Make a donation

Author Topic: *** All your bluefin/superchips questions and answers in here please.  (Read 122908 times)

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
Re: Ordered Bluefin
« Reply #240 on: January 17, 2009, 08:12:00 pm »
I think the car if anything is smoother, not sure what you mean be "roughness".  Secondly, can I take it that you had a misfire problem also ?  What did Bluefin try to change in order to rectify the problem in your case ?

Regards,

Gareth

yeh, non of the bluefin maps i have had have been rough, and in that year there's been at least 2 new maps so things have changed a bit

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #241 on: January 17, 2009, 08:58:47 pm »
gareth, when its happened again was it the exact same cylinder misfires? and is it specific rpm or just a range ?

Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline garethmk1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #242 on: January 17, 2009, 09:05:18 pm »
Yeah 2 & 3 - I understand why 3 is mst likely to misfire as it has the longest inlet tract, but 2 is cosiderably shorter.  It happens anywhere after 6500rpm to limiter.

Suppose I'll have to try the revised map.

Mk5 Golf GTi Edition 30 No:- 2101, 3Dr, Tornado Red, Rear Tints, RCD510 & Sound Pack, Arm Rest
Mk1 Golf GTi 16v Helios Blue, Too Many Mods To List .... MY First Car ! Owned Since 1996 !!! NEARLY READY !!!!!

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #243 on: January 17, 2009, 09:51:54 pm »
^^^ Like Shaun said Gareth if it's at all possible I would get down to see them in person.

When I was down there with Greenouse on Friday another guy came into see them who had a issue loading his map via the bluefin handset (wasn't a Golf) but their customer service was excellent and he left 30 mins later with the map loaded and a free dyno run completed to confirm everything was running fine.

Likewise for both me a Nathan on Friday they took time to check on our cars on the dyno and showed/explained details of all the ignition timing and fueling reading.

They then also completed some VAG COM logging on test drives to ensure everything else was running correctly.

They also said they wanted to do some further development on the modified map they also want to offer where the throttle response in 1st and 2nd Gears is adjusted to make the map a bit more drivable for the heavy right footed owners  :driver:

(We will be doing a little write-up of our DSG vs. Manual comparison session in the next couple of days)

Offline garethmk1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #244 on: January 17, 2009, 10:20:12 pm »
Yes I did think about that - I've spoken to them 4-5 times now and they have yet to offer - I think they are going to try to exhaust all possibilities before offering.  I think that could possibly cure the problem - there is nothing like live data logging.  Interesting you say about 1st and 2nd, I don't seem to get any traction issues in those gears at least in the dry (wet is a different story !), the torque delivered in 3rd,4th,5th and 6th seems to appear at about 2500 - 3000 rpm, however in 2nd gear that torque is absent until 5000rpm, wonder if the map I'm running could be this "improved traction" map.  I suppose I'll think I'll have to at least give this new map awaiting download a go and take it from there.  It's just that Milton Keynes from South Wales is quite some way, especially if they are unable to rectify the problem and or need more time to investigate, potentially time without my car etc etc.

Regards,

Gareth

Mk5 Golf GTi Edition 30 No:- 2101, 3Dr, Tornado Red, Rear Tints, RCD510 & Sound Pack, Arm Rest
Mk1 Golf GTi 16v Helios Blue, Too Many Mods To List .... MY First Car ! Owned Since 1996 !!! NEARLY READY !!!!!

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #245 on: January 17, 2009, 10:24:53 pm »
Based on what you say about the the torque coming in at 5K sounds like the existing modified 1st and 2nd map they tested on Nathan's ED30 Manual on Friday and they where not happy with the results.

They said exactly like you the power didn't come in until 5K and all in one lump which isn't ideal, so I would defiantly get the new map on there and give it a try.

The live logging is the best tool for them to properly diagnose the problem.  :happy2:
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 10:46:18 pm by SteveP »

Offline fastismycopilot

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #246 on: January 17, 2009, 10:25:43 pm »

yeh, non of the bluefin maps i have had have been rough, and in that year there's been at least 2 new maps so things have changed a bit

Exactly, that's the point I was trying to make. I had an early map with issues, there seem to be few now and those that there are get sorted. And get sorted with excellent customer service. I just didn't feel the cost/benefit payoff was there for me at the time, maybe a future purchase though. I'd go for Revo rather than Superchips as that's the brand my 'preferred' tuner deals with.  :wink:

Edition 30 No. 0536

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #247 on: January 17, 2009, 10:45:11 pm »
Gareth, my peak torque is at around 3750rpm so I rarely feel the need to go anywhere near the rev limiter.  :smiley:

Offline garethmk1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #248 on: January 17, 2009, 11:05:39 pm »
Yes I get excellent torque at that rpm level also, but it just feels so hapy all the way up the range that I just can't help myself  :evilgrin:. Besides, it just shouldn't misfire anyway. Do you never take your car to the line Greenouse ? I drive my car extremely conservativly in the main - I achieve 34 - 37mpg on my daily commute, but when I feel the need ....

Regards,

Gareth

Offline john_o

• Thank You
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #249 on: January 17, 2009, 11:07:39 pm »
going to SC would be a good option but I can see why you wont at the moment.
Its very easy to swap a coil pack for 2 or 3 , so might be worth a try just to rule that out?
Red ED35 5dr DSG
BLOG | BUILD

Offline garethmk1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #250 on: January 17, 2009, 11:09:32 pm »
Yeah I have thought about that, but apparently the coil pack failure seems to be limited to the AAX 200PS TFSI ?

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #251 on: January 17, 2009, 11:09:53 pm »
Put it this way I've never felt the rev limiter kick in! I've really never felt the need to spank it that far up the rev range  :wink: Im not saying I won't and to be honest Im intrigued as to whether I will get a misfire or not  :confused:

Offline garethmk1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #252 on: January 17, 2009, 11:12:13 pm »
Put it this way I've never felt the rev limiter kick in! I've really never felt the need to spank it that far up the rev range  :wink: Im not saying I won't and to be honest Im intrigued as to whether I will get a misfire or not  :confused:

Fair enough, like I said 95% of the time I drive extremly conservative to the letter of the law.  Completly understandable if you don't want to spank the car !

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #253 on: January 17, 2009, 11:14:14 pm »

Fair enough, like I said 95% of the time I drive extremly conservative to the letter of the law.  Completly understandable if you don't want to spank the car !

If someone pi$$es me off then they'll get what they deserve, but like yourself I take it easy most of the time. I cringe when I get the car dyno'd  :chicken:

Offline john_o

• Thank You
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #254 on: January 17, 2009, 11:22:36 pm »
revving the car up to limiter isnt needed on a mapped an ED30, but I do do it esp under wheelspin conditions.
However at Santa Pod I wont be going anywhere near the limiter as its slower......
coilpack failure isnt limited to any revision AFAIK, but I agree its prob not your issue but at least youd have ruled it out.

Red ED35 5dr DSG
BLOG | BUILD