Make a donation

Author Topic: Brake squeal when not using the brakes  (Read 2155 times)

Offline fliprio

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Brake squeal when not using the brakes
« on: July 03, 2016, 01:37:50 pm »
Afternoon all,

It’s one of those strange noise threads again!

While driving along without touching the brakes I get what sounds like some brake squeal which chirps for a couple of seconds and goes away.  Generally a slight turn to the right or left can make it more happen more often.

Upon first inspection the rear nearside wheel was quite warm, stripping the rear brakes showed a sticking handbrake mechanism, replaced the caliper and the rear brake is now free but still the noise!

It doesn’t seem to do it on the motorway but does do it at 50-60 or lower speeds, but im thinking its usually within a few minutes of using the brakes and does get worse when you have used the brakes for lots of stop start traffic lights.

Has anyone else had squealing brakes when you’re not actually using the brakes?  I’m thinking it’s a sticky front caliper.

Does anyone know where a reasonable priced front caliper service kit can be obtained for the Mk5 Gti  as it seems ECP or GFS don’t list them.

Cheers
Dan

Offline Johnsy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 7
Re: Brake squeal when not using the brakes
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 02:27:19 pm »
Have you tried giving them a good jetwash? It's usually brake dust that causes squealing

Offline fliprio

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 04:24:03 pm »
Have you tried giving them a good jetwash? It's usually brake dust that causes squealing

I have taken the pads out and given it a good clean, not sure why it would cause them to squeal just driving along when not applying the brakes

they do squeal a bit when coming to a dead stop sometimes, but it seems to be a bit of a trait with these cars

Offline fliprio

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 07:21:50 pm »
no one else had something similar before?

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 07:26:58 pm »
Sticky calipers are sometimes the cause. mine squeak at times of braking, whist slowing but not hard braking.
Mine is a DSG so always on the brakes  :signLOL: