Make a donation

Author Topic: DSG Kangaoo-ing in 2nd gear  (Read 3867 times)

Offline S19MDE

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
DSG Kangaoo-ing in 2nd gear
« on: July 07, 2016, 06:16:32 pm »
Hi all,

First post and unfortunately a bad one! I bought my 58 GTI last week from a dealer down in Epping, great car and perfect spec for what I wanted, but I fear it may have the dreaded faulty mechatronics.

The car drives fine in every gear, inc. reverse, apart from when I'm crawling in traffic in second gear after a while. If I crawl, the car is fine, if I plant it the car is also fine, but if I gently press the acc. pedal, the car jerks. I've posted a video below:

Before I bought the car, it had the dual wet clutch changed and new oil and filter. My concern is that they have had this done thinking this would solve the problem, but what it really needs is a new mechatronics unit. I do have VAGCOM, so will do a reset but not sure if this will fix the issue?

I have RAC Gold warranty with the car but this also only covers up to £500. Any advice would greatly up, it's a car I've always wanted to own and I don't want to have bought a lemon!

Offline LondonGT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 5
Re: DSG Kangaoo-ing in 2nd gear
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 09:23:26 pm »
I had exactly the same issue albeit in 2011 and with a VW dealer.

Take it back and ask them to fix it or give you your money back. Get clued up with citizen's advice.

With mine I took it back and they fixed it after a massive row on a Saturday with me making a scene...£1,500 bill.

Offline 99hagued

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 23
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 11:55:03 pm »
My dsg is jerky when in 2nd gear in slow moving traffic, I put it in manual and drop down to 1st gear

Offline fliprio

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 09:43:16 am »
I had something similar in mine, in drive mode D the box loves to keep it in 2nd when crawling in traffic and slip the clutch, this brings the box oil temperature up and can start to give issues if something isnt quite right with the mechatronics.  They replaced the clutch plates on mine which made it a bit better for 6 months and then it got worse again and in the end they just replaced the whole gearbox as it also had a bit of a 2nd gear bearing noise.  With the new box it was great to finally find out what they are meant to feel like, it shouldn't once up to temperature jerk or grab at all and be nice and smooth at all times.

When on the diagnostics, everything was 'within parameters' and they couldn't find anything wrong with it, but clearly in traffic it was horrible and jerky so dont let VW tell you its fine when the driving experience says it isnt.

I now keep mine in Sport mode when it stop start traffic, it keeps it in 1st and doesn't do the 2nd gear clutch slip thing.

Offline LondonGT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 02:49:01 pm »
It will get worse. Look on detailingworld - there's my thread on there for this same issue, will show you what to do and the recall for the USA