Make a donation

Author Topic: Mk5 aircon only works intermittently  (Read 3391 times)

Offline BristolBoy

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
Mk5 aircon only works intermittently
« on: July 24, 2016, 02:18:50 pm »
Hi everyone.  A month or so ago I had the aircon compressor and condensor on my 2005 Mk5 replaced by my trusted local garage.  Everything was OK - aircon nice and icy cold again.  However, now the aircon is working properly (probably for the first time in a year or more!!) I notice that occasionally the vents stop blowing cold air.  I can turn up the fan to max, and it's definitely blowing a gale somewhere - but not out of the vents.  For example, on a recent 2 hour+ journey in the blazing hot weather we've been having, we had icy cold aircon for the first hour - then the vents stopped working for an hour (fan blowing at max, but not out of vents) - then the rest of the journey with icy cold air again.

Coincidentally, one of the 2 LCD aircon indicators (the one's that say "LO - 16- 17- 18 etc") has recently started to break up (ie parts of the numerals don't show) - I doubt this is related, but mention it anyway - and I'll need to fit a replacement aircon module to sort it.

Any ideas about the intermittent blowing problem?  Could it be both of the motorised flapper valves sticking (it seems unlikely that both would stick)? Or could the faulty dash module be the culprit?

Offline amanda

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 13
Re: Mk5 aircon only works intermittently
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 05:49:52 pm »
Checked the fuse??

Offline BristolBoy

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 06:24:21 pm »
Thinking it wouldn't be a fuse - once blown they stay blown, not intermittent. Could potentially be a dodgy connection, intermittently making and breaking - but the scenario I described has happened twice (possibly more, but not noticed) which might make a dodgy connection a bit unlikely.  Wondering whether there is a known fault that displays these symptoms?

Offline Shoduchi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 08:13:55 pm »
One of the air flaps must be faulty. Check with VCDS and you can always do a flap reset.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 08:16:45 pm »
Nice one @Shoduchi  :drinking:

Offline BristolBoy

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 09:35:35 pm »
Huge thanks @Shoduchi - fingers crossed this works in the morning, it could be the easiest fix ever !!!!!  :happy2:  :happy2:  :happy2:

Offline BristolBoy

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 06:54:00 pm »
Couldn't read the codes, as I don't have a reader, but did the reset this morning.  Lots of whirring sounds from the motor/s, so fingers crossed it's sorted.  Being an intermittent fault, I won't know for sure until the next long run - whenever that is.  Thanks again @Shoduchi .

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 01:15:24 am »
Hope I could help! :drinking: