Make a donation

Author Topic: Misfire Issue - Resolved  (Read 2806 times)

Offline iian

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Misfire Issue - Resolved
« on: July 01, 2016, 09:34:54 pm »
Hi Folks,

Just firing up a thread on the issue I had in case it happens to anyone else. I dug around online, but couldn't find anyone with these exact symptoms. Many similar, none the exact same.

Basically the car was misfiring on full throttle between 3-5k revs. Started intermittently, then between 4-5k, then worsening to 3-5k revs. Full throttle only, and was fine above or below those revs. I had replaced 2 coilpacks before to solve misfiring, however those cases were full failure and the car constantly running off a cylinder, so I had kind of ruled out it being another coilpack issue.

A few runs of live testing on the road, all other potential sources looked fine. Getting fuel fine, getting air fine. We then went and borrowed 4 R8 coilpacks from a another MK6 GTI. Problem solved. The 2 coilpacks I'd got from VW to solve the earlier issues were different part numbers to the existing 2, so we thought they must have played around with resistances or some crap. So 4 R8 coilpacks later (and 6 in total  :sad1: ) and the car's driving perfect.

Hope this helps someone.
Thanks,
Ian

Offline th3_f15t

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
Re: Misfire Issue - Resolved
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 08:05:18 am »
Cheers for the write up, always good to have extra information in the bank. Did you replace the spark plugs at the same time?

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline s3dubbin

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 12:27:33 pm »
I have a misfire on my s3 8p. My r8 coilpacks arrive today. They are 50k old so hoping all is sorted tonight.

Cheers, Stevie.

Offline gttdigoof

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • bf1systems
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,104209.0.html
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 02:37:30 pm »
If the coil packs dont work, use vcds, measuring blocks 15 & 16, that should tell you which cylinder its on

I swapped the plugs and coil packs and still had the misfire. Currently have my injectors being serviced at Mr Injector

Mk6 R :)