Make a donation

Author Topic: Need a new mechatronics :-(  (Read 9208 times)

Offline sub39h

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
Need a new mechatronics :-(
« on: July 24, 2016, 02:24:08 am »
Hi guys,

My mechatronics unit has failed and is apparently not repairable. Alex has quoted me over £1600 for a replacement which in my opinion would make the car beyond economical repair. :sick: I have found another supplier online who has quoted me £1310, and is going to message me on Monday to see if he can give me a discount. Even this is not worth it I feel.

Does anyone have any advice or experience on this? Where did you buy your replacement from?

Thanks for your help
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 02:26:42 am by sub39h »
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
Re: Need a new mechatronics :-(
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 04:50:45 am »
Do a search on here, a couple of places have been mentioned for dsg work.
One in Bath and the other in Midlands Nottingham maybe?
Anyhow both have good feedback.
Good luck, must be worth saving I'd have thought......

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 06:50:01 am »
I've contacted the chaps in Nottingham. Waiting for a reply. Is is Bristol or bath because I've contacted someone else in Bristol.

Alex and I both thought it was the clutch packs and they were replaced before the mechatronics started playing silly buggers. If I get the mechatronics replaced it means I'll have paid £2.5k for gearbox repairs on a car worth £5k tops. I don't think it's worth it. Rather put that money towards a new car.
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 02:28:41 pm »

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 02:37:18 pm »
Bristol mate another member has used them and they're the nutts   :happy2:

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 02:40:25 pm »
I've contacted the chaps in Nottingham. Waiting for a reply. Is is Bristol or bath because I've contacted someone else in Bristol.

Alex and I both thought it was the clutch packs and they were replaced before the mechatronics started playing silly buggers. If I get the mechatronics replaced it means I'll have paid £2.5k for gearbox repairs on a car worth £5k tops. I don't think it's worth it. Rather put that money towards a new car.
Never go clutch packs first as the mechatronic unit is a common cause NOT the clutch pack as you have sadly learnt at a cost of a new one.

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 04:13:52 pm »

Never go clutch packs first as the mechatronic unit is a common cause NOT the clutch pack as you have sadly learnt at a cost of a new one.

I thought the same thing, but Alex was certain it was the clutch packs as he'd had another car with very similar symptoms and a clutch pack replacement fixed it. I suggested getting the mechatronics tested first but he said that then if it came back ok we'd need to change the fluid twice wasting money. I don't hold it against him as 99% of the time he's bang on with his diagnoses, and I was certain it was the clutches too.

I'll just need to wait to see what prices the chaps from Nottingham and Bristol come back with, then I'll take it from there.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 04:39:46 pm »
Speak to Stattlers. They had a DSG box knocking around last year... might still be there.

What symptoms are you getting?

Offline mk1mad

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 04:44:29 pm »
Whilst looking around for another option to sort out my jerky when hot DSG I found this company. I have not spoken to them yet  but may be worth a call.

http://www.valvebodyuk.co.uk/
Edition 30
Golf Mk1 5vT

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 04:51:30 pm »
Speak to Stattlers. They had a DSG box knocking around last year... might still be there.

What symptoms are you getting?

Surging in the revs at certain parts of the rev range in even gears only and under partial load, and only when the gearbox was warm. Sometimes the gear changes between 1 and 2 and 2 and 3 were quite harsh as well.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 01:40:58 am by sub39h »

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2016, 06:15:36 pm »

I thought the same thing, but Alex was certain it was the clutch packs as he'd had another car with very similar symptoms and a clutch pack replacement fixed it. I suggested getting the mechatronics tested first but he said that then if it came back ok we'd need to change the fluid twice wasting money. I don't hold it against him as 99% of the time he's bang on with his diagnoses, and I was certain it was the clutches too.

I'll just need to wait to see what prices the chaps from Nottingham and Bristol come back with, then I'll take it from there.
A little upsetting to have read this as I would of had the mech checked out first rather than guess work forking out that much for no reason imo  :sad1: no disrespect to anyone.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 06:28:39 pm by r5gtt »

Offline akbarirfan

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 81
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2016, 01:06:32 pm »
Bristol Gearbox Centre is who I used, really liked their workmanship. Hope it all gets sorted.

Offline Spankiee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2016, 01:31:58 pm »
im so glad my edition 30 is manual when i hear things like this. hope you get it sorted  :happy2:
candy white edition 30

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309

Offline brinks787

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2016, 11:13:11 pm »
I'd recommend Bristol Gearbox Centre too, mine is running silky smooth since they did the mech valve body for me.

Great bunch of guys and very professional.