Make a donation

Author Topic: *** All your bluefin/superchips questions and answers in here please.  (Read 121173 times)

Offline garethmk1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Re: Ordered Bluefin
« Reply #195 on: January 07, 2009, 11:04:23 pm »
Yes I'm aware of the dv issues and the requirment to check the actual v requested boost levels, unfortunately I don't have vag-com to check it at the moment.  To you guys out there with SC Bluefin ED30's who happen to have boost guages fitted, where is peak boost delivered, mine seems to give most power above 4000rpm, I understand that this could be due to valve timing etc and that peak boost could be achieved much below this level.

Regards,

Gareth

Mk5 Golf GTi Edition 30 No:- 2101, 3Dr, Tornado Red, Rear Tints, RCD510 & Sound Pack, Arm Rest
Mk1 Golf GTi 16v Helios Blue, Too Many Mods To List .... MY First Car ! Owned Since 1996 !!! NEARLY READY !!!!!

Offline garethmk1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #196 on: January 08, 2009, 10:57:12 am »
Torque arm insert ordered using free JKM Vouchers, that should help a little.  Secondly with regards to the datalogging features of blue fin - I spoke to Tech Support this morning, that function is only used by staff to ensure the car is performing well, I have forwarded them datalogging file, they will analyse and send back in graphical format - result.

Mk5 Golf GTi Edition 30 No:- 2101, 3Dr, Tornado Red, Rear Tints, RCD510 & Sound Pack, Arm Rest
Mk1 Golf GTi 16v Helios Blue, Too Many Mods To List .... MY First Car ! Owned Since 1996 !!! NEARLY READY !!!!!

Offline Greeners

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #197 on: January 08, 2009, 11:14:03 am »
Maybe the map is still in it's learning phase, as I like you have noticed a difference as the miles mount up. I was trying the low down torque out yesterday and agree it's not as tourqey (real word?) as it could be, but this seemed to be a characteristic of the stage 2 map from the 1st and was generally agreed this was Superchips way of increasing the top end to increase overall BHP. My car will still happily be slotted into 6th at 30mph with no grumbles and to add to that I find if I want to be economical the car responds and regularly give's me 33-34 on my commute.
Glad your getting used to it now Gareth  :happy2:

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #198 on: January 08, 2009, 06:07:49 pm »
Yes I'm aware of the dv issues and the requirment to check the actual v requested boost levels, unfortunately I don't have vag-com to check it at the moment.  To you guys out there with SC Bluefin ED30's who happen to have boost guages fitted, where is peak boost delivered, mine seems to give most power above 4000rpm, I understand that this could be due to valve timing etc and that peak boost could be achieved much below this level.

Regards,

Gareth

as far as im aware the dv issue has only been reported on mk5gti's ko3 ones.  not ed30's as the dv has been moved to a different location in the engine in the new cars and the ko4 versions.

To stop the problem occuring.

GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.

Offline garethmk1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #199 on: January 08, 2009, 11:56:27 pm »
Cheers James, wasn't aware it didn't affect the ED30's.  If that is the case why are people fitting the expensive Forge FMFSITVR - what benefit does that give over standard ?

Regards,

Gareth

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #200 on: January 09, 2009, 12:13:19 am »
The Forge one is a piston type affair and is faster acting and more efficient than the diaphram type. They also claim it hold on to the boost longer, but I doubt there is much in it.

It is a good solid performer and a preventative measure against diaphram wear/tear.

You also must remember that the Forge item needs lubricating every so often - it isn't a "fit and forget" part :nerd:
Golf R gone.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #201 on: January 09, 2009, 07:57:00 am »
[
i was under the impression they moved the DV to the front due to heat issues from the turbo. especially when running more boost. So if it is the same as the tfsi DV it will still have the weak diaphragm

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #202 on: January 09, 2009, 09:04:37 am »
the location was changed by VW, however the problem can effect cars with relocated valve (inc ED30) esp when remapped
(just relocation to avoid heat, does not seem to have resolved all its problems)

My personal opinion is to keep the OE until it fails, then consider a swap to Forge DV or a new OE part.
For me this is the biggest reason to log boost or fit a guage when the cars running well, so you can get a feel for normal boost over the rpm range(and conditions) which you can compare to when a problem rears its ugly head.

Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline CocoPops

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 11
    • Kennet Heath
    • Email
« Reply #203 on: January 09, 2009, 10:57:27 am »
As per the post above.

My car does feel like the peak boost is at 4k plus.

I really wanna get it dyno'd again to see whats what. Time is an issue at the moment tho :(
Used to Own: 2008 GTI Ed30 | ITG Intake | Miltek TBE System | Bluefin Stage 2 | 327bhp
On Order: 2017 Golf GTI Performance Pack 5dr DSG
Also own: 2016 Lotus Evora 400

Offline john_o

• Thank You
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #204 on: January 09, 2009, 01:59:43 pm »
check out SteveP thread here  http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=993.0
Its his original SC map against the new version.
I can see from the original torque curve it starts to rise again at 4k+ so that makes sense and corresponds to your comments.
I would expect the car to feel very different with the new map, and have an earlier peak rpm 'feel'

StevePG , how does your new SC map feel compared to the old? in terms of rpm peak feel?

Red ED35 5dr DSG
BLOG | BUILD

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #205 on: January 09, 2009, 02:07:04 pm »
^^^ TBH, since mine was re-worked at Superchips with the TBE I haven't really had chance to drive it properly  :sad:  It was off the road for a few days due to the tyre issues and for the last week it's been in for warranty work  :sad:

I hoping to get the today so will hopefully be able to give it a proper test  :smiley:

Edit - Dealer just called while typing this post to say it will be ready today but they have had to repaint the rear spoiler  :scared: :scared: :scared:

Offline john_o

• Thank You
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #206 on: January 10, 2009, 03:27:35 pm »
ooooo  thats not good is it Steve ! feel for you trusting your car to these muppets.
Let us know how the SC map drives when you get it back  :happy2:
Red ED35 5dr DSG
BLOG | BUILD

Offline garethmk1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #207 on: January 11, 2009, 06:47:23 pm »
Dear All,

Hmmmmm .... had a bit of a problem tonight ... putting the car through its paces - enging managment light began to flash when quite high up the rev range.  Backed off continued to flash for some 10 secs and then extinguished - any ideas ?  Will phone Super Chips tomorrow, don't know why that happened - I noticed that the rev limiter seems to be set slightly lower and the "cut" has changed ... am very very very concerned - a bit scared to give the car some - will try checking using the DTC function shortly when I get home.

Very worried Gareth  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #208 on: January 11, 2009, 06:51:11 pm »
 :scared:  scary stuff, yes get hold of SC in the morning, definatly was the engine Management light not the traction control light?? when my Tc cuts in when pressing on, mine completely cuts power for 2-3 seconds all the dam time, but dealer said thats normal :confused:

Offline john_o

• Thank You
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #209 on: January 11, 2009, 06:57:14 pm »
oh dear!
flashing CEL indicates a temporary (or long term condition) the ECU doesnt like.
It will flash and then go off , or if you get it a few times the light will prob stay lit until you clear the fault codes.

Get the codes downloaded before you push it again.
Although I wouldnt be too worried at this point, it could just be a coil pack not liking the remap lol.
Red ED35 5dr DSG
BLOG | BUILD