install the map and do before and after rolling road runs for free ..... I took them up on this and, as I have stated here and on the 'other' sites I am very happy again with their product.  Their aftersales is great.  I have been on the phone asking stupid questions and they answered them all. 

I still can't make my mind up between their new powerful map for my car or the previous less torque orientated version - Superchips answer has been to supply me with both maps so I can change them myself using the Bluefin device.  Cost - nothing!   Top people ....

« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 01:04:45 pm by SO8 »

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #188 on: January 07, 2009, 01:13:58 pm »
i like the new more powerfull map, i had the revised (the nov 08 one, and i prefered the one it came with) lower power one on  previously and it felt too slow lower down and the old traffic light grand prix wasnt much fun, the power just wasnt there imo, which is fine when its wet and icy etc but when the summer comes your stuck with the lack of power ?!!!, now i just use decent throttle control and its all fine, not had a single issue TBH, and like the extra power that i decide if i use or not
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 01:16:04 pm by 182_blue »

Offline wigit

• Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
« Reply #189 on: January 07, 2009, 05:48:52 pm »
having never had a car remapped going throug pros and cons has been a struggle, apart from on here i read through a great thread on tyremsoke (not many worth reading) that a certain Red Robin alos contributed on was a great read on the differences between the various companies etc etc, got to be honest superchips been great with my enquiries on the roc, sent me their developments maps and been agreed to tell me when ready, think you have to define pros and cons as differences which suit tastes better

Offline SO8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #190 on: January 07, 2009, 06:51:06 pm »
i like the new more powerfull map

... and there can be no doubt it is more powerful  :laugh:

It goes in 2nd like it has a rocket up it's ar*e ..... when it can get traction  :grin:  Bring on the summer - who ordered this snow and ice :(

Offline garethmk1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #191 on: January 07, 2009, 10:37:22 pm »
Well guys, thought I'd provide you with an update.  I've done circa 150 miles with the remap - and strangely it seems to have settled in.  No more manic wheelspin, horrific torque steer etc.  As stated earlier, I use progressive throttle application and have now "learned" how to drive with the remap instead of trying to drive a standard 230bhp ED30.  The one thing I am having difficulty coping with is 2000rpm 6th gear acceleration of standard map, the way it used to just accelerate any gear any rpm, it was one of my favorite characteristics of the engine.  On checking all of the powerplots you have all kindly made available to me it shows that the I should be getting to equal or more torque post remap than the standard map between 0 - 2000rpm   Now, post remap, I find that I only really get good power over 4000rpm whent the car really does give a good shove of torque and seems to accelerate at an exponential rate.  Is this a characteristic that everyone else finds with the manual ED30 remap ?  I am however on the whole much happier with the remap and enjoing taking in acceleration comparable to the USS Enterprise !!  I do however feel that the remap has put some extra strain on the car and somehow the car feels "heavier" at the front end.  Am considering the Dog Bone Insert as suggested (will use up my JKM vouchers), and have been considering for some time pre remap to ease gear change and reduce exhaust strain, tramping and wheelspin.  I am just concerned tha as a visual mod that my local dealer may not be too happy with the idea of stiffening a bush, thus pontentially compromising the equilibrium in the suspension, breaking and steering systems and adding to wear and other problems for the associated components.

Secondly, the car seems much "smoother" in the mapping both under load and at idle, an annoying engine squeak on idle has disappeared post remap.

On a subsiduary note has anyone used the datalogging component of the Bluefin device, if so to what extent, was going to give it a go later on this evening - maybe the Bluefin data plots will show the difference between pre and post remap figures such as boost, A/F ratio etc.

Regards,

Gareth

Mk5 Golf GTi Edition 30 No:- 2101, 3Dr, Tornado Red, Rear Tints, RCD510 & Sound Pack, Arm Rest
Mk1 Golf GTi 16v Helios Blue, Too Many Mods To List .... MY First Car ! Owned Since 1996 !!! NEARLY READY !!!!!

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #192 on: January 07, 2009, 10:49:41 pm »
good to hear you feel a bit better  :happy2:

The dogbone insert is virtually invisible so i doubt very much a dealer would even notice (you could even go to the extent of using the original VW washer to hide it even more), Id just do it  :smiley:
All its doing is filling in some voids (holes) in the original mount.

regards the 2k shove I guess its just that what felt quick before just doesnt now lol
Car will still accelerate the same or better.
Mine hits peak boost by 2500 rpm btw
A remapped ED30 is very quick just using quick bursts 2-3500rpm.....yeehaaaa
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline garethmk1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #193 on: January 07, 2009, 10:56:04 pm »
That's interesting - peak boost at 2000rpm hmmm.... mine feels as if the boost threshold is much higher than that like I said 4000rpm ... is your car a DSG Johno ? Got me thinking now.

Regards,

Gareth

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #194 on: January 07, 2009, 11:00:17 pm »
manual and its APR not BF btw , prob diff characteristics
(on a side note its def worth getting a boost guage or logging your act vs req boost once remapped to keep an eye on that DV)
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD