Make a donation

Author Topic: BEST BRAKE SETUP FOR STG 1 PIRELLI  (Read 1572 times)

Offline 993BOY

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 1
BEST BRAKE SETUP FOR STG 1 PIRELLI
« on: July 05, 2016, 03:36:39 pm »
Just done the stg 1 Bluefin re-map and am very impressed with the relative ease of upping the power by a substantial margin :happy2:

My calipers are looking a bit scruffy and the cheap discs that the previous owner recently fitted are rusting badly and look cr@p with my refurbed wheels  :sick:

I don't intend to up the power any more, as I feel the front wheels are struggling as it is! but would like to consider some nice looking better brakes and calipers without spending a few K on them.

Just wondered what is out there for 500 - 700 quid that will smarten the appearance and give me brakes that are a bit better? I love Brembo, but think that my budget won't stretch!!

Also, what pads can I fit that work relatively well, but don't dump a load of dust on the wheels every time I brake??

Your thoughts would be much appreciated?

Offline Paradox1

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 82
    • Email
Re: BEST BRAKE SETUP FOR STG 1 PIRELLI
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 05:04:01 pm »
Have a look at Mike TFSI thread on the Porsche 996 calipers. I think the disk size is 330mm. the calipers are 4pots and supposed to have a good review. well worth a read

Offline flashp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 05:39:58 pm »
These were my wheels with S3 brakes behind them. Heavy, but worked well for the road. Had no complaints regarding stopping power or the weight and the effect on dynamics.

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline flashp

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 06:45:57 pm »
The rears are S3 also as they're vented. Still have these on the car.
The fronts need the brackets from the donor car and hoses. Other than that they bolt straight on.

Offline flashp

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 11:39:46 pm »
Yes, caliper to hub.  :happy2:

Offline unzippy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 10:19:36 am »
I have a AMD stage one with standard calipers, discs and yellow stuff pads.  No problems what so ever on the road.

Offline Paradox1

• Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 82
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 10:59:14 am »
No offence, but the stock 312mm don't fill me with much confidence and I'm not even mapped yet lol

in the beginning they feel sharp, but they soon lose the sharp biting point after a few bends. I guess it all depends on the persons driving style. if you drive hard, and/or do track days then I think r32 setup with uprated fluid, pads and disks minimum

Offline flashp

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 05:55:44 pm »
No offence, but the stock 312mm don't fill me with much confidence and I'm not even mapped yet lol

in the beginning they feel sharp, but they soon lose the sharp biting point after a few bends. I guess it all depends on the persons driving style. if you drive hard, and/or do track days then I think r32 setup with uprated fluid, pads and disks minimum
This. On track the standard brakes are out of their depth almost immediately. You wait for the ABS to stop the car approximately where you'd like to finish up.
Granted you may not track your car but with this kind of power the brakes capability should never be so easily exceeded no matter what you do with the car.