Make a donation

Author Topic: Show me your boost gauges!  (Read 13396 times)

Offline MateyGuv

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 67
  • Instagram & YouTube - mateyguv
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,69555.0.html
Re: Show me your boost gauges!
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2016, 06:58:59 pm »
@AJP that dash pod does look stuck on and not my taste but could be used as a base to attach the top of the VW part on. Everything else is already done so easier to do.
The easiest way to have a display as you suggest is to bin the RNS (I don't think that can be made to display anything other than it already does) and install an iPad. These guys - https://instagram.com/p/BGP9O__lcYT/ do excellent work and have done many installs with iPads. Get a blue tooth OBD2 scanner and a suitable app then have all the info displayed on the screen as well as nav, iTunes, angry birds etc. I think the app a lot of people use is called torque pro but not 100%. Info won't go through the MFD though to my knowledge

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2016, 07:16:08 pm »
@AJP that dash pod does look stuck on and not my taste but could be used as a base to attach the top of the VW part on. Everything else is already done so easier to do.
The easiest way to have a display as you suggest is to bin the RNS (I don't think that can be made to display anything other than it already does) and install an iPad. These guys - https://instagram.com/p/BGP9O__lcYT/ do excellent work and have done many installs with iPads. Get a blue tooth OBD2 scanner and a suitable app then have all the info displayed on the screen as well as nav, iTunes, angry birds etc. I think the app a lot of people use is called torque pro but not 100%. Info won't go through the MFD though to my knowledge
You've got my brain ticking away with that idea. Certainly an alternative to Polar FIS if there's an app that displays the same data as accurately. And moreso for me, I'm looking to upgrade the headunit at some point. Two birds one stone. I'd guess that for someone who already has an RNS510 or decent HU the better option is Polar, and a traditional boost gauge if needed. But for me... I really like the idea.

Regarding Polar, I do have Highline, but no multifunction wheel, so if I was to go for Polar FIS instead for whatever reason would I still have full access to its functions? Either way, the option you suggested with the ipad sounds better - for my needs at least. I actually saw a few screenshots of the Torque Pro display when I was googling things earlier. Looks decent.

If an ipad also functions well with a decent speaker/amp/sub setup it could be a winner. As much as I like the idea of gauges on the screen, I still like my tunes, and sound quality. Maybe if the ipad outputs to a processor before the amp that could work.

Hmmmm. Lots of research ensues. Need to sort out some greasy nuts and bolts before I get that far though. I've no choice but to make this a long term project!

Offline MateyGuv

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2016, 07:58:04 pm »
@AJP from what I understand the iPad sits in front and is connected to a processor that goes into the amp(s) the iPad can output digital signal so sound quality is way better than OEM. This, of course, will depend on the rest of the hardware you use in your install  :happy2:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2016, 08:01:53 pm »
@AJP from what I understand the iPad sits in front and is connected to a processor that goes into the amp(s) the iPad can output digital signal so sound quality is way better than OEM. This, of course, will depend on the rest of the hardware you use in your install  :happy2:
You're helping me spend money I don't have yet

Offline MateyGuv

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2016, 08:06:44 pm »
I'm very good at doing that to myself  :grin: What I want to do to my car V what it'll cost is plain stupid!!

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2016, 08:20:13 pm »
I'm very good at doing that to myself  :grin: What I want to do to my car V what it'll cost is plain stupid!!
Exactly mate! But I suppose that's where the fun is, at least going some way towards upgrading things in the direction you like, and learning loads in the process.

I actually think doing things on a real world budget and timescale makes a project miles more rewarding. You see these 'chequebook cars' that have 20k spent on them within a month of them leaving the factory, no doubt getting all the cred at shows etc, but I'd bet a good proportion of those are owned by people who don't really know exactly how/what/why their car has been modified in the way it has. Like the Plush Automotive cars. Don't get me wrong, Luke himself is incredibly skilled and his work is amazing, but I just get the feeling a few of his customers roll up with the latest VAG and a big credit card and ask for "slammed and ice" and they drive around feeling cool as.

I used to drive around to alloy fabricators getting spacers milled by 2mm and spring shims made up so I could get my old mk4 up in the air and get the stance millimetre-perfect, by myself. That's what it's all about for me!

Anyway, I'm rambling. I'll have a good read up on the ipad thing. Cheers again for the info mate

Offline Madone

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2016, 08:27:15 pm »
You've got my brain ticking away with that idea. Certainly an alternative to Polar FIS if there's an app that displays the same data as accurately. And moreso for me, I'm looking to upgrade the headunit at some point. Two birds one stone. I'd guess that for someone who already has an RNS510 or decent HU the better option is Polar, and a traditional boost gauge if needed. But for me... I really like the idea.

Regarding Polar, I do have Highline, but no multifunction wheel, so if I was to go for Polar FIS instead for whatever reason would I still have full access to its functions? Either way, the option you suggested with the ipad sounds better - for my needs at least. I actually saw a few screenshots of the Torque Pro display when I was googling things earlier. Looks decent.

If an ipad also functions well with a decent speaker/amp/sub setup it could be a winner. As much as I like the idea of gauges on the screen, I still like my tunes, and sound quality. Maybe if the ipad outputs to a processor before the amp that could work.

Hmmmm. Lots of research ensues. Need to sort out some greasy nuts and bolts before I get that far though. I've no choice but to make this a long term project!

You can buy a android based head unit and use a Bluetooth obd2 dongle, then install one of the android obd reader apps that display boost etc. Plenty of options available. Someone on here has that working. Any android head unit will work.

Offline dom069

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 17
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2016, 09:24:26 am »
Here's my Newsouth with aluminium bezel:

BC Racing Coilovers : R32 Rear Bumper : Milltek Cat Back : R32 Rear Lights : S3 Brakes : Colour Coded Side Skirts : US Grill : 18" BBS CH : De-Wipered : Bluefin Remap : Pipercross Filter : S3 Short Shifter : Powerflex Wishbone Bushes : MK6 Steering Wheel : RCD510