Make a donation

Author Topic: *** All your bluefin/superchips questions and answers in here please.  (Read 120780 times)

Offline SteveP

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
Re: Superchips ED30 / DSG Remaps
« Reply #90 on: December 24, 2008, 01:21:03 pm »
^^^ I am sure if you ask them they might be able make the previous version of the map available, but TBH the new one isn't that aggressive, it is still very smooth but pulls much stronger through the gears  :evilgrin:

Also the new map and Milltek I am getting better fuel economy on the motorway runs (not so on the A roads though  :xmaslaugh:).

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
    • My Project
« Reply #91 on: December 24, 2008, 01:25:41 pm »
Luke, first thing they said to me was I'd be limited by the pump... so I think they are aware, did you ask or just expect them to tell you?

I've had both on various cars and I rate them both highly. You'll be fine with whichever you choose.

I agree with Mike, they are well aware of the stock fuel pump limitations, when speaking to their Technical Director yesterday he mentioned it to me.

I would also agree you can't really go too far wrong with either SC or Revo  :happy2:

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #92 on: December 24, 2008, 01:59:50 pm »
good to see you on the forum superchips,

thanks for the new stage 2 map, had a good long drive to test it out today and am very pleased with performance, alot more pull in all the gears and no dull patch when you change up a gear with the old one which was no doubt the torque limiter...

seem similar to the very first map you sent me back in march when i first purchased stage1 from you.?

any how if i get an up-rated fuel pump and intake can i come to you for stage 2+ will happily be a guinea pig  :xmassmiley:
 :santa:

GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #93 on: December 24, 2008, 02:16:56 pm »
good to see you on the forum superchips,

thanks for the new stage 2 map, had a good long drive to test it out today and am very pleased with performance, alot more pull in all the gears and no dull patch when you change up a gear with the old one which was no doubt the torque limiter...

seem similar to the very first map you sent me back in march when i first purchased stage1 from you.?

any how if i get an up-rated fuel pump and intake can i come to you for stage 2+ will happily be a guinea pig  :xmassmiley:
 :santa:

yeh it does to me too, if not with a tad more power top end, i guess this is what they have done (i.e achieved decent low down power with a good top end too)

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #94 on: December 24, 2008, 02:55:52 pm »
Lastly a note on Superchips' forum policy. Our staff are not generally permitted to enter into online debate as we believe a forum is for enthusiasts to enjoy and discuss opinions openly without influence of those with self promotion or commercial intersts at heart. We will always answer PM's or emails and obviously telephone enquiries with pleasure.

Jamie Turvey, Technical Director. Superchips Ltd

....Welcome to the forum, Jamie :happy2:

Your policy is very much respected as a good one.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #95 on: December 24, 2008, 02:57:45 pm »
S word ?, oh also do you work on VW Racing cars ?

....They do.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #96 on: December 24, 2008, 03:04:56 pm »
Up until recently we had a different remap for ED30 with DSG gearboxes. This was primarily not to protect the gearbox but to avoid the torque limit which would ultimately limit top end power also. We have now altered this limit so we can run the same power and torque on manual and DSG cars.

....Jamie - Am I right in thinking that it's high levels of torque rather than bhp which potentially can damage/overstress the DSG box of tricks?

Please do understand that in asking this question I'm not trying to shoot down what Superchips do but I am just genuinely curious and concerned as my car is DSG (Revo'd but I agree wholeheartedly that both Revo and SC are as good as each other in their current forms).

:happy2:

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #97 on: December 24, 2008, 03:46:21 pm »
didn't  stevep get to get to have a go on the racingline (aka vwr) golf while at superchips.... or was it just there by some coincidence.
GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #98 on: December 24, 2008, 03:49:28 pm »
didn't  stevep get to get to have a go on the racingline (aka vwr) golf while at superchips.... or was it just there by some coincidence.

....He did - Further proof if any is needed. VWR's cars are regularly at Superchips for whatever mapping they feel appropriate.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #99 on: December 24, 2008, 05:32:34 pm »
Up until recently we had a different remap for ED30 with DSG gearboxes. This was primarily not to protect the gearbox but to avoid the torque limit which would ultimately limit top end power also. We have now altered this limit so we can run the same power and torque on manual and DSG cars.

....Jamie - Am I right in thinking that it's high levels of torque rather than bhp which potentially can damage/overstress the DSG box of tricks?

^^^^
In answer to my question about the potential for overstressing the DSG with too much torque, Jamie tells me : -

"We have done extensive testing on race sprung slick tyred track cars and the DSG does not go bang at the "rated" 350Nm, we have had over 440Nm on the Dyno but that just spins like crazy on the road. The track cars (made by VWR) are regularly driven hard and it is on this basis we have decided to up our game and offer higher torque. It can be hard to power test a DSG as full load=kickdown and that makes a mess of a power curve. We are comparing a manual and DSG on the dyno in January and also comparing drivability as the drive is very different, DSG=kickdown, shift- go. Manual=wheelspin into the rev limit."

I hope this helps anyone else interested in the answer to my question.

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
    • My Project
« Reply #100 on: December 24, 2008, 05:34:48 pm »
^^^ Nice one Robin thanks for posting this up, I wonder who the Manual vs. DSG on the Dyno in January might involve  :wink:  :xmaslaugh:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #101 on: December 24, 2008, 07:16:23 pm »

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
    • My Project
« Reply #102 on: December 24, 2008, 08:04:07 pm »
^^^  :signLOL:  :signLOL:

I think know my quest for power end's here but the mission to control and better use what I now have has only just begun  :driver:

PS - No referrences to a certain ATB Diff needed here Mr RedRobin   :xmaslaugh: :xmaslaugh:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #103 on: December 24, 2008, 08:19:42 pm »
^^^^

No references needed :wink: - You already know where! It's just a matter of when!! You know you want to!

Are you still running on standard brakes? :evilgrin:

I think know my quest for power end's here but the mission to control and better use what I now have has only just begun

....^^ Your words sound uncannily similar to those of Hurdy! :evilgrin:

You know, it's absolutely fatal to come on these car forums, Steve! - The Slippery Slope :evilgrin:
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 08:24:14 pm by RedRobin »

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: December 24, 2008, 08:52:46 pm »
^^^ Nice one Robin thanks for posting this up, I wonder who the Manual vs. DSG on the Dyno in January might involve  :wink:  :xmaslaugh:

I wonder indeed  :wink: :santa: