Make a donation

Author Topic: Pirelli & ED 30's - how many chipped?  (Read 2707 times)

Offline 993BOY

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 1
Pirelli & ED 30's - how many chipped?
« on: July 03, 2016, 07:45:11 pm »
Got myself a great Pirelli 3dr in silver, very pleased and have just had the wheels refurbished....that's another story!!

Just done a Bluefin stage 1 re-map with very impressive results, changed the air filter and found a K&N already in there!

I was just wondering whether everyone re-maps their Pirelli's and ED30's?

The guy I bought it from never mentioned that he had, but it has just had a new clutch at 54K!, so got me thinking that maybe it had previously been running a map?

What's your thoughts??

Offline bigeyd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 31
Re: Pirelli & ED 30's - how many chipped?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 07:48:59 pm »
I would say it has,the clutches are made of chocolate when mapped,never heard of a Friday afternoon clutch.
Mapping sends it to another level power wish but also shows the brakes (and clutch) to be woeful after it.

Offline Madone

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 08:52:53 pm »
Don't go away from stock clutch unless you are going big power, stock clutch is fine for stage 1, stage 2 if you don't drag it, and I am on a stock clutch on stage 2+ edition 30, works perfectly well, I doubt it would last too long with loads of traffic light GP starts, but I don't do anything silly and have done 6k on it. When it does go will likely go uprated, as I plan more power at some point.

Stick to stock, much better to drive than the updated versions.

Offline Madone

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 09:45:45 am »
Def don't worry at stage 1 !, at stage 2+ I give it max in the higher gears all the time, just don't drag from trying to get 0-60 times.

My tuner said the standard clutch has good bite providing you are sensible they are ok. It will obviously give up quickly once it starts to slip but, again, just be sensible.

I am not keen to go updated if I don't have to due to the increased pedal force, feel etc. Plus if I choose to sell the car all the bits I have don't are much simpler to revert to stock than changing a clutch !. Anyone buying a stock GTI won't like the feel of a updated clutch.

Offline Wash

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 10:08:28 pm »
My car was mapped by Rtech at 330bhp and 300lbft on the stock clutch. Clutch was fine to drive on but it was a low mileage clutch, changed to a helix organic clutch now and the old clutch was a bit worse for wear when it came out. That was on a low mileage clutch which had probably only covered maybe 30k miles too.
I would question how long a stock clutch would last at k04 stage 2+, that's 360lbft+ and I don't think a stock clutch could ever cope with that much torque?

Offline Golfgirl

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 23
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 11:35:47 am »
My standard clutch lasted about 90,000 miles on stage 1 before it needed to be replaced.

FOR SALE!

Offline flashp

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 05:52:29 pm »
Got myself a great Pirelli 3dr in silver, very pleased and have just had the wheels refurbished....that's another story!!

Just done a Bluefin stage 1 re-map with very impressive results, changed the air filter and found a K&N already in there!

The guy I bought it from never mentioned that he had, but it has just had a new clutch at 54K!, so got me thinking that maybe it had previously been running a map?

What's your thoughts??
Yes, stage 2 on my 3 door Pirelli DSG and mapped gearbox. Absolutely love it still...

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline flashp

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 06:43:09 pm »
Traction is superb, LSD helps get power down without spinning up the lightly loaded wheel.
Brakes are a bit OTT to be honest, 6 piston isn't essential but I wanted some that would have wide appeal come re-sale time if they're not staying on the car when one day it's sold.
Can't imagine what I'd buy to be honest so that day is a long way off!

Offline grey golfster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edition 30 # 993; Stage 2 n a bit....
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 07:16:50 pm »

What's your thoughts??

You'd be daft not to map your Eddy (or Pirelli I guess) to at least stage 1...the gains are so worthwhile for comparatively little cash spend; it's soooo easy too!

Offline flashp

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2016, 11:49:24 pm »
Guess that is why mine hops and skips a bit without the LSD!!

Seems you have a great setup there and a well sorted car  :smiley:

I'll try to get some S3 brakes for mine, e-bay here we come!!
Wheel hop is caused by sudden changes in geometry, namely toe angle. An anti-lift kit with it's up-rated bush will go some way to helping with this. There are huge changes under hard acceleration and even braking. Poor grip from tyres promotes this and I personally believe that the very soft bushing in the engine mounts has something to do with it as it makes a pendulum out of the engine. When traction is lost and regained the engines moves backwards and forwards quite violently and the load is taken off the drive train and then loaded back up when grip is found.
Worn or damaged dampers and springs won't help either.

Offline grey golfster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edition 30 # 993; Stage 2 n a bit....
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 05:32:39 pm »
yes - you'll want the ALK, polybush the front (at least), and mounts....I did mine at Stg 1; all weel worth it.
Would probably do the WALK before the stg 1 if doing it again?

here we go!!!